Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Young, middle aged lady enjoying it here but need more friends!

Young, middle aged lady enjoying it here but need more friends!

Old Oct 23rd 2006, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

you go girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Young, middle aged lady enjoying it here but need more friends!

Originally Posted by lollyno1
im coming over by myself as well, no family over there, im young at heart, (what do you consider middle aged, coz im not admitting to it.)

unfortunately im going to SA and will be settling miles from adelaide.

glad your having such a good time.

regards

lolly
Thank you for your reply and good luck to you on your move. I wish you all the luck in the world. I love it here in Perth, but am sure that SA is also great.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 11:04 am
Sunning it up in Benowa

Location: Body in benowa, Mind in Benowa, the whole fricking thing in benowa MAN !!!!!
Jane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young, middle aged lady enjoying it here but need more friends!

Originally Posted by you go girl
Well 9 months down the line, can honestly say I have no regrets about making this giant move. I did on it all on my own too!!!I am finding the people very friendly and settled into the aussie way of life very easily. My son, who has been here some years, knew I would not have any problems, as I am very relaxed and outgoing.I am working fulltime, and have made some friends all of whom are great but are married or in relationships, so really do their own thing in the evenings or the weekend. So would really like to meet some new friends, in a similar situation, to share the experiences that Australia has to offer. I live South of the the River, as they say, and have my own car. Love all sorts of music, including folk, opera and rock!! Love the countryside and animals, the beach and eating out. Also love the theatre and have joined the local amateur theatre group. I often do things on my own, including emigrating here, but it's nice to have company. I am a nanna, but don't get to see my grandkids as often as I would like. There is so much to see and do here, and would love to pool ideas with some other folks.
So where the bloody hell are you all?????????

Hey Suzanne,

How are you doing ?? this is the 2nd post I have just read with my name in it I am started to get paranoid lol
It was great to talk to you when we first got here, and if we ever make it over to Perth, which I am sure we will someday, we will definitely come and see you.
i wish you all the luck at adding to your social circle, I am sure you will have no probs at all ..... Hey guys I can recommend this lady, she is a fun loving and thoughtfully nice lady, I would go out on a girly night with her any day
good luck hunny (you go girl !!!!)
Jane
xx
Old Oct 24th 2006, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jane and Russ Middleton
Hey Suzanne,

How are you doing ?? this is the 2nd post I have just read with my name in it I am started to get paranoid lol
It was great to talk to you when we first got here, and if we ever make it over to Perth, which I am sure we will someday, we will definitely come and see you.
i wish you all the luck at adding to your social circle, I am sure you will have no probs at all ..... Hey guys I can recommend this lady, she is a fun loving and thoughtfully nice lady, I would go out on a girly night with her any day
good luck hunny (you go girl !!!!)
Jane
xx

Hi Jane
Thanks for your lovely post. Really pleased you are enjoying your life. We knew it would be good didn't we? Still waiting for my permanent visa to be granted, applied not long after settling in perth. They are dragging their heels. Its their loss, as I am accumulating interest on the money that I will have to pay them , as the 2nd instalment of my contributory parent visa. Also could not claim the $6k tax allowance so am being taxed up to the eyeballs. However this is not a whinge. It will all come right. My friends Paul and Nikki have settled in Adelaide. He has got work straight away in the building trade, he used to own his own company, and Nikki is doing her beautician bit in a mens salon, with quite famous personalities as clients. Not that she knows who they are!!!! Are your kids talking with an aussie twang yet? My friends think I do, although aussies dont thinkso, tehe.Some nice folk on here have recommended websites to look up to meet new friends. Well carry on enjoying yourselves.Love Suzanne
Old Oct 24th 2006, 11:11 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Suzanne,

Why can't you claim the tax free allowance? Aren't you a tax resident of Australia? Have I missed something?

Best regards.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Suzanne,

Why can't you claim the tax free allowance? Aren't you a tax resident of Australia? Have I missed something?

Best regards.
I have migrated here under the contributory parents visa. I paid the first half before coming here, therefore am a temp.resident I have now applied for the permanent visa and am waiting to hear when they want the 2nd half.
I was advised of the situation by a tax consultant, Once I have permanent residency I will get the allowance. In the meantime I am paying extra tax voluntarily to do a catch up on this tax year. Presumably I have been advised correctly? Thanks for your interest.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 11:27 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Suzanne,

I think the tax consultant is probably wrong - I have heard a worrying number of tales about tax advisors not understanding visa issues. They see "temporary" on the visa and think that equals non-residence for tax purposes.

In other words, your visa status is not the same as your tax status: people who are residing in Australia as the holders of long term temporary residency visas can (and usually would be) considered to be tax residents, and therefore entitled to the tax free threshold and effective lower rates of income tax which apply to tax residents of Australia.

The other issue that complicates your situation is that from 1 July 2006 Australia is taxing "temporary tax residents" differently:
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=374

I'd therefore recommend a review of your tax position, as you may well be due a tax repayment ...

Best regards.

I have migrated here under the contributory parents visa. I paid the first half before coming here, therefore am a temp.resident I have now applied for the permanent visa and am waiting to hear when they want the 2nd half.
I was advised of the situation by a tax consultant, Once I have permanent residency I will get the allowance. In the meantime I am paying extra tax voluntarily to do a catch up on this tax year. Presumably I have been advised correctly? Thanks for your interest.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 2:10 am
wannabejillaroo

jillany is an unknown quantity at this point

Well 9 months down the line, can honestly say I have no regrets about making this giant move. I did on it all on my own too!!!I am finding the people very friendly and settled into the aussie way of life very easily. My son, who has been here some years, knew I would not have any problems, as I am very relaxed and outgoing.I am working fulltime, and have made some friends all of whom are great but are married or in relationships, so really do their own thing in the evenings or the weekend. So would really like to meet some new friends, in a similar situation, to share the experiences that Australia has to offer. I live South of the the River, as they say, and have my own car. Love all sorts of music, including folk, opera and rock!! Love the countryside and animals, the beach and eating out. Also love the theatre and have joined the local amateur theatre group. I often do things on my own, including emigrating here, but it's nice to have company. I am a nanna, but don't get to see my grandkids as often as I would like. There is so much to see and do here, and would love to pool ideas with some other folks.

You sound like you are full of getting ready to go.
I am also a grandmother, on her own, looking to start a new life, to be closer to my kids. I will be moving to Brisbane area, and have managed to go just about every year to visit with my family. I have no family here, only my ex. Both my kids emmigrated over there and want me to join them. I met several people on RSVP. and met a nice guy last time I was there and we are going to be meeting up again when I return again in Jan. I also went to an ex pats meeting when I was there. Great bunch of people . I live in Canada now, before that S.Africa. and before that U.K. Been around a bit. Only Australia left. Loved every one of them.

How did you go about emmigrating as a grandmother? Was it difficult?
Old Oct 28th 2006, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

Wink Re: Young, middle aged lady enjoying it here but need more friends!

Originally Posted by jillany
You sound like you are full of getting ready to go.
I am also a grandmother, on her own, looking to start a new life, to be closer to my kids. I will be moving to Brisbane area, and have managed to go just about every year to visit with my family. I have no family here, only my ex. Both my kids emmigrated over there and want me to join them. I met several people on RSVP. and met a nice guy last time I was there and we are going to be meeting up again when I return again in Jan. I also went to an ex pats meeting when I was there. Great bunch of people . I live in Canada now, before that S.Africa. and before that U.K. Been around a bit. Only Australia left. Loved every one of them.

How did you go about emmigrating as a grandmother? Was it difficult?
I am not actually close to my son, as I am in Perth and he is in Sydney.But closer than when I was in the UK! We try and get to see each other as often as possible. He lives there with his 2nd wife, her 3 kids and my 2 baby grandsons. But his first wife and my granddaughter aged 5 are in Perth so I try to see a lot of her.
I didn't migrate as a grandmother but as a parent, under the contributory parent visa. Sounds like you have been having a ball with all your travelling! This is a terrific country and I am very glad I came here. I am sure you will not be sorry to settle in Brissy. Good on yer!!
Old Oct 28th 2006, 4:37 pm
wannabejillaroo

jillany is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Young, middle aged lady enjoying it here but need more friends!

I am not actually close to my son, as I am in Perth and he is in Sydney.But closer than when I was in the UK! We try and get to see each other as often as possible. He lives there with his 2nd wife, her 3 kids and my 2 baby grandsons. But his first wife and my granddaughter aged 5 are in Perth so I try to see a lot of her.
I didn't migrate as a grandmother but as a parent, under the contributory parent visa. Sounds like you have been having a ball with all your travelling! This is a terrific country and I am very glad I came here. I am sure you will not be sorry to settle in Brissy. Good on yer!!

Nice to hear back from you. You still have a lot of travelling to do, but it must be nice to be able to do it with them both being in the same country. For the longest time my daughter lived in U.K. and my son in Australia and myself in Canada. Made it hard on the heart and the pocket. All my other family are still in U.K. I was the only one to fly the coop.
Don't get to see them as much as I would like either. Where did you live in the U.K?

How long did the parent visa take to go through for you?

I know I won't be sorry. Will just be hard leaving friends here - again, but then I guess I should be used to leaving friends behind. They are all telling me go for it. My daughter told me about you, she has been on this site for a while now, and said we had a lot in common, so should contact you.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Young, middle aged lady enjoying it here but need more friends!

All the best to you! Hope things work out. Seems to be a friendly country so I am sure you will meet loads of folk! Take care and enjoy every minute.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

Talking Re: Young, middle aged lady enjoying it here but need more friends!

Originally Posted by jillany
Nice to hear back from you. You still have a lot of travelling to do, but it must be nice to be able to do it with them both being in the same country. For the longest time my daughter lived in U.K. and my son in Australia and myself in Canada. Made it hard on the heart and the pocket. All my other family are still in U.K. I was the only one to fly the coop.
Don't get to see them as much as I would like either. Where did you live in the U.K?

How long did the parent visa take to go through for you?

I know I won't be sorry. Will just be hard leaving friends here - again, but then I guess I should be used to leaving friends behind. They are all telling me go for it. My daughter told me about you, she has been on this site for a while now, and said we had a lot in common, so should contact you.
I have been well used to saying goodbye to my eldest son at airports, in fact I often didn't go to see him off, as it got harder(he doesn't know this)He travelled all over the world once he got his degree.In fact before that even. he started at 16. I have another slightly younger son still in UK, who is coming out to visit at Christmas, and I am hoping he will decide to emigrate here too eventually. If you want to write, my email addie is [email protected]. I was born in London but emigrated from Northants. Took me about 18 months to get here, as I had a hip operation in between applying and arriving. Having 2nd hip done here, early part of coming year. Its him and my friends I miss from UK. Don't miss anything else. Spent this morning at Freo beach with my granddaughter, blowing the cobwebs away and recharging my batteries ready for the weeks work ahead, bliss. When are you arriving in Brissy?
Old Oct 29th 2006, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by brissydeb
All the best to you! Hope things work out. Seems to be a friendly country so I am sure you will meet loads of folk! Take care and enjoy every minute.

Thanks!!