Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are you taking winter clothes??

View Poll Results: Are you taking winter clothes ??
You bet ! Sun goes in, jumper on
38.71%
No chance ! Aussies are soft, won't need them
6.45%
No, but will buy those fur boots when I get there
3.23%
Taking some, leaving the thermals !
51.61%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Are you taking winter clothes??

Old Mar 31st 2004, 8:23 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by steandleigh
I think it depends upon where you are going - we're going to Cairns, so jumpers not really needed, but definetly rainmacs ( nice ) for the 'wet' season!
Leigh, you will need your jumpers too.
I have a mate who lives in Cairns and he says you need them even in mid summer.
Not for the outdoor temps but for inside. A lot of public places have A/C so you feel really chilled. ie restuarants, shops, cinemas.
Old Mar 31st 2004, 8:45 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

The shops here in Brisbane are full of jumpers, wooly coats, thick tweedy trousers, scarves, gloves etc I was amazed! Its true about the fierce air conditioning though, I get really cold on the train and could do with a jumper then
I am now a bit confused about what weather to expect here for winter, though several locals have said, '...you wont find it cold but we do...'
Old Mar 31st 2004, 8:57 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mcmercer
The shops here in Brisbane are full of jumpers, wooly coats, thick tweedy trousers, scarves, gloves etc I was amazed! Its true about the fierce air conditioning though, I get really cold on the train and could do with a jumper then
I am now a bit confused about what weather to expect here for winter, though several locals have said, '...you wont find it cold but we do...'
My first winter I was wearing shirts on the days the locals were wearing jumpers and jumpers on the days the locals were wearing coats. Now I wear what they wear.
Old Mar 31st 2004, 9:06 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

We'll be taking the woolies!!

Dave, my other half, called today from Perth and said he was walking around in shorts/t-shirt and folk were wearing big puffa jackets and all wrapped up!

I reckon they are all a bit soft...not like us hardened Brits who really know cold! I mean, 9 c ...bah......and they reckon thats cold?!!!
Old Mar 31st 2004, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

colinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant future

Originally posted by sjn2003
Too right - bringing all my ski gear. Well chuffed I don't have to get rid of it !!

Yep, I'm off to Mel in Nov, and was going to sell all my ski gear - change of plan!
Old Mar 31st 2004, 9:40 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

It takes about a year to become fully acclimatised, but even during that year you'll need warm clothes at some times. It's officially the first day of Autumn, but I've been wearing a fleece for the last couple of weeks, both coming in to work in the morning, and in the office - aircon seems to be full on in all offices and public areas, like shops and malls.

Also, if you go into the mountains, you get snow in winter in quite a few places. This is Oberon, about half an hour from our place in the Blue Mountains:
(Don't ask who the bird is - I have NO idea )
Attached Thumbnails Are you taking winter clothes??-snow4.jpg  
Old Mar 31st 2004, 9:40 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Here's another of the same area
Attached Thumbnails Are you taking winter clothes??-snow3.jpg  
Old Mar 31st 2004, 10:30 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Our coonara has been on for the last three nights, temp down to about 9 deg. That feels really cold when you have no heating, no double glazing, no insulation in roof or walls, gaps under the doors, the list is endless. Bring all warm clothes and your hot water bottle
Old Mar 31st 2004, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

I really quite like it when it starts getting colder. It's nice being able to cuddle in bed under the duvet rather than sweating under a sheet.

I have a scarf and a pair of gloves, but they only get worn about 5 days a year. I didn't bring my big warm overcoat and had to get it mailed over when winter set in.
Old Mar 31st 2004, 11:02 pm
Badge

Originally posted by hevs
Our coonara has been on for the last three nights, temp down to about 9 deg. That feels really cold when you have no heating, no double glazing, no insulation in roof or walls, gaps under the doors, the list is endless. Bring all warm clothes and your hot water bottle
lol.. I seem to have acclimatised to the cold mornings getting out of bed as I now have no desire for heating. It may also have something to do with the fact I haven't yet worked out the controls on my single fire in the lounge room.

A week ago I was freezing getting out of bed. Now I am OK.

Mine control.

Give it another month and Mrs B being here, and I will have to get the house warmer.

Badge

Old Mar 31st 2004, 11:18 pm
ABCDiamond

I think each of us handle the cold differently.

Last year I didn't wear any jumpers, but other's did.

A few days ago, some of the children at school were wearing jumpers, my wife tried to get our daughter to wear one, but no way, she was too hot !! She still had to take it just in case, but she never wore it.

wooly coats, thick tweedy trousers, scarves, gloves ?? I can't imagine ever wearing those up here, but obviously some people do, or the shops wouldn't sell them

I can't remember exactly when I last wore trousers and long sleeve shirts, instead of shorts and short sleeve shirts, but it must have been about 8 months ago.

I did wear a jacket one day in July though, but it was a lightweight summer jacket

Keep your winter wear handy, just in case, as it will depend on how fast you aclimatise.

Down in Sydney would be different, I remember one day when the car windscreen was frozen over one morning.

Old Mar 31st 2004, 11:24 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sjn2003
An overcoat ?? Is that with your wetsuit underneath and surf board under your arm ?? Or is surfing not a winter sport in Sydney ??
LOL
I would say I wore the overcoat for a week or 2 last year. I have a fully sealed steamer wetsuit for winter and a springsuit for warmer days and a rashy for the height of summer.
Old Mar 31st 2004, 11:41 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Brisbane - The winter nights are cold - it can drop down to as low as 7/6c in Brisbane (lower again in Ipswich and inland). Days are pleasant in the sun , low to mid 20's (if it rains , it's usually about 19c) . Coats, loads of jumpers, hats, two pairs of trousers - I wear the lot in the nights, especially on or near water fishing .. it gets damn cold on the water, wind chill factor. And anyone who says they don't wear a coat near/on water in the night must have very good natural body insulation is all I can say.

Bed - two quilts, blankets and hot water bottle for me.

Cheers
Old Mar 31st 2004, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We brought most of our winter stuff with us. But after we arrived I gave 50% of it to the Sally Army. I can't imagine it will get cold enough here for me to wear it all.

I have been told it gets a bit nippy at night, but can't see I would need 2 quilts, ny Hubby keeps me pretty warm! Never used 2 quilts in England even when it was minus degrees. Can get doen to 7 here at night so we will probably buy a heater if it gets that cold. I did bring my electric blanket with me though!

First day of Autumn today and it is sunny, perfect Azure blue sky and 28c - what more could you want!?
Old Apr 1st 2004, 12:04 am
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice

This pic was taken last july, in the Adelaide hills.
Attached Thumbnails Are you taking winter clothes??-snow.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.