Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Youngys house build/trinity beach cairns

Youngys house build/trinity beach cairns

Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

TheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really nice
Default Re: Youngys house build/trinity beach cairns

Great progress, please keep posting, you're showing a lot of people just how hard yet rewarding building can be...
Old Sep 4th 2008, 8:25 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It's all looking brilliant. It must be so satisfying seeing your dreams come to fruition. Oh and we don't need any more spider pics. We know what they look like thanks
Old Sep 4th 2008, 9:18 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

sorry for the spider pictures. they are plastic ones, honest.
the pool guys http://www.placidpools.com.au/compon...ose/Itemid,85/
have finished all there piping and its getting concreted tomorrow morning. its my last day at work so i wont be able to be there.i might see if i can get there somehow.
im really exited about the pool and how its looking. its sort of how we thought it was going to be but as we have let gary run with the design there are little surprises here and there. the light , spa jets, waterfall pipes are all installed.
the gyprocking continued today and we can really get a feel for the rooms now. stephs already saying we need new (colour matched) towels for the guests. bugger the guests. they can have the 5 year old hotel towels

bradnams ( the biggest glass company in oz) failed to turn up and finish the windows today.we still do not have the keys to the doors therefore still cannot lock the house up. there were a few minor issues with the windows and the branch manager told me i was only the 4th person in 18 years of him being in the business to complain about this installation method. it was basically a bit rough. the branch manager is a good mates brother in law and i have accepted that this is there standard installation procedure. funnily enough on the last 2 banks of louvres to be installed the installation method altered. i think the subbies were just lazy and trying to rattle the job off. the customer suffers as usual. there is no come back so it aint worth trying to fight it and unless these things are pointed out very few would notice the problem. it is frustrating though when you try hard only to be let down by others. first rule of house building is dont take it to heart. there not doing it deliberately. remember, you are the only one who gives a rats arse about the end result.
Attached Thumbnails Youngys house build/trinity beach cairns-img_1322.jpg   Youngys house build/trinity beach cairns-img_1323.jpg   Youngys house build/trinity beach cairns-img_1324.jpg   Youngys house build/trinity beach cairns-img_1326.jpg   Youngys house build/trinity beach cairns-img_1327.jpg  

Last edited by youngy73; Sep 4th 2008 at 9:23 am.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:24 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

The pool looks huge you have probably said somewhere how big it is.

How big is the land you've probably said that somewhere to sorry.

Have you got a new job to go to Rich notice you said it was your last day, sorry being a nosey bag now.

Kaye
Old Sep 4th 2008, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

It's looking great!
When's the housewarming?
Old Sep 4th 2008, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Location: West Sussex till end of 2009- then somewhere sunnier
john& becky is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm also following the thread with interest but haven't posted before so just thought I'd add my moral support. Looks fantastic.

Originally Posted by youngy73
there not doing it deliberately. remember, you are the only one who gives a rats arse about the end result.
As a dedicated, hard working, concientious plumber I'm not sure how to take that.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 2:43 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wardy2
The pool looks huge you have probably said somewhere how big it is.

How big is the land you've probably said that somewhere to sorry.

Have you got a new job to go to Rich notice you said it was your last day, sorry being a nosey bag now.

Kaye
the pool is not as big as it looks. the block is 1/4 acre. should have another job by the end of today.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 9:20 am
youngy73

the pool was sprayed today. here are a couple of photos.we are very happy with it so far. i also managed to get the house to lock up today . i went and picked up a set of keys from bradnams ( still not finished) and then boarded up the missing louvres. the house is secure. i was then being really sad and sitting in my swimming pool as it got dark having a teddy's and then the street lights came on. the whole project so far has required a generator. this means we have power. i put the forms in a while ago using my previous employers number. hopefully he doesnt get arsy and pull the form A. fingers crossed.
Attached Thumbnails Youngys house build/trinity beach cairns-img_1331.jpg   Youngys house build/trinity beach cairns-img_1332.jpg   Youngys house build/trinity beach cairns-img_1333.jpg   Youngys house build/trinity beach cairns-img_1338.jpg   Youngys house build/trinity beach cairns-img_1339.jpg  

Old Sep 5th 2008, 9:22 am
youngy73

some more photos of the pool.
Attached Thumbnails Youngys house build/trinity beach cairns-img_1340.jpg   Youngys house build/trinity beach cairns-img_1341.jpg   Youngys house build/trinity beach cairns-img_1342.jpg  
Old Sep 6th 2008, 4:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hurrah! Lock-up stage reached
Old Sep 6th 2008, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of

also a thankyou to the posters. at times i cant be bothered to keep the thread going but if people are reading it i will keep posting.
Sorry I'm guilty of regulary checking on this thread as we are going to be building next year, but I never post on it! The detail and information you give is so helpful!! Please keep it going!
Old Sep 12th 2008, 10:51 am
youngy73

today we had an expensive shock. so far during the build we have had a good idea on prices and we are very close to our estimated cost of $1000 a sqm ( house, driveway,earthworks and retaining wall) so we are happy. When we started out Steph mentioned that she liked the drains in the bathroom that look like drainage channels opposed to the usual round or square floor wastes ( cost around $50 for a decent one. most spec home ones you can get for $15.) We somehow just didnt bother following it through the design stage and we were going for the regular type of waste. I happened to be there when the plumber (shane) was doing the underslab and i new steph was keen on them so i asked him to move the drainage position (regular floor wastes go into the centre of the floor and the channel type waste are usually set back against a wall and all the water flows into them) so we could fit the channel type wastes. That was that and i thought no more of it. Steph was pleased as punch. job done, in the good books. The tiler will hopefully start in a week or so so we needed to go and order these channel wastes. We have 3 bathrooms and when the girl from reece told me the price for a 900mm x 100mm waste i fell over. $517 each. So thats $1554 that we have to pay. Let this be a lesson to any would be builders. price everything. no matter how insignificant it may seem. hopefully that is the last surprise
Old Sep 12th 2008, 12:45 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

At least it will look nice

You geordies like to spend money, oh hold on that might not be true judging by my husbands face after i've been shopping h it Rich when your house looks stunning.

keep your house warming til after we arrive in january though
Old Sep 12th 2008, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

You are in Steph's good books - priceless
For everything else, there's mastercard
Old Sep 14th 2008, 3:49 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

We had the front door installed today so this brings us one step closer to lock up. the bifold and ensuite 2 door go in tomorrow fingers crossed.. on either side of the front door there will be a full bank of louvres. this is why we chose the translucent glass for the front door so the front of the house can be completely private. the suffeits were also installed into the portico and the roof guy came back to fix the roof up. he still managed to miss the dropper for the down pipe though.
we had a minor issue with the roof today. for some reason the roof trusses were not engineered to take the solar hotwater so we were unable to provide the certification for the certifier when he checked the roof today. its getting the gyprock fitted tomorrow so i have to get the chippy back first thing tomorrow to brace the trusses which have been re engineered to take the load of the hotwater system. probably going to cost us another $500 which wasnt budgeted for. i also quit my job today as id had a gut full which leaves me without a vehicle. ive got a few things in the pipeline so its no worries. steph continued the painting on her days off and the pool guys are coming back tomorrow. steph also managed to find a huntsman spider on site today. its turning into a wildlife thread.
also a thankyou to the posters. at times i cant be bothered to keep the thread going but if people are reading it i will keep posting.
Silly question, but are the louvres at the front just wood? Will that not be drafty, and easy to get into?

Looking great anyway

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.