Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are you worried about job security?

Are you worried about job security?

Old Jan 14th 2009, 5:02 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold
Default Are you worried about job security?

I know I am.

I'm currently working for a local government in WA, managing their website. To be honest the job is fairly quiet, but I'm the only one really in the entire organisation who knows how to update the site etc.

We received a letter this week informing us of a 'review of all services to determine what can be introduced to reduce expenditure'.

My immediate thoughts include that they'll be looking at jobs that they feel aren't particularly necessary. Maybe mine? Maybe they'll incorporate the role I do in with someone else's.

It's scary. Very, very scary.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 5:47 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you worried about job security?

I have an ongoing position at UWA, (doing web stuff coincidentally). Anyway I put up with the lousy wages for the last 6 years because of the job security. It's now time to reap what I have sown. I think it's extremely unlikely my job will go. It's almost unheard of for people in ongoing positions getting made redundant here at the Uni. Lots of fixed term contracts wouldn't get renewed before they let the ongoing staff go.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 5:50 am
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

In a word, yes.

6 weeks ago the company I'm at had enough work until October 09, now it's a months work if that.

I'm still labour hire so it's even more worrying, I've survived todays cull but some of the other labour hire guys finish next week.

Worrying times ahead without a doubt.

Last edited by dave7370; Jan 14th 2009 at 5:50 am. Reason: Forgot some words
Old Jan 14th 2009, 6:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I have an ongoing position at UWA, (doing web stuff coincidentally). Anyway I put up with the lousy wages for the last 6 years because of the job security. It's now time to reap what I have sown. I think it's extremely unlikely my job will go. It's almost unheard of for people in ongoing positions getting made redundant here at the Uni. Lots of fixed term contracts wouldn't get renewed before they let the ongoing staff go.
Reason I'm slightly worried Renth is the ongoing EBA rises... we have another 6pct in the pipeline. Apost will have to react to that if there is a real recession here.

If you have EBA (enterprise bargaining awards) in the pipeline and the area you're in has financial cutbacks, then expect a possible 1 in 50 year reaction which is the situation that seems to be forthcoming. If you have no wage rises in the pipeline then you probably are safe. We have plenty scheduled. Not only that the union is bloody pushing for more.... ridiculous.

The least I expect is voluntary redundancies for fulltimers. There will be a concerted push to get rid of our Penalty payments (shift Allowances) and Partime employees are the answer to this at Apost.

Lets see what the workload is like once the School Holidays finish and industry is fully back around the middle of Feb.... right now it's deadly quiet.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 14th 2009 at 6:12 am.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 8:01 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Reason I'm slightly worried Renth is the ongoing EBA rises... we have another 6pct in the pipeline. Apost will have to react to that if there is a real recession here.

If you have EBA (enterprise bargaining awards) in the pipeline and the area you're in has financial cutbacks, then expect a possible 1 in 50 year reaction which is the situation that seems to be forthcoming. If you have no wage rises in the pipeline then you probably are safe. We have plenty scheduled. Not only that the union is bloody pushing for more.... ridiculous.
Same thing happening at the uni. I'm a union man but am really hoping that they don't go overboard with their claim. They were talking a 25% opening bid towards the end of last year - crazy talk! It was then going to be 13%. My guess is it will come down to about 10% over three years. The negotiations are pretty much done.