Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are you still where you emigrated too?

Are you still where you emigrated too?

Old Jan 26th 2011, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Broadbeach/Surfers Paradise depending which side of the house you stand
yellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to all
Default Re: Are you still where you emigrated too?

Originally Posted by sunnyj View Post
We lived in Adelaide for 4 and a half years and found it boring. Been up the Gold Coast for 9 months and love it. There is so much more to do here.
Same here, love the fact if you are at a lose end you can easily find something to do, and not everything costs the earth either.

We have been here for 9 months too how weird! where abouts are you?
Old Jan 26th 2011, 4:31 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mand8002 View Post
What made you move to Perth???
Hey manda

I wanted to be closer to my family, I really liked CQ though just nicer to have family around.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kelli28 View Post
Hey manda

I wanted to be closer to my family, I really liked CQ though just nicer to have family around.
Aah, I didn't realise you had family here in Australia, hope you are enjoying Perth
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

sunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by yellowmellow View Post
Same here, love the fact if you are at a lose end you can easily find something to do, and not everything costs the earth either.

We have been here for 9 months too how weird! where abouts are you?
Hi, we are in Helensvale and love it.
It's not just the theme parks that we like. There are more national parks and we like to go camping and the choices of places are endless (not that we have been yet here) There is so much of Queensland to explore and parts of NSW.
I feel like we have everything here. The choices in Adelaide were very limited to us and plus I couldn't have stood another winter in Adelaide.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

It's not just the theme parks that we like. There are more national parks and we like to go camping and the choices of places are endless (not that we have been yet here) There is so much of Queensland to explore and parts of NSW.
I feel like we have everything here. The choices in Adelaide were very limited to us and plus I couldn't have stood another winter in Adelaide.
I know where Helensvale is now. Been passed it a good few times on the way to GC.

Might wanna change your loco to Helensvale now.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

bradburns2 is on a distinguished road

We lived in Adelaide for 4 and a half years and found it boring. Been up the Gold Coast for 9 months and love it. There is so much more to do here.
Where on the Gold coast do you live?
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

katietops01 has a brilliant futurekatietops01 has a brilliant futurekatietops01 has a brilliant futurekatietops01 has a brilliant futurekatietops01 has a brilliant futurekatietops01 has a brilliant future

We moved to GC 4 1/2 years ago, to the place we had seen on our recce (Helensvale) and are still here. Became citizen's on Wednesday, so they're not getting rid of us now!

Why Helensvale? Initially, OH was working in Bundall and I am in Eight Mile Plains, so was ideal for both work journeys, but he has since moved jobs. We like that Helensvale is convenient for the train and we can be at South Bank in 1 hour, close to the beach, theme parks, nightlife, shops, etc, etc.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Broadbeach/Surfers Paradise depending which side of the house you stand
yellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to all

I know what you mean,
We have taken the kids to Sea world and Movie world, only because my son had been nagging since we arrived in Perth, so really had to take him when they are up the road! We love camping and walking, we went up to Springbrook in the holidays, and have also done Lammington too it is a fantastic place to live. We are defiantly happier in Queensland,
When ever we have moved we have driven it, so we drove up and over the WA coast, into the Kimberley and onto the NT and then in to Queensland.......stayed in Cairns for just over 9 months and moved down to the Gold coast again driving and stopping at some wonderful places. Wish we had the money just to travel around in a van for the rest of our lives......The kids loved it.

Glad you are enjoying the Gold coast, its surprising how many people slate it that have actually never even been.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Moved to Mackay Queensland and lived there for 4 and half years and then we moved down to Maitland NSW (for work)

We all feel alot more settled here in Maitland
Mackay it was more of a long drawn out holiday there for me. (not much to do once done everything around that area)
When my daughter finishes high school we may look at moving again.

Last edited by LINZI; Jan 28th 2011 at 12:20 am.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 12:23 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

9 Years coming up in Sydney - 14 month rental in one suburb and then bought 1Km up the road, no plans to move anytime soon

First planned to go to Melbourne but work plans changed that

I have also been very lucky to have working experiences long term in

Auckland - 3 months and made me homesick for Sydney

Brisbane - just under one year, did not like the humidity but interesting place especial the british expats buddies

Adelaide - over 14 months; mostly boring but some interesting weekend jaunts

Currently got an offer to work in Melbourne for 2 years so possibly going to get to know that better

Overall we had to live in Sydney in the first place but has worked out best for us.

Last edited by Sandra; Jan 28th 2011 at 12:28 am.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 2:11 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Moved from NZ to Queensland and we are still where we first set foot. Very happy here and couldn't imagine living anywhere else.

It's been an excellent move for the kids too.

After seeing how the recession affected other countries I think it was a very wise choice.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 2:16 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Are you still where you emigrated too?

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi View Post
After seeing how the recession affected other countries I think it was a very wise choice.
couldn't agree more....

BB
Old Jan 29th 2011, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

sunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by yellowmellow View Post
I know what you mean,
We have taken the kids to Sea world and Movie world, only because my son had been nagging since we arrived in Perth, so really had to take him when they are up the road! We love camping and walking, we went up to Springbrook in the holidays, and have also done Lammington too it is a fantastic place to live. We are defiantly happier in Queensland,
When ever we have moved we have driven it, so we drove up and over the WA coast, into the Kimberley and onto the NT and then in to Queensland.......stayed in Cairns for just over 9 months and moved down to the Gold coast again driving and stopping at some wonderful places. Wish we had the money just to travel around in a van for the rest of our lives......The kids loved it.

Glad you are enjoying the Gold coast, its surprising how many people slate it that have actually never even been.
We started our Aus adventure as a holiday on the GC before we flew down to Adelaide. We had to live in Adelaide due to the Visa requirements.
After seeing what Queensland had to offer, we never really settled in Adelaide.
After 3 holidays and a reccy. We finally made the move.
We drove up to Queensland and back to Adelaide for our Reccy and loved it. We then drove up here when we came to settle. I love the fact that you would never run out of things to see travelling up the coast of Queensland.

We would like to buy a camper and keep travelling, not with 3 kids though. We have told the kids that when they leave home, we are selling the house and buying a camper van and are just going to keep travelling.

We rented at Pac Pines before we moved to Helensvale as we couldn't get any rentals in Helensvale. We chose Helensvale because it is not too far from a bus stop or a shop and all the amenities you need, where as the part of Pac pines (well Maudsland really)
that we lived it was a good distance from any shops, you had to get in the car to get a paper.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 2:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Always been in Melbourne, and it is still growing on me. Did a very small stint in Bendigo when I first arrived. Like Spike Milligan said about Woy Woy... It's felt like an above ground cemetery after London..... I doubt if I would have lasted in Aus if I had moved anywhere rural.

I get very irritated by places that have limited choice, so the only place I really like other than Melbourne in Aus thus far, is Sydney. Everywhere else is good for a Visit.

Got to say, cannot wait to do as SunnyJ with the around Aus thing.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

nixster is just really nicenixster is just really nicenixster is just really nicenixster is just really nicenixster is just really nicenixster is just really nicenixster is just really nicenixster is just really nice

we landed in brisbane and settled in wynnum bayside brisbane 8 months ago. We never really settled though, found ourselves going up or down the coast every weekend so were now moving to the sunny coast in 4 weeks!!!! Yipee!!! We cant wait and are evry excited! Our aussie lives will finally start

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.