British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   You were all right......Anglo Pacific (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/you-were-all-right-anglo-pacific-300480/)

Wave the Sails May 3rd 2005 8:12 am

You were all right......Anglo Pacific

We were hoping things would go well for us....................

Had not found this site in time to see what had been written about them, and therefore had to give them the benefit of the doubt and hope to goodness things worked out ok.

Several things have gone wrong including them sending the removal men to our old address. Oh and we have ended up paying nearly double the quote as the man who initally came to assess our belongings was WAY out. Plus lots of things have been damaged.

So, we have ended up with two shipments.

Whilst in Singapore we got our final invoice. We just paid it over the internet as they said they wouldn't release our shipment until they had received full and final payment. Obviously Littlen and I were just out of hospital so weren't going to query anything at that point, even though we had requested that the amount be itemised. (This has never been sent). We just wanted our things on their way.

The second shipment arrrived on the 21st April. It has cleared Customs and Quarantine and we were expecting delivery tomorrow. (This shipment contains everything we need for new baby including car seat. Baby which was due end of May may now be born next week (by c'section) due to health problems for me).

We have JUST been told by the Aussie Agents (KeysBros) that the shipment won't be released because we have outstanding storage owing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the first we have heard of it. As far as we were aware we paid in full back at the beginning of March. Obviously this was order to release the shipment.

What on earth should we do? They have us over a barrel. If we don't pay then we don't get our things. If we owe money then I have no problem paying it, but considering I have never had the itemised bill I asked for nor did AP ever tell us about this amount, then it seems mighty unfair. If they have written to us, then they have certainly never checked to see if we got any correspondence. Plus, after everything I have heard I'm not feeling very tolerant.

Any ideas. Quite upset actually :( :(

Vanessa May 3rd 2005 8:22 am

Re: You were all right......Anglo Pacific

Where is the company based? Are they from the UK? What is their registered office address?

Was the original statement as to costs from the company an estimate or a quotation? Did you do put anything extra in the consignment that you had not previously told them? If it was a quotation (read the small print) then that price is binding in UK law and they cannot charge you extra. However if it is an estimate then the price can go up but should not double -estimates are usually used where there are large building works etc and may come across unexpected items. However, if your consignment is the same as they saw then the estimate should not double. They are the professionals and should know from experience how larger a container you should use.

With regard to the release of your consignment - pay the money under protest and do a letter/email to them in this regard.

If the company are based in the UK then come back to me and I will see if can help you sort it out - it's what I do for a living!!!!!

moneypenny20 May 3rd 2005 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Vanessa
Where is the company based? Are they from the UK? What is their registered office address?

Was the original statement as to costs from the company an estimate or a quotation? Did you do put anything extra in the consignment that you had not previously told them? If it was a quotation (read the small print) then that price is binding in UK law and they cannot charge you extra. However if it is an estimate then the price can go up but should not double -estimates are usually used where there are large building works etc and may come across unexpected items. However, if your consignment is the same as they saw then the estimate should not double. They are the professionals and should know from experience how larger a container you should use.

With regard to the release of your consignment - pay the money under protest and do a letter/email to them in this regard.

If the company are based in the UK then come back to me and I will see if can help you sort it out - it's what I do for a living!!!!!

I think you will have to chalk it up to experience. :( Not even a bunch of cowboys cos at least cowboys do their job out on the range :rolleyes:

Just pay the money and move on and advise anyone you meet who may ever want an international mover, not to touch them with any sort of barge pole. :eek:

HiddenPaw May 3rd 2005 8:33 am

Originally Posted by The Jones Family

Had not found this site in time to see what had been written about them, and therefore had to give them the benefit of the doubt and hope to goodness things worked out ok.

Several things have gone wrong including them sending the removal men to our old address. Oh and we have ended up paying nearly double the quote as the man who initally came to assess our belongings was WAY out. Plus lots of things have been damaged.

Whilst in Singapore we got our final invoice. We just paid it over the internet as they said they wouldn't release our shipment until they had received full and final payment. Obviously Littlen and I were just out of hospital so weren't going to query anything at that point, even though we had requested that the amount be itemised. (This has never been sent). We just wanted our things on their way.

The second shipment arrrived on the 21st April. It has cleared Customs and Quarantine and we were expecting delivery tomorrow. (This shipment contains everything we need for new baby including car seat. Baby which was due end of May may now be born next week (by c'section) due to health problems for me).

We have JUST been told by the Aussie Agents (KeysBros) that the shipment won't be released because we have outstanding storage owing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the first we have heard of it. As far as we were aware we paid in full back at the beginning of March. Obviously this was order to release the shipment.

What on earth should we do? They have us over a barrel. If we don't pay then we don't get our things. If we owe money then I have no problem paying it, but considering I have never had the itemised bill I asked for nor did AP ever tell us about this amount, then it seems mighty unfair. If they have written to us, then they have certainly never checked to see if we got any correspondence. Plus, after everything I have heard I'm not feeling very tolerant.

Oh this is terrible for you...you should be relaxing and enjoying the last weeks of pregnancy. Just not the stress you need :(

I can't offer any advice but I just wanted to say how sorry I was to hear of all the trouble. It's terrible trying to deal with a company who are taking the p*** and round the other side of the world (we had nightmares too with damage to our shipment....wasn't 8 months pregnant at the time tho!)

Hope it gets sorted with the minimum of stress. Now you look after yourself and look forward to hearing of news of the new little Aussie :)

Bix da Boss May 3rd 2005 8:37 am

What a bummer :(

Now ideas, just hope it sorts itself out - can be a bit of a nightmare can't it!

Good luck with the new baby - fingers crossed for next week :)

:)

Pollyana May 3rd 2005 10:00 am

My sympathies, as the person who coined the name of ***** ******** I know just how useless they are.
If they say storage is due because oftheir stuff-up with estimating the shipment then you may have grounds to try and reclaim it from AP though on past performance I wouldn't hold out much hope. And I guess you'll have to pat up first or not get your stuff.

Hope all goes well with the baby!

===============
For the benefit of Vanessa - this company calls itself Anglo Pacific, and if you do a search on here for that name and my nickname for them you will find several horror stories.
Unfortunately people that write to them rarely hear anything back - my letters were never acknowledged, and others on here have reported the same problem.

Un-Co May 3rd 2005 10:11 am

Mate the same thing happened to me. THEY lost my paperwork then charged ME storage (Grr this was 2 years ago and still makes my blood boil!). I never usually shout and scream at people who are just doing their job but these *%&^%s were awful. I ended up like a banshee on the phone to this woman. In the end we struck a deal and I paid about $200 (half of what they said I owed) In the end they had my stuff (and I travelled light - only what really meant something to me) so what could I do. I too didn't know about this amazing site before I got here or sooo many of the problems which have come my way would have been avoided!!

Wave the Sails May 3rd 2005 10:12 am

Thanks all. We have paid it as we really had no choice. We also have several damaged items from the first shipment, so need to make sure those things are dealt with expediently (please don't laugh, I am ever the optimist).

Thanks Vanessa. We'll see how things go over the next few weeks and then decide how to proceed. The thought of being litigious after we have just left all thoughts of hassle behind us doesn't much appeal!

Vanessa May 3rd 2005 10:42 am

Thanks all. We have paid it as we really had no choice. We also have several damaged items from the first shipment, so need to make sure those things are dealt with expediently (please don't laugh, I am ever the optimist).

Thanks Vanessa. We'll see how things go over the next few weeks and then decide how to proceed. The thought of being litigious after we have just left all thoughts of hassle behind us doesn't much appeal!

They are a member of the British Association of Insurers (BAR) I have telephoned them today and asked them to contact me with details on how to make a complaint and what their role is. I will let you know once I have received an answer from them. It may be that they have an arbitration service which you and others on this site could use.

Wave the Sails May 3rd 2005 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Vanessa
They are a member of the British Association of Insurers (BAR) I have telephoned them today and asked them to contact me with details on how to make a complaint and what their role is. I will let you know once I have received an answer from them. It may be that they have an arbitration service which you and others on this site could use.

Thanks so much for that. Please keep in touch. Perhaps you could PM me with your email address?

Vanessa May 3rd 2005 2:36 pm

Hi The Jones Family!

I have spoken the British Association of Removers and you can either email or write to them with your complaint. Once this is received they will contact the company and ask them for a response to your complaint and assist you with this.

address is:

3 Churchill Court
58 Station Road
North Harrow
Middlesex
HA2 7SA

All information you can provide would be of assistance ie original quotation, emails, letters etc etc.

Hope this helps you and any others who are having problems with this company.

Vanessa

Pollyana May 3rd 2005 2:59 pm

Go for it! Nail the gits!! Most of my problems were not the sort you can compensate for - more lack of communication and sheer frustration, but I would back anyone who can actually get compensation out of this load of mongrels.