Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

And you thought that AUS spiders were bad !

And you thought that AUS spiders were bad !

Old Apr 16th 2004, 1:04 pm
99.99999% there !

EssexNobby is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy And you thought that AUS spiders were bad !

A friend of mine just sent me this note :-

They run 10 mph, jump three feet, are a nocturnal spider, so only come out at night unless they are in shade.
When they bite you, you are injected with Novocaine so you go numb instantly. You don't even know you are bitten when you are sleeping, so you wake up with part of your leg or arm missing because it has been gnawing on it all night long. If you are walking around and you bump something that is casting a shadow over it, and the sun makes contact with it, you better run.
It will instantly run for your shadow, and scream the whole time it is chasing you.
PS. Check out the attached photo. The one on the bottom is eating the one on the top. These are Spiders found daily in IRAQ by our troops.
Imagine waking up and seeing one of these b*stards in your tent!!
Attached Thumbnails And you thought that AUS spiders were bad !-camel_spider1a.jpg  
Old Apr 16th 2004, 1:17 pm
Next stop Gold coast

plumber is an unknown quantity at this point

Jesus ............looks like that thing out of Alien!:scared:

ps....Gunna have to get some bigger shoes!
Old Apr 16th 2004, 1:28 pm
yer twistin mi melons man

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice
Default Re: And you thought that AUS spiders were bad !

Originally posted by EssexNobby
A friend of mine just sent me this note :-

They run 10 mph, jump three feet, are a nocturnal spider, so only come out at night unless they are in shade.
When they bite you, you are injected with Novocaine so you go numb instantly. You don't even know you are bitten when you are sleeping, so you wake up with part of your leg or arm missing because it has been gnawing on it all night long. If you are walking around and you bump something that is casting a shadow over it, and the sun makes contact with it, you better run.
It will instantly run for your shadow, and scream the whole time it is chasing you.
PS. Check out the attached photo. The one on the bottom is eating the one on the top. These are Spiders found daily in IRAQ by our troops.
Imagine waking up and seeing one of these b*stards in your tent!!
I just got the same one as well, looks minging doesnt it.....but looks like a fake spider
Old Apr 16th 2004, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Grief is it one of the locals It looks hideous doesnt it, its bad enough waking up to a bloomin cockroach but that:scared:
Joanne
Old Apr 16th 2004, 1:33 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Checked it out on Snopes...

http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/camelspider.asp
Old Apr 16th 2004, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Darrn it... better shelf that application to migrate to Iraq then :scared:
Old Apr 16th 2004, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

jasper pentop is an unknown quantity at this point

From a webpage by an expert on spiders:
This species possesses no poison and relies on strength and speed. It is carnivorous and lives on a diet of insects, spiders, scorpions and small lizards. It is so voracious that it will feed until it is too bloated to move effectively. Prey is held between the forceps of the Chelicerae and chewed with such vigour that a solifugae eating a beetle can be heard over a distance of several metres.
Old Apr 16th 2004, 2:35 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Recommended Aversion Therapy:

Arachnophobia

Followed by The Wasp Woman

Old Apr 16th 2004, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

There's something very strange about those spiders - there are at least 18 legs between the two of them. And spiders don't have antennae, (do they?) - so that can't be confusing the count!
Old Apr 16th 2004, 4:34 pm
Go Banana's !!

Please tell me this isn't real :scared: :scared:

Jill

Old Apr 16th 2004, 6:35 pm
Redland Bay - 22/06/04

LaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud of
Default Yeah right!!!

Sorry, but this is a Percy Pongo playing tricks to make us all at home think they are having a hard time of it.

"Yeah! it's terrible out here Mum/girlfriend/oppo. When the locals aren't shooting at us we have to contend with these b**tards!"

Oh just imagine the sympathy!!

Did a similar thing when I was in the Falklands War with the Royal Navy but then it was giant carnivorous sheep tics that grew 50% at night and stalked anything moving in the open air!!

BTW this isn't meant to demean what our boys are actually doing out there. Service humour tsk, tsk!
Old Apr 16th 2004, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

Tonyonthemove is an unknown quantity at this point

This looks very much like a camel spider - something I had the misfortune of sharing a tent with (several times) when I was in the Gulf with the RAF a few years ago. We had a photo of one sat in the middle of a landrover tyre with it's feet almost touching either edge - thats right they are actually THAT BIG. Imagine the joy of waking up to one of these...

They're called camel spiders because they can jump several feet and attach themselves to the the underside of camels(!) where they proceed to anethetise an area by biting it and then chow down for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I'm still sh*t scared of the wee ones, what can you do?

Sleep well.
Old Apr 17th 2004, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry guys...
They're quite cute really
Old Apr 17th 2004, 8:28 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Saddam's latest secret weapons or has the army ran out of food?

Next thing you know they'll be racing the things.
Old Apr 17th 2004, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

ovenater is on a distinguished road

Larrissa

My daughter and I just watched that movie.

we are now sitting on the computer chair with our feet high above the ground. I thought i wasn't worried about spiders at all but i may have changed my mind now.

thanks a lot :scared:

sally

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.