Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are you still where you emigrated too?

Are you still where you emigrated too?

Old Jan 25th 2011, 12:43 pm
Banned

kmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant future
Default Re: Are you still where you emigrated too?

UK to South Africa, Cape Town 10 years. Over to New Zealand just over 10 years on to Brisbane just under 4 years ..

its all about the journey for me... I like it in Brisbane but if a new life experience came up that i fancied id jump on it and see were i ended up...

im thinking of being an English teacher in china next
Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:55 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowmellow
ended up moving to Cairns, and wow what a difference to Perth, then due to a change in circumstances we moved to the Gold coast and have defiantly decided Qld is for us.....don't think I could go back to living in Perth (sorry to all in Perth) Just the lifestyle here is more suited to our family.

We call the gold coast home well Qld really. and are glad we made the move.

I would love to hear what everyone else has to say,
What would you say are the main differences (for you) between Brisbane, Cairns and Perth?
It's always interesting to hear comparisons from people who have lived in different parts of Australia
Old Jan 25th 2011, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Broadbeach/Surfers Paradise depending which side of the house you stand
yellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Kapri
What would you say are the main differences (for you) between Brisbane, Cairns and Perth?
It's always interesting to hear comparisons from people who have lived in different parts of Australia
In Perth we loved it and thought it was great when we lived there, but when we moved to Cairns (we did the whole road trip thing was a fantastic experience) we found that we could do far more in a day because everything was closer than in Perth. We seemed to have found more hours in the day and the weekends were longer and we were doing far more, going to the rainforest, the beaches, the lagoon, shopping in the city and still finding time to go for drinks and BBQ's with friends. The temperature was also different, it may not get as high on the gauge as Perth (hitting 40 on some days) but its really humid so feels so much hotter! One other thing, QLD is so much greener......

We then did the road trip down to the Gold Coast and here its different again, people trash the gold coast, but most of the time its people that have not even been, yes it has some areas that are touristy, but it is the tourist capital of Australia, and its what provides all the jobs for the locals to enjoy the lifestyle.
We fine the Gold coast like a really small community, within weeks of being at the school my son had made a bucket load of friends and so had I, I have made friends alot faster here than anywhere else, and they have all said im not allowed to move again they want to keep me, lol.

It all depends what you want, The lifestyle we wanted is Queensland, The Gold Coast is fantastic with our kids (6 and 2) and we do really miss Cairns, so that is a place on our retirement list. Somewhere where we can sit back, watch the beautiful skies and enjoy the sounds of the rainforest in peace.

Its great hearing eveyones stories, keep them posting.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.

It's the longest we've stayed put anywhere too now. Haven't yet seen anywhere else that's really made me want to move again although "station country" does hold an appeal for one day in the future!
Old Jan 26th 2011, 12:58 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Came to Adelaide in 1983 because it was the only place in Australia where we knew anybody - in those days we got PR visas without having a job to go to!

Got offered a job in Brisbane in 1994 and moved there.

Moved back to Adelaide in 1999 because my children were there and I was working around the world.

Got offered another job in Brisbane in 2004 - been here ever since.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of

Sydney-2 years
now north coast NSW-3 years

would never live in Sydney again but would live anywhere else on the NSW coast (north or south)
Old Jan 26th 2011, 7:16 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

2 years in SE Qld (just south of the Sunshine Coast) and 1 year in the Blue Mountains, NSW.

We moved from the former to the latter thanks to Himself's work - loved both places, happily settled in both places, very happy never ever ever to move ever ever ever again.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 7:25 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowmellow
In Perth we loved it and thought it was great when we lived there, but when we moved to Cairns (we did the whole road trip thing was a fantastic experience) we found that we could do far more in a day because everything was closer than in Perth. We seemed to have found more hours in the day and the weekends were longer and we were doing far more, going to the rainforest, the beaches, the lagoon, shopping in the city and still finding time to go for drinks and BBQ's with friends. The temperature was also different, it may not get as high on the gauge as Perth (hitting 40 on some days) but its really humid so feels so much hotter! One other thing, QLD is so much greener......

We then did the road trip down to the Gold Coast and here its different again, people trash the gold coast, but most of the time its people that have not even been, yes it has some areas that are touristy, but it is the tourist capital of Australia, and its what provides all the jobs for the locals to enjoy the lifestyle.
We fine the Gold coast like a really small community, within weeks of being at the school my son had made a bucket load of friends and so had I, I have made friends alot faster here than anywhere else, and they have all said im not allowed to move again they want to keep me, lol.

It all depends what you want, The lifestyle we wanted is Queensland, The Gold Coast is fantastic with our kids (6 and 2) and we do really miss Cairns, so that is a place on our retirement list. Somewhere where we can sit back, watch the beautiful skies and enjoy the sounds of the rainforest in peace.

Its great hearing eveyones stories, keep them posting.
Great post, I enjoyed reading it
Old Jan 26th 2011, 7:32 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Been in Perth 8 years now. Thought about Sunshine Coast after a few years but glad we are still here.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 7:44 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Been in Perth 6 years now, longest my husband and I have been in one place in the 24 years we have been together. Not shifting anywhere else, this is home
Old Jan 26th 2011, 8:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Landed in perf, livin in perf, not moving again EVER
Old Jan 26th 2011, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kelli28
No started in Brisbane then moved to a teeny tiny town called Tannum Sands in CQ and now in Perth.
What made you move to Perth???
Old Jan 26th 2011, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

sunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant future

We lived in Adelaide for 4 and a half years and found it boring. Been up the Gold Coast for 9 months and love it. There is so much more to do here.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 10:38 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

wanted to go to QLD, sunshine/gold coast but OH wanted to go to Perth
arrived Perth, Live in Perth....will we stay in Perth???

Already talking about moving interstate once kids leave home... may be rent out our house and go exploring, see where we end up

mind you.,.....kids reckon they are staying at home until in 20's!!!! only 14 and 15 at mo so may be a while before we do anything!
Old Jan 26th 2011, 10:44 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

First moved to Sydney, loved the first 3 days, hated the next 12 months, done 18 months on the Gold Coast now and working in Brissie, its better than Sydney but...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.