Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

young son having problems with emigrating

young son having problems with emigrating

Old Jul 19th 2006, 1:14 pm
Loving the Sunshine

anewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud of
Default young son having problems with emigrating

We are going to Brisbane on Aug 29th, we are staying in Manly West, got a six month let there, and then we will take it from there. My wife and I are pretty easy going people and we like a or two. Oh, and we are going to see Robbie (wifes idea, honest) in December.

Our youngest son, who has just turned nine, has suddenly started to play up, and now he says he doesnt want to go to Australia. He is being naughty at school, shouting at his older (21 + 19) brothers, and us! His first angle was that he was going to die in Australia as the spiders will get him, we reassured him and calmed him down and I think we got that one sorted.

I really think it is the fear of the unknown that is really getting to him. He has a good circle of friends, is doing well with his schooling and sports and I guess he thinks all this will go once he moves. We are trying to get him to see the positives in moving, we have even agreed he can have a pet when we get down under (but not at the rental!)

I am hoping for two things. Has anybody else been through this kind of thing, I am sure somebody has and can you offer us any advice on how to get through it.

Secondly, We were thinking that if he had a penpal of somebody roughly his own age that he can start emailing (or MSN), then the transistion may be easier for him. Does anybody know of, or have, children around his age that wouldnt mind helping him out (okay, helping us out!)

Here's hoping

Paul
Old Jul 19th 2006, 1:27 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: young son having problems with emigrating

Originally Posted by anewlife

Here's hoping

Paul
Hi Paul

Have you looked at Google Earth? We were able to show our 7 year old his new house, school, the walk to the beach and even the footpath that we'll walk down to get to the sea!
It really helped him to get his head around it all and when we got here, it all appeared normal to him.

Hope this idea helps?

Neil.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

I can't really offer any advice but just wanted to say that I'm sure your son will be OK.

The web is great and he will be able to stay in touch with his friends via msn and e-mail. There are loads of great websites so it might be worth showing him some of those so he can get a good idea of what it is going to be like. Google Earth is brilliant too.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 3:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anewlife
We are going to Brisbane on Aug 29th, we are staying in Manly West, got a six month let there, and then we will take it from there. My wife and I are pretty easy going people and we like a or two. Oh, and we are going to see Robbie (wifes idea, honest) in December.

Our youngest son, who has just turned nine, has suddenly started to play up, and now he says he doesnt want to go to Australia. He is being naughty at school, shouting at his older (21 + 19) brothers, and us! His first angle was that he was going to die in Australia as the spiders will get him, we reassured him and calmed him down and I think we got that one sorted.

I really think it is the fear of the unknown that is really getting to him. He has a good circle of friends, is doing well with his schooling and sports and I guess he thinks all this will go once he moves. We are trying to get him to see the positives in moving, we have even agreed he can have a pet when we get down under (but not at the rental!)

I am hoping for two things. Has anybody else been through this kind of thing, I am sure somebody has and can you offer us any advice on how to get through it.

Secondly, We were thinking that if he had a penpal of somebody roughly his own age that he can start emailing (or MSN), then the transistion may be easier for him. Does anybody know of, or have, children around his age that wouldnt mind helping him out (okay, helping us out!)

Here's hoping

Paul

Have you decided what school he will be going to? As it may help to have a 'buddy' from his new school to answer any questions that may concern him
also when he does start school he will 'know ' someone already.
We are planning on doing that. My sons class teacher suggested it and has even offered to help with a link to the school when we get to that stage.
A 9 year old can be an awkward age.
My 8 year old has similar issues.
good luck
Mandy
Old Jul 20th 2006, 4:16 pm
Loving the Sunshine

anewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
Have you decided what school he will be going to? As it may help to have a 'buddy' from his new school to answer any questions that may concern him
also when he does start school he will 'know ' someone already.
We are planning on doing that. My sons class teacher suggested it and has even offered to help with a link to the school when we get to that stage.
A 9 year old can be an awkward age.
My 8 year old has similar issues.
good luck
Mandy
Thanks all of you for your ideas and kind thoughts.

I will definetely try the Google Earth idea, sounds like a good one. We will be trying to find him a school to attend over the weekend, going to try and involve him in choosing the school, with a little "guidance" from us, if you know what I mean. If we can get him to choose the school and we can penpal somebody at the school, I think that will help, otherwise its lots and hugs and attention and constant reassurance I think!

Thanks to all that replied!
Old Jul 20th 2006, 7:23 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We're going to Adelaide, so not much help with your son in Brisbane, but my now 10 year old went through something similar not too long ago. My 12 year old daughter acted as pen-pal for another girl her age from the forum a few months ago and it was nice for both of them to have someone to talk to.
I will PM you my email address if your son would like someone his own age to email. I know my son would love it. He doesn't really have too many friends his own age that are on the computer.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of light

As he is into sport tell him sport is even bigger here than U.K. my son does loads more here than he ever used to, hardly ever watches T.V. now.

He wiil be ok, I think sometimes with all the preparation is possibly life loses some normality, we tried to put it aside alittle before we came so it didn't seem so overwhelming and didn't mention it so much.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 11:19 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

My son was 5 when we came out so it was a little different but he has schoolmates who have come over more recently at the age of 9. They have fitted in easily, made new friends and joined sports teams. There are lots of kids in simialr situations who join schools at that sort of age.

There is a lot more sports activity for kids here and it will be an easy way of making new friends. Also, sho him on the web some of the stuff that he will be coming to such as South Bank or dolphin feeding at Tangalooma. Also promise to get an annual pass for one of the local theme parks, SeaWorld, Wet n Wild, Dreamworld or Movieworld; all less than an hour from Brissy.

If he plays soccer then that is a big activity here for schoolkids. Queensland Roar are the local team who play at Suncorp Stadium where Robbie Williams is playing (see you there).