Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Young professional looking to move to Melbourne/ Sydney

Young professional looking to move to Melbourne/ Sydney

Old Jun 11th 2013, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

PRyoungprofessional is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Young professional looking to move to Melbourne/ Sydney

I'm young PR professional, 23, looking to make the move to Aus to help further my career and for a bit of an adventure! I've heard that PR is a growing industry over there and would love to be a part of it. I have 18 months experience in my field, but I'm worried about finding work. Initially I thought Sydney would be the best option but after doing some research I understand that living expenses are pretty high, so am now also considering Melbourne. Would anyone be able to give me some advice about either city, or any tips on finding work/ somewhere to live over there. I would really appreciate any advice from anyone who's more knowledgeable than me! Thanks
Old Jun 11th 2013, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young professional looking to move to Melbourne/ Sydney

Do you have - or can you get - a visa to live and work here?

That's priority number 1..
Old Jun 11th 2013, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

PRyoungprofessional is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Nicky - I've looked and I seem to be eligible for a working holiday visa, but ideally I'd be hoping for a sponsor. I wasn't sure whether I would be able to secure one while I was still living in UK or if I would ave to bite the bullet and move first?
Old Jun 11th 2013, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PRyoungprofessional
Hi Nicky - I've looked and I seem to be eligible for a working holiday visa, but ideally I'd be hoping for a sponsor. I wasn't sure whether I would be able to secure one while I was still living in UK or if I would ave to bite the bullet and move first?
Some people do come over on a working holiday visa, find a company that likes them and get sponsored. But they are usually a little older than you, maybe late 20s rather than early 20s and have established themselves in a career. That is what makes them attractive to employers.

Your 18 months of experience might. Just get you a foot in the door, but on the other hand you might be perceived as someone who still needs a lot of development and as your WHV only permits 6 months with any one employer, you might find it hard to find someone that would take you on. In a nutshell, a working holiday visa and "furthering your career" are incongruent.

I think you should either wait a couple more years to make yourself more marketable, or go on a WHV but be prepared for it being just that, a holiday with perhaps a bit of work thrown in.