Reload this Page >

Young couple looking at moving to Aus in 2010

Young couple looking at moving to Aus in 2010

Old Aug 26th 2008, 3:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat114 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Young couple looking at moving to Aus in 2010

Hi,

My partner (Samantha 18) and me (Ian 23) are looking at the possibility of moving to Australia in a couple of years time, however we are looking for some help & advice from people who have already emmigrated or are in the process of it.

I'm currently an IT Network Support Technician - I'm aiming to get some decent Microsoft qualifications under my belt whilst Sam is going back to college to study for an NNEB in Child Care for 2 years. So we would be looking at going over around 2010/11. Is it too early to think about it, or are we doing the right thing to start thinking about it all?

Sam would like to continue studying after college and become a primary school teacher - and we are looking at the possibility of her studying in Aus - would this be a good idea and is it possible rather than staying in UK to do it?

What steps would we need to take either now, or in the near future to make this all become reality?

Sam has a Grandfather and some cousins in Aus already - is this beneficial Visa wise?

We are still both living at home - so do not have a house to sell, and would be looking to buy somewhere over there. What finances would we be looking to need to purchase a house/move there.

Hopefully some of you may be able to help us!

Old Aug 26th 2008, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Alborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to all
Default Re: Young couple looking at moving to Aus in 2010

I would've thought the main thing you need to do is look at the different types of visa's, see which one is best for you then see what you need to do to get the points. Its all about the points and more often than not work experience.

Alot depends on which visa you are going for. eg. If you haven't got degree's either think about getting one or learn a trade. Being so young you could go out on a student visa and study/start a new career in Oz then continue onto PR. Or you could go out on a WHV and take it from there.

Sounds like you need to do some homework visa wise http://www.immi.gov.au/
Old Aug 26th 2008, 3:57 pm
Account Closed

Well from my point of view - A skilled visa entry seems to be a good route for me - as my job in IT is on the current skilled workers list - or I could apply for a job and be sponsored by an employer - either by applying directly or via an Expo in the UK. However when sponsored for a job how long are employers likely to wait for you to come over?!

Thanks for the link - will look into the relevant visa options and will come back with any questions, hopefully this will bring some more insight into our goals.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

Alborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to all

Do you have a degree in computer science? If not you may struggle. Each occupation is assessed by an assessing body eg. IT - ACS, Accountant - CPA etc.

If you nominate a 60 point skilled occupation but don't have a degree they may ask for many years experience. With IT it could mean 6+ years experience and post degree qual's (MCSE etc..)

I've worked in IT for 8 years and I won't be nominating it as my occupation.

From your perspective I would think there are alot more easier ways to get PR than the route you suggest, considering your age.

I would recommend a WHV but as soon as you land get a job with a view to being sponsored onshore. Who knows, you may not even like Oz. This is a good intro.

Last edited by Alborg; Aug 26th 2008 at 5:37 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

Sonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really nice

Originally Posted by iandvedwards
Hi,

My partner (Samantha 18) and me (Ian 23) are looking at the possibility of moving to Australia in a couple of years time, however we are looking for some help & advice from people who have already emmigrated or are in the process of it.

I'm currently an IT Network Support Technician - I'm aiming to get some decent Microsoft qualifications under my belt whilst Sam is going back to college to study for an NNEB in Child Care for 2 years. So we would be looking at going over around 2010/11. Is it too early to think about it, or are we doing the right thing to start thinking about it all?

Sam would like to continue studying after college and become a primary school teacher - and we are looking at the possibility of her studying in Aus - would this be a good idea and is it possible rather than staying in UK to do it?

What steps would we need to take either now, or in the near future to make this all become reality?

Sam has a Grandfather and some cousins in Aus already - is this beneficial Visa wise?

We are still both living at home - so do not have a house to sell, and would be looking to buy somewhere over there. What finances would we be looking to need to purchase a house/move there.

Hopefully some of you may be able to help us!

Hi, I wouldnt say its too early to start looking into things. I am still at uni (just starting my 2nd year!) so we wont be going until early 2010. We have started the visa process now though as it does seem to take a long time to do. Good Luck
Old Aug 27th 2008, 9:32 am
Adelaide Bound

Seacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of light

It's never to early!

We are also emigrating in 2010 as I have a PhD to finish. However, we started our visa process (researching, immigration fairs, agents) in 2002 and got our visa grants in 2007. It can be a long process, especially if it means having to adapt/undertake something for a visa requirement. I know of some folk who have changed jobs and gained the required experience over a 5 year period to get their visas. Do some more research and see what options are open to you!

Other option - get those backpacks on and go and see Oz on a one year working visa, (but this may take you away from the training you need in the UK for your visa).

Very best of luck - the time goes ever so quick!
Old Aug 27th 2008, 3:39 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Alborg
Do you have a degree in computer science? If not you may struggle. Each occupation is assessed by an assessing body eg. IT - ACS, Accountant - CPA etc.

If you nominate a 60 point skilled occupation but don't have a degree they may ask for many years experience. With IT it could mean 6+ years experience and post degree qual's (MCSE etc..)

From your perspective I would think there are alot more easier ways to get PR than the route you suggest, considering your age.

I would recommend a WHV but as soon as you land get a job with a view to being sponsored onshore. Who knows, you may not even like Oz. This is a good intro.
No I don't have a degree - however within a couple of years I should have under my belt various Microsoft Certs (MCSE track etc)...how much weight do these carry? Perhaps going over on a WHV and trying to get a job might be the best route - however am I able to get a full time job or alternatively the offer of a full time job?

Sorry to ask so many questions - but after reading the aus immig gov website and doing some general research, it seems as though there are so many different routes and things to look into.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Alborg

Just had a look on this site:

http://www.justlanded.com/english/Au...g-Holiday-visa

Suggests that WHV is not an option to choose with a view to moving onto a permanent Visa...any views or thoughts?!
Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

You really need to go over that site and digest the info properly to understand the different visa's and what's best for you. I can't tell you. It's difficult, almost impossible and certainly time consuming for me to give you my opinion based on the info you have given. You also need to look at the assessing bodies websites to see whats require for a positive assessment for your nominated occupation.

There are many different routes to PR some much easier than others. It just depends on your circumstances and what you're willing to do.

Basically it works like this:

If you want to apply outside of OZ you'll be looking at the Offshore visa's, inside OZ - onshore visa's.

Each visa has a points system that you need to reach. Generally 120 for skilled independent or as little as 100 if you are nominated by a state/employer

You have to choose a job that is on the SOL.

60 point occupations will require you have a degree and/or trade qualifications with work experience. If you don't have a dgree your work experience may need to be 6-8 years plus.

You could nominate a 50 or 40 point occupation to make it easier but my understanding is that without a degree it's tricky. Especially at your age where you have relatively little experience.

BUT that doesn't mean you can't get PR.

You could easily get a WHV and get sponsored while working in Oz. My mate has just been sponsored as an Oracle DBA on a 4 yegar visa off the back of his WHV, but you need to be focused if you're going out for this purpose. A year will go fast. Another friend got sponsored working on a helpdesk for KPMG.

Being young with no quals you could also think about going to Oz to do a degree or Trade qualification under 2 year student visa. 2 year course can cost about £10k. You can work 20 hrs a week term time, full time during holidays. After 2 years you go onto a temp grad visa for another 18 months for full time work. This will all add to your points and make it easier.

You could do a 3 year degree or PHD and get PR based just on this if you can nominate a 50 point occupation with Vetassess, especially with max points on your age. Vetassess occupations don't require work experience but course fees can be expensive for 3 year degrees/PHD's eg. £30K

The options are endless.

For you guys I would recommend a WHV. Its dead simple to get, you just pay £75-ish. You don't have any quals and not much experience. I assume you don't have 10-30k to burn. You could easily go out for a year, see how it goes, get some work with a company and see if they will sponsor you. Don't worry about the 3 mth rule. If the company likes/wants your skills they will sort it. Who know's you might get lucky, I know people who have.

If at the end you're not sponsored you'll certainly have a better understanding of the system, better contacts and a possibility to apply for something while onshore.

Last edited by Alborg; Aug 27th 2008 at 8:38 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 10:26 pm
Account Closed

Default Re: Young couple looking at moving to Aus in 2010/11/12

Thanks for this - you've been more than helpful. There is so much for us to read into and we just need to sit down and think about it all seriously. We're not tied to anything so we are pretty much able to try or do what ever we want. We are able to save some money for a couple of years while Sam studies at college and I'm working full time - both of us living at home still so not much in ways of outgoings and we'll take it from there! Finally how far in advance are visas worth applying for? For example a 1Yr WHV - if we wanted to go in the Summer 2010, when would we need to apply?
Old Aug 27th 2008, 11:18 pm
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of
Default Re: Young couple looking at moving to Aus in 2010/11/12

Originally Posted by iandvedwards
Thanks for this - you've been more than helpful. There is so much for us to read into and we just need to sit down and think about it all seriously. We're not tied to anything so we are pretty much able to try or do what ever we want. We are able to save some money for a couple of years while Sam studies at college and I'm working full time - both of us living at home still so not much in ways of outgoings and we'll take it from there! Finally how far in advance are visas worth applying for? For example a 1Yr WHV - if we wanted to go in the Summer 2010, when would we need to apply?
For a WHV about a week before to be safe, they are very quick
Old Aug 28th 2008, 12:01 am
Account Closed

Wow thats very quick! So we could just go out for the year - travel around Australia for the first couple of months to see if we like it, and then perhaps look to find the right place and find jobs for the remaining months to fund living costs etc. Possibly an IT job with a business could potentially sponsor me for a 4 yr visa if I get lucky?! I'm getting so excited about it all - it seems like such a long time away, but i expect it'll be 2010 or so before we know it!