Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Youngys house build/trinity beach cairns

Youngys house build/trinity beach cairns

Old Sep 15th 2008, 11:57 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Youngys house build/trinity beach cairns

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
Silly question, but are the louvres at the front just wood? Will that not be drafty, and easy to get into?

Looking great anyway
the louvres in the front are just wood. you can get cheaper louvres that dont seal. these ones have a rubber seal so when they are closed they seal for both air movement and noise. if someone wants to break in they will have to smash the louvres out so theres no difference between doing that and smashing a window. the louvres will be open for most of the time anyway. our prevailing wind comes towards the front of the property. this is why there are lots of louvres on the front to allow the maximum air flow through the property. council regulations dictated that we had to have atleast one full window at the front of the property hence the one full window in our bedroom.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 12:14 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by youngy73
the louvres in the front are just wood. you can get cheaper louvres that dont seal. these ones have a rubber seal so when they are closed they seal for both air movement and noise. if someone wants to break in they will have to smash the louvres out so theres no difference between doing that and smashing a window. the louvres will be open for most of the time anyway. our prevailing wind comes towards the front of the property. this is why there are lots of louvres on the front to allow the maximum air flow through the property. council regulations dictated that we had to have atleast one full window at the front of the property hence the one full window in our bedroom.
Ok....what about mozzies and things?
Old Sep 15th 2008, 12:44 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Not the mozzies that would worry me, it's the 'things' He's obviously a lot braver than me
Old Sep 15th 2008, 12:52 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Not the mozzies that would worry me, it's the 'things' He's obviously a lot braver than me

He's building right in the middle of the rainforest too.
Probably get one or two grass snakes popping through them louvres.
They are only 20 foot long.

The snakes that is, not the louvres.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 2:34 pm

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Spiders? Lizards? Snakes? Flying Cockroaches? (or just the bog standard ones)
have I missed anything?
Old Sep 15th 2008, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Bix
He's building right in the middle of the rainforest too.
Probably get one or two grass snakes popping through them louvres.
They are only 20 foot long.

The snakes that is, not the louvres.
...anything like this one?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/attac...4&d=1221134847
Old Sep 15th 2008, 9:43 pm
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

we had louvres in our last rental and they had fly screens same as any other window
Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:41 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

we will be having a mixture or fly screen and crimsafe. just fly screen over the louvres ( as they are as secure as any fixed window) and crimsafe over the opening windows. its getting to crunch time now and ive just added up all the pennies. so far we are at 1/2 a million. thats including deposits for a few things and the build as you see it. we are looking good for a total build cost of $670,000. we might even have some money for little treats like blinds and landscaping.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:47 am
youngy73

if you get a big snake in the house just grab it by the tail, swing it around your head and launch it. snakes have yet to figure out centrifugal force
Attached Thumbnails Youngys house build/trinity beach cairns-1.jpg  
Old Sep 18th 2008, 10:01 am
youngy73

well i must have tempted fate with all this talk of security screens. last night some low life theiving c^&* decided to burgal our build. i went to open the site this morning and noticed quite a few of my louvres missing. upon closer inspection they had been smashed in and once entry was gained they removed a few more and took them away. they also stole about $2000 worth of materials and tools. this means although we still dont have power i will be camping there until the build is finished. this is one of very few times in my life when i have felt physically sick. we have had the louvres replaced today but the galleries are stuffed. we could claim on insuranse but with the excess and the hassle its probably not worth it. i now have to disrupt my life and routine and live there for the next 8 or so weeks until we move in. this pretty much means the end of this thread. so i hope everyone has enjoyed reading it and i will put an update on once we are in but i doubt i will be posting regularly as i will effectively be camping at the site. im gutted but this is the world we live in. paradise, im not so sure.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 10:02 am
youngy73

apologies for the language but im about as pissed off as i get right now
Old Sep 18th 2008, 10:13 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by youngy73
apologies for the language but im about as pissed off as i get right now
No need to apologiece for having low life do the dirty on you mate.

Hope the 8 weeks goes quickly with no more drama's

Now there is a use for all those stray snakes

Big box left with "Dont Touch" on outside - well thats enough warning for them
Old Sep 18th 2008, 10:53 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry that you have to go through the trauma of burglary at this stage of the build. You are probably doing the right thing by staying in the place until it's finished - the cottage industry of theft from building sites reaches its most profitable phase when the kitchen and appliance fitting is done, and you are obviously in a vulnerable area.

Just about every build that I know around here has had supplies nicked, windows smashed, heating units go walkabouts and so on - we were very fortunate in not being taken - although one day we found the padlock on the fence gate wouldn't open with our key and we suspected it had been changed overnight with the intention of the perpetrators returning and letting themselves in with their own key.

Good luck.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 11:29 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Bummer. Hope they stay away once you're camping. Don't go being a hero if any scum do come back though. Fingers crossed the rest of the build goes smoothly.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Barstewards:curse:

Sorry to hear of your bad luck. As MP says, just be careful staying there on your own.

Look forward to your completed house update!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.