Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Your advice on best banks in Oz

Your advice on best banks in Oz

Old Dec 27th 2007, 7:56 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough
Question Your advice on best banks in Oz

I currently have a Natwest account and the buggars are charging me on both my accounts now $6p/m and $3p/m (the latter has only been there for less than a year). I am a little peeved with them, since for the last 6 years I have been trying to avoid paying fees but they wouldn't waive the $6p/m charge and I am not happy when I add up the charges considering they don't do a great deal to earn that money!

So - I am due to come back (finally!) in four months with UK savings and a hubby, so want to find a good bank with good customer service that will go the extra mile for a loyal customer.

I understand for the intended mortage purposes that it may be better to stick with what I have but am out of touch and curious to hear peoples opinions on who they would choose.

I have dealt with Westpac and did like them, also know a little about Commonwealth, but thats about all I can recall.

Appreciate your thoughts and personal experiences.

Hope you all are having a lovely Xmas down under!
Old Dec 27th 2007, 9:58 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your advice on best banks in Oz

Originally Posted by Wheeler-Jones
I currently have a Natwest account and the buggars are charging me on both my accounts now $6p/m and $3p/m (the latter has only been there for less than a year). I am a little peeved with them, since for the last 6 years I have been trying to avoid paying fees but they wouldn't waive the $6p/m charge and I am not happy when I add up the charges considering they don't do a great deal to earn that money!

So - I am due to come back (finally!) in four months with UK savings and a hubby, so want to find a good bank with good customer service that will go the extra mile for a loyal customer.

I understand for the intended mortage purposes that it may be better to stick with what I have but am out of touch and curious to hear peoples opinions on who they would choose.

I have dealt with Westpac and did like them, also know a little about Commonwealth, but thats about all I can recall.

Westpac gets my vote, our branch at Burleigh on the GC is great!! C x
Old Dec 27th 2007, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Johnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond repute

We opened a Commonwealth Bank account (actually, Thribble did, but it was a joint account) from England before we left those shores and it was relatively easy. We could transfer money from our UK accounts to a Commonwealth Bank Account in London, this would automatically find its way to Western Australia three working days later.

We arrived in Melbourne at the end of February 2006, just as the Commonwealth Games were about to begin. Getting accommodation was tricky and so the pressure was on to find a place to rent. We found a place pretty quickly and were due to pay the first month's rent and bond (deposit) at 10am on a particular morning. Meanwhile, my brother had sold my car back in the UK, so we transferred the profit from that into the Commonwealth account to pay for the bond.

The day before the bond was due, we went to get a bank cheque (like a banker's draught). Firstly the security guard at the door tried to turn us away as it was 15:55 and they would be closing in five minutes. We insisted that they let us in and when we got to the counter were told the funds were not in the account. Three full working days had passed since the money had been deposited, yet there was no sign of it in our account. The bond had to be paid by noon the next day and we were more than a little anxious. The bank "couldn't" help us and suggested that we went back in the morning. We spent that evening conceiving contingency plans involving UK credit cards.

On the morning the bond was due we were outside the bank when it opened at 10:00. We asked for the bank cheque and again were told that the funds were not in the account. We highlighted that the money had been transferred into the Commonwealth Bank more than the prescribed three working days and backed this up with a print-out of a statement from or UK bank account. The branch manager made some calls and confirmed that the funds were on their way from London and would be in our account later that day.

"Excellent", I said, "so we can have the bank cheque".

"No", came the reply. The funds haven't cleared into our account yet!

:curse:

We had paid our money (clear funds, not a cheque or anything) into the Commonwealth Bank, but nearly a week later they still wouldn't let us access it. They wouldn't grant us an overdraft for a few hours, even though they had seen for themselves that the funds were in their own system. I was furious.

About eleven-thirty that morning we went into a different branch and it had transpired that our money had cleared and all was well with the World, we got our bank cheque and paid the bond on our new flat. I was still not happy with Commonwealth for the pains they'd put us through, though.

Within about a week, we'd opened an account with ANZ and have been really happy with the service we've received. Okay, the card we have says 'debit', but is actually treated by retailers as 'credit' because it's a Visa, but other than that, no complaints.

Hope this helps and Happy New Year!

--paj

Last edited by Johnsyweb; Dec 27th 2007 at 10:03 pm. Reason: Typos. Always typos.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnsyweb
Within about a week, we'd opened an account with ANZ and have been really happy with the service we've received. Okay, the card we have says 'debit', but is actually treated by retailers as 'credit' because it's a Visa, but other than that, no complaints.
--paj
I've been with ANZ for a few years (mortgage, credit card, three other accounts), have also been with Suncorp Metway, National (don't even go there!) - have found ANZ to be great so far. Customer service is pretty good, rarely have to go into the bank (that's when the trouble starts in my experience, if you use the internet or call centres, no problem at all). Cheques can take a long time to clear which is painful. I would recommend ANZ.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 12:20 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

There have been quite a few threads about banks on here.

Heres a Poll I found

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ight=bank+poll

HTH

Rach xxxx
Old Dec 28th 2007, 12:59 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

HSBC - no hassles, easy account set up, no problems since we joined them over 2 years ago. Mortgage and house/contents insurance with them as well, also no hassles
Old Dec 28th 2007, 2:37 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

were with the westpac,i tell you they treat us fantasticly...a billion times better than the tsb...
Old Dec 28th 2007, 2:48 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

I am with the Commonwealth and have found them very good and because i have a mortgage ,we dont pay any fees on our accounts .If we go overdrawn [which we dont ] we get whacked with a fee but thats par for the course with all the banks .
I in general have found all the banks helpful here in australia especially towards new migrants and by and large they wont give you the run around like british banks do when trying to get a mortgage .
They are certainly better than banks in britain where the answer always seems to be NO,NO,NO .

Last edited by king kong; Dec 28th 2007 at 2:51 am.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Bendigo Bank if you have it. They actually know us by first name when you go into the local branch. No account keeping fees, and no hassles.

I have both my mortgages with Members Equity Bank. If you are in an industry superannuation fund you can access ME Bank. Excellent mortgages.

Last edited by augigi; Dec 28th 2007 at 7:43 am.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

longreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud of

HSBC online savings account. No fees whatsoever and we have it linked to an ING account. Works very well and wouldn't hesitate in recommending them.

As for a mortgage, that very much depends on your circumstances.

Cheers,
Mark.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 8:20 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We're with the Commonwealth and from our perspective they have been brilliant. Great service when we first got here, to the extent that when we moved into our house the girls asked if we were having a house warming, we said no we don't know anyone. They said but Margaret at the bank is lovely, we should invite her Our local branch is superb. Other people hate the Commonwealth though so it's not the bank, it's the branch you deal with.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 8:37 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Somehow Westpac has won award for its' Rocket mortgage, and it has a 'ask once' policy. We are having numerous problems that we have highlighted to them on more than one occassion, chased for responses, and are still waiting for them to do something.

A bank that can not arrange a mortgage, reminds of the phrase of not being able to organise a piss up in a brewery
Old Dec 28th 2007, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

We are with the Commonwealth Bank and have found them to be very good. We have our mortgage with them so have no account fees and we also have our business account there. We always get excellent service from the customer service team when we go into the branch, the only thing I wish they would change.........is the bank manager.........she is a pain.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 8:53 am
Account Closed

The OH is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by walaj
Somehow Westpac has won award for its' Rocket mortgage, and it has a 'ask once' policy. We are having numerous problems that we have highlighted to them on more than one occassion, chased for responses, and are still waiting for them to do something.

A bank that can not arrange a mortgage, reminds of the phrase of not being able to organise a piss up in a brewery
I agree, they need a 'Rocket' up their arse.

The local finance manager has really messed up with the Stage payment now overdue..not impressed
Old Dec 28th 2007, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

St George -very happy customer. Because I have my salary paid into my account I pay no fees at all. Also has good interest on internet savings accounts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.