British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Are you taking Doctor's notes? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/you-taking-doctors-notes-196969/)

tinaj Dec 15th 2003 5:19 pm

Are you taking Doctor's notes?

Rang my Dr today and asked him if we could have a copy of our notes. he told me they don't do copies and the files are not their property, they get sent to the central office for storage when we leave the country.

Has anyone here got copies of their notes? I am sure people have said so, do we need to take them? None of us have had any major illnesses or anything, but if I need them then I will have to investigate further. Do the Drs in Oz look at them?

Thanks guys!

claireg3 Dec 15th 2003 5:25 pm

Hi Tina,
In short no we aren't taking our notes. How I understand it you don't necessarily stay with the same Dr so the chance of them reading through your notes each consultation is slim.

Claire

sj oldfield Dec 15th 2003 5:39 pm

If this isnt the case then how are you supposed ti be able to look at your records if you wanted to ( i mean in general, not for migration use)
With the introduction of the Data Protection Act, you are by law supposed to have access to all records held on you.
Can anyone advise further

tinaj Dec 15th 2003 5:47 pm

I assume you are able to look at your notes, just not take them with you? The doctor did not say we couldn't look at them, but that they don't do copies of them and they remain the property of the health service.

For some reason I thought most people took them with them.

claireg3 Dec 15th 2003 6:01 pm

Originally posted by sj oldfield
If this isnt the case then how are you supposed ti be able to look at your records if you wanted to ( i mean in general, not for migration use)
With the introduction of the Data Protection Act, you are by law supposed to have access to all records held on you.
Can anyone advise further
In theory you should be able to look at your notes but it isn't as straight forward as all that - loopholes a plenty. You have to apply for access and pay a fee.
GP notes are pretty sketchy though and you need to be able to interpret drs handwriting which usually is worse than abyssmal.

Some GPs though do do computerised printouts of a summary of care but these are usually only for the past few years.
Claire

ADELAIDE BOUND Dec 15th 2003 6:03 pm

Re: Are you taking Doctor's notes?

Originally posted by tinaj
Rang my Dr today and asked him if we could have a copy of our notes. he told me they don't do copies and the files are not their property, they get sent to the central office for storage when we leave the country.

Has anyone here got copies of their notes? I am sure people have said so, do we need to take them? None of us have had any major illnesses or anything, but if I need them then I will have to investigate further. Do the Drs in Oz look at them?

Thanks guys!

Tina
We have read previous posts on this forum where people have been given their notes by their GP.
We have also read that some people have experienced the same problem.
In my opinion, surely its important for peoples medical history to follow them. There may be allergies or certain drugs which work better for an individual contained within the notes.
It may be in lingo or medical speak that would go unnoticed if a layman attemted to read through the notes.
I for one will be making a big issue of this if we are not allowed to to take our notes.

Cheers.
:beer: :beer:

young_lad Dec 15th 2003 6:05 pm

Hi Tina,

The general consensus on this forum definitely used to be to take doctors notes in some form. I remember posts where people were asking about prices that doctors were charging for photocopies (and others referred to costs for data protection compliance etc). The consensus may have changed recently though (like the 'whether to take your fridge/freezer?' question seemed to do.)

For what it's worth, I asked a nurse at my GP's and she said that if I want notes they'll put together a summary - whether I follow that up or not I'm not sure (nothing exciting for them summarise :) )

Badge Dec 15th 2003 6:10 pm

Small question:

I've been to the doctors maybe twice in the last ten years, for minor things eg I had something in my eye and Mum visiting made me go.

I went there only to find the surgery had moved down the road a few years before. Then I got there, and I didn't know who my Doctor was lol. it seems to me half of people in waiting rooms are just clogging up the system - most illnesses can be cured with a day's rest, wrapped up in bed. I never take medicine as it probably reduces your natural ability - as a result I hardly ever get ill. My old man has been ill once in 30 years, it's incredible. We just never get ill in my family - I've never even had flu!!

Anyhow, I've been to hospital a few more times for injuries and they've always given me a note for my doctor - but I've always just thrown them away!!! Does this mean that the record of my hospital visit is destroyed, not noted?

Badge

:D

cherry6 Dec 15th 2003 6:12 pm

I have just dealt with this this week. A very shirty woman at my local health authority told me I wasnt allowed to take my notes as 'they were not my property, they belong to the government'. Nice. Instead I can pay a large amount of money to have mine and my kids records photocopied/summarised. Oh, and even though I said 'blah blah data protection act' you apparently are only allowed to see what the doctor thinks you should see.

graham__smith Dec 15th 2003 6:41 pm

Im pretty sure that you are entitled to any and all records of yourself held by health boards police etc. under the data protection act.
I think they amended it to cover data that isnt held on computer ie notes, video.

tinaj Dec 15th 2003 7:06 pm

Originally posted by badgersmount
Small question:

I've been to the doctors maybe twice in the last ten years, for minor things eg I had something in my eye and Mum visiting made me go.

I went there only to find the surgery had moved down the road a few years before. Then I got there, and I didn't know who my Doctor was lol. it seems to me half of people in waiting rooms are just clogging up the system - most illnesses can be cured with a day's rest, wrapped up in bed. I never take medicine as it probably reduces your natural ability - as a result I hardly ever get ill. My old man has been ill once in 30 years, it's incredible. We just never get ill in my family - I've never even had flu!!

Anyhow, I've been to hospital a few more times for injuries and they've always given me a note for my doctor - but I've always just thrown them away!!! Does this mean that the record of my hospital visit is destroyed, not noted?

Badge

:D

Badge let's see if you stay as healthy when you have a couple of snotty nippers running around:D ( no offense intended just all kids are snotty!) Kids seem to get colds continually and then of course we get them passed on to us!!

tinaj Dec 15th 2003 7:08 pm

Well if the Drs in Oz don't actually require my notes then I may as well not bother. My Dtrs is a very small increpid practice, they don't even own a photocopy so would probably faint if I suggested copying them!!

walaj Dec 15th 2003 7:50 pm

this has interested me, not that I need the info just yet

found a couple of links
http://www.doh.gov.uk/dpa98/
Go to part 3, don't bother with the link on para 5.1 about fees (page no longer there), instead try (not had chance to read but think it maybe relevent to Drs notes):
http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/inside/foi/index.html

Pollyana Dec 15th 2003 7:54 pm

Hi Tina,
Under the Data Protection Act you are legally allowed to have a copy of your notes and can see everything on them written about you. If you really want them, I suggest contacting the Health Authority and they can have a go at the Doc; or tell the practice that you are leaving the country, they then have to return your notes to the H.A., then you can get a copy from then.
Quote Data Protection at them - the law is on your side!!:)

If you get them though - check all the pages belong to you! I had 2 pages belonging to 2 different people......:scared: -quite worrying when you read a note saying you spent a week having your tonsils out and you can't remember it!

tinaj Dec 15th 2003 7:58 pm

Originally posted by Pollyana
Hi Tina,
Under the Data Protection Act you are legally allowed to have a copy of your notes and can see everything on them written about you. If you really want them, I suggest contacting the Health Authority and they can have a go at the Doc; or tell the practice that you are leaving the country, they then have to return your notes to the H.A., then you can get a copy from then.
Quote Data Protection at them - the law is on your side!!:)

If you get them though - check all the pages belong to you! I had 2 pages belonging to 2 different people......:scared: -quite worrying when you read a note saying you spent a week having your tonsils out and you can't remember it!

Do you think it is worth it Polly? None of us have had any serious problems.