Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Young Family - Looking for good location with great schools, homes and close to beach

Young Family - Looking for good location with great schools, homes and close to beach

Old May 12th 2007, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

jackoflynn is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Young Family - Looking for good location with great schools, homes and close to beach

We are moving to Brisbane in December and had previously been looking at North Lakes/Redcliffe for potential areas to move to but having read come of the comments we would like suggestions for other areas either north or south but with approx 40 mins commute. We are looking for nice home maybe new dev with good schools and also a bit of life about the place. Any help would be great.
My wife is a Nurse and I am a Software Engineer any job info woul be great also

Thanks,
Jack, Maria and Kids.
Old May 12th 2007, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young Family - Looking for good location with great schools, homes and close to b

Originally Posted by jackoflynn
We are moving to Brisbane in December and had previously been looking at North Lakes/Redcliffe for potential areas to move to but having read come of the comments we would like suggestions for other areas either north or south but with approx 40 mins commute. We are looking for nice home maybe new dev with good schools and also a bit of life about the place. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Jack, Maria and Kids.

First of all - welcome

I'm sure someone will give you advice in the area you have mentioned - tis Sunday and Mothers day here so...........

There are some lovely places in and around Brisbane with a heck of a lot going on (have been there a few times and visited friends etc) so I am sure you will be able to find what you are looking for. A 40 min commute between work and home will open up a lot of areas for you.

By your comments I take it you are both coming over without securing jobs first? Your wife being a nurse shld find work fairly quickly as there is a shortage here too. Software engineer, not sure but Brisbane shld be a good place to start.

Good luck and have fun along the way
Old May 12th 2007, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

jackoflynn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Young Family - Looking for good location with great schools, homes and close to b

I will apply for jobs before leaving but it wont prevent us from coming, I can turn my hand to anything. We have a couple of houses to sell here so we should have a good bit of capital to come over with!
I grew up in adelaide for 4 years between 1981-85 and have citizenship so the move shoudl hopefully go a bit smoother, not sure about dhss payments etc out there but touch wood wont need them
Old May 12th 2007, 11:41 pm
Gold Coast and Loving it.

nick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Young Family - Looking for good location with great schools, homes and close to b

Thanks,
Jack, Maria and Kids.
Hi mate and welcome to BE.

We were looking at Brisbane before we got here as I had a financial background although IT as well.

Settled on the Gold Coast and haven't looked back. The Gold Coast Hospital is in the centre and they are always advertising for jobs. Varsity Lakes is looking to become the IT capital of Queensland and there are plenty of IT companies down here as well.

In regards to the Beach well, pretty much anywhere on the Gold Coast is only 15 mins from the best beaches in the world.

Over 1000 people are moving to the Gold Coast every week, from abroad and interstate, don't know why !!

You can find a little information on Robina and Varsity Lakes here.

http://www.intheheartofrobina.com.au

My head office is in Brisbane and you are looking at an hours drive or a less stressful hour on the train !

Personally I would find a job down on the coast !

Nick
Old May 13th 2007, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

I will apply for jobs before leaving but it wont prevent us from coming, I can turn my hand to anything. We have a couple of houses to sell here so we should have a good bit of capital to come over with!
I grew up in adelaide for 4 years between 1981-85 and have citizenship so the move shoudl hopefully go a bit smoother, not sure about dhss payments etc out there but touch wood wont need them

Well there ya go You will def have a better start than a lot of people on here, two houses to sell eh. And you have citizenship too - that will make quite a few things a lot easier for you then You also know a bit abt Australia growing up for a few years in Adelaide and you have an open mind about your job prospects - sounds like you will be absolutely fine

Gill
Old May 13th 2007, 9:09 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Gold Coast is only 45/60mins from Brissy. Been here 9 months and loving it.
Good Luck on where ever you decide.
Old May 13th 2007, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold

why doesnt your wife contact queensland health they are coming back over in june to interview again in london and manchester. some jobs will be held open for 12 months so give you plenty of time to settle in before she starts work
good luck
Old May 13th 2007, 12:26 pm
Banned

Dom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nick72
In regards to the Beach well, pretty much anywhere on the Gold Coast is only 15 mins from the best beaches in the world.
ROTFWL Do me a favour.