Wikiposts

are you ready for oz???

Old Sep 11th 2003, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Arlene

Originally posted by arlene
well said rach

does anybody in their right mind think that we would put ouirselves through this whole agonising process for the fun of it, a lot of us are leaving behind family, especially me with my elderly dad, am i ready for oz, if i wasnt then i would be in serious trouble now what with all the monies spent out so far

arlene
thanks for that, there is no way i would be taking my daughter away from her family & friends if hubby and i didn't think that we can make a new, better life in Oz.
best of luck
rach
Old Sep 11th 2003, 7:59 am
creepycrawlycreepycrawly!

mr2blue is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by karawara88
Think some people are sadly disilusioned with what they are coming to, or worse disilusioned about what they are leaving behind.

There is none so blind as those that dont want to see.

for me its not much different here (perth) to Manchester or Liverpool. Except that even Scousers can drive. !! Same old kack just a different place. Go to work (if you are lucky enough to have a job) go home, go to work, go home, weekend same old kack, cut the grass, sort the house, entertain the kids. Pay the mortgage, pay the bills, argue with the wife.

Have a great view of city from balcony, first two weeks, it was wow look at that, now I dont even notice it. ![QUOTE]

At the end of the day you make the most of what you've got where you've got it dont you? It just so happens that what we've got here gets us a lot more in OZ.
At the moment we live in a 2 bedroom flat work long hours and hate our jobs(well I do at least).If we wanted to move to a bigger house which obviously we do then we would have to work even longer hours have no chance of changing our jobs or exploring new avenues of work as a pay cut would not be possible.
In Australia we could afford to buy a bigger property outright(no mortgage at 30 try getting that in the UK) try different jobs(yes I take your point that it may be difficult to get one at all)but at least in OZ we could afford to be without work for a while.
More importantly though it's a chance to try living in a country thats so different from the UK and to see how we like it.
Surely the expats who post with a negative view of OZ once thought it a good idea to move there in the first place and had their own reasons for doing so but for one reason or another things just havent worked out like they thought they would. However just because it hasnt worked for them shouldnt mean it wont work for you and no one has the right to tell you otherwise.

Old Sep 11th 2003, 8:06 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mr2blue
Are you ready for the UK?

endure the rat race london underground every morning/evening
PLOP AROUND IN THE GARDEN IN CHRISTCHURCH
come home with just enough time to cook & eat your tea
STAY AT HOME AND BE LAZY
watch beastbenders
WATCH A BIT OF FOOTIE AT 4AM
ingnore the wife for an hour or two cos your too fecked to talk
IGNORE THE WIFE
and then go to bed cos you've got to get up early to do it all again.
YEP
Repeat for 1 week
YEP
then attempt to negotiate your way into town on a Saturday
YEP
with the rest of the UK to shop for food,the latest fashions/mobile phone
NO
ooh must look good at the trendy bar you always go to at the weekend,
SURE, I LOVE BART'S BOTTY
meet your mates
YEP
who all moan about how shite their jobs/lives are,
NOPE
get pissed
YEP
to forget the stressfull week you've had.
NOPE - TO GET PISSED WITH MATES
Old Sep 11th 2003, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mr2blue
Are you ready for the UK?

come home with just enough time to cook & eat your tea watch beastbenders ingnore the wife for an hour or two cos your too fecked to talk and then go to bed cos you've got to get up early to do it all again.
Repeat for 1 week then attempt to negotiate your way into town on a Saturday with the rest of the UK to shop for food,the latest fashions/mobile phone ooh must look good at the trendy bar you always go to at the weekend,meet your mates who all moan about how shite their jobs/lives are,get pissed to forget the stressfull week you've had.
MMM weekend over not sure where that went oh well back to work must catch that train which will be on time the day I'm late for it.
Do this for rest of life.
NO THANKS

Great post - summed it up for me!!!!
Also, agree with what Rach wrote about spending time with her daughter - think I'll risk it too. Also agree with whoever puts "same sh*t different bucket" except I'd prefer to be in a prettier, warmer one with a big 'ouse!
Old Sep 11th 2003, 9:37 am
dazuk

come home with just enough time to cook & eat your tea watch beastbenders ingnore the wife for an hour or two cos your too fecked to talk and then go to bed cos you've got to get up early to do it all again.
Repeat for 1 week then attempt to negotiate your way into town on a Saturday with the rest of the UK to shop for food,the latest fashions/mobile phone ooh must look good at the trendy bar you always go to at the weekend,meet your mates who all moan about how shite their jobs/lives are,get pissed to forget the stressfull week you've had.
MMM weekend over not sure where that went oh well back to work must catch that train which will be on time the day I'm late for it.
NO THANKS

Most people in aus live in the urban conurbations of Melbourne and Sydney, not in the wide open spaces that you seem to imagine. Therefore the "rat race" is still very much evident, crowded trains congested roads every weekday rush hour. As for being too fecked to speak after a days work, do you beleive that Aussies work shorter hours?? A lot of companys here expect long hours or your out mate. More unemployment here compared to horrible SE england, if you dont like it thers a line of others like you to take your place. As for hanging about in trendy w#anky bars, ermmm thers plenty of them in Sydney. They also love mobile phones and seem more obsessed with material gain and your financial status than most people back in shitty UK. THe myth that oz is a classless society is just that, you have to livce in the right suburb, drive the right car, hliday in the "right" bland Qld resorts.

Oh and lastly Aussies would never moan at the end of the week about being overworked and how crap their job is!!

You are right, what would an uneducated pleb like me know anyway???

Happy dreaming

Old Sep 11th 2003, 9:50 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by dazuk
NO THANKS

Most people in aus live in the urban conurbations of Melbourne and Sydney, not in the wide open spaces that you seem to imagine. Therefore the "rat race" is still very much evident, crowded trains congested roads every weekday rush hour. As for being too fecked to speak after a days work, do you beleive that Aussies work shorter hours?? A lot of companys here expect long hours or your out mate. More unemployment here compared to horrible SE england, if you dont like it thers a line of others like you to take your place. As for hanging about in trendy w#anky bars, ermmm thers plenty of them in Sydney. They also love mobile phones and seem more obsessed with material gain and your financial status than most people back in shitty UK. THe myth that oz is a classless society is just that, you have to livce in the right suburb, drive the right car, hliday in the "right" bland Qld resorts.

Oh and lastly Aussies would never moan at the end of the week about being overworked and how crap their job is!!

Happy dreaming
How long did you spend in oz? What did you do?

Just interested why you hate the place so much? Bad experience there?
Old Sep 11th 2003, 10:35 am
Badge

Yes many people do commute just like in London. The nightmare etc...It's always in the Sydney papers how harsh life is...

My God - I did it too in to Sydney - and you know what - it was much easier - why?

1) Quite often the sun was shining whilst I was waiting 4 trains
2) People on said trains looked relaxed and happy
3) Crowds less manic - manic but less manic

FACT FACT

badgers

Old Sep 11th 2003, 11:28 am
owieb

Originally posted by arlene
well said rach

does anybody in their right mind think that we would put ouirselves through this whole agonising process for the fun of it, a lot of us are leaving behind family, especially me with my elderly dad, am i ready for oz, if i wasnt then i would be in serious trouble now what with all the monies spent out so far

arlene
Yes people do put themselves through it, then realise it's not for them and return back to the UK. It happens a lot!

Old Sep 11th 2003, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

I did not say any perticular person on the forum was disilusioned, I merley commented that some are, if you think for one minute that familys come out here after putting themselves through "all that" and find its not utopia, then you are sadly mistaken, as Owieb has just pointed out.

The people that are here know that the likes of Wilf, PB etc were right. When you get here you may find the same. I hope it works out for all of you. But no matter how much home work you do, for some it will not work, its a lot harder than you can imagine. But for some its a breeze, hope for you and your familys sake you are one of those.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Karrawewifhddhfdjkfh

Do you think you'll like it any better here once you've found a half decent job (??Do they exist) Or is it everything else that goes with Perth?

Just wondering

D
Old Sep 11th 2003, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you think you'll like it any better here once you've found a half decent job (??Do they exist) Or is it everything else that goes with Perth?
I do not dislike it here, its a fantastic place and has a lot of plus points, the job situation does not bother me, I was a little unprepared for the lack of not getting casual work, thought it would be easier to come by.

Personally I dont think Perth is for us and there is a number of reasons for that and we plan to move on at the end of November and try another state.

All I do is give my experience, I am here doing it, I was here 3 years ago, yet I was still un-prepared for certain things and if the truth is told I was also unrealistic about certain things. I read the Wilf, PB, Dotty posts before leaving and dismissed what I did not want to take on board. I am only human.

The sad fact is people are coming out here with unrealistic views. If they want to ignore what they think are "neagative" posts they can. When they get here they can then put the record straight.

Perth is a really nice place, oppurtunities excist and like most places you have to go find them. Its also an expensive place when you get out of conversion mentality. For us it does not have the right feel, somthing is missing, thats not my fault or Perths fault. bit like buying a house when you find the right one you know.

We will move about until we find the place that feels like home. It may well that place ends up being UK. :lecture:
Old Sep 11th 2003, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Good luck guys, enjoy the experience and keep posting.

Diane
Old Sep 12th 2003, 6:53 am
creepycrawlycreepycrawly!

mr2blue is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dazuk
NO THANKS

Happy dreaming
Well its a good job I'm going to Perth then where everyone works two hours a week and gets paid double the salary!
Please dont insult me by suggesting that I think Australia is some kind of Utopia where everyone lives off the land and shares each others home made clothing.
I have spent over a year in Australia and seen more of the country in that year than most Ozzies would see in their lives and none of it from a Greyhound bus at night.
What I am after is an alternate way of life and a change of scenery and I know I can achieve this in Australia.
It's interesting you use the term dreaming as surely thats where all plans start isnt it? Unfortunately for some people thats all their plans will ever be.

God I hate forums they make every discussion sound like an argument(peace and all that)

Old Sep 12th 2003, 7:20 am
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mr2blue
Well its a good job I'm going to Perth then where everyone works two hours a week and gets paid double the salary!
Please dont insult me by suggesting that I think Australia is some kind of Utopia where everyone lives off the land and shares each others home made clothing.
I have spent over a year in Australia and seen more of the country in that year than most Ozzies would see in their lives and none of it from a Greyhound bus at night.
What I am after is an alternate way of life and a change of scenery and I know I can achieve this in Australia.
It's interesting you use the term dreaming as surely thats where all plans start isnt it? Unfortunately for some people thats all their plans will ever be.

God I hate forums they make every discussion sound like an argument(peace and all that)

Well said. I must admit that I too get a bit annoyed when people insult my intellegience by saying things like "it ain't all big 'ouses, sun, etc here you know". No sh*t Sherlock. And, like you, I don't see anything wrong with having a dream/plan of a better/different lifestyle.

As for 1950's Qld......well in a way I hope that's what I get. I've never lived in the 1950's before so it should be quite an experience. Does this mean that there aren't a million billboards advertising mobile phones/shoes/chocolate bars/tampons every where I look? Does this mean that the shops aren't going to be open on the w/end? Does this mean that people will actually have manners and respect their elders? Does this mean that families will sit around the dinner table at night - every night? Does this mean that I will have a fantastic kitchen, get to wear a pinny over my dress and get to wear kitten heals and have my hair tied back with a piece of red ribbon? And that I'll go weak at the knees seeing Elvis girate his hips on TV? Radical man.

V
Old Sep 12th 2003, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Vee

Originally posted by Vee
Well said. I must admit that I too get a bit annoyed when people insult my intellegience by saying things like "it ain't all big 'ouses, sun, etc here you know". No sh*t Sherlock. And, like you, I don't see anything wrong with having a dream/plan of a better/different lifestyle.

As for 1950's Qld......well in a way I hope that's what I get. I've never lived in the 1950's before so it should be quite an experience. Does this mean that there aren't a million billboards advertising mobile phones/shoes/chocolate bars/tampons every where I look? Does this mean that the shops aren't going to be open on the w/end? Does this mean that people will actually have manners and respect their elders? Does this mean that families will sit around the dinner table at night - every night? Does this mean that I will have a fantastic kitchen, get to wear a pinny over my dress and get to wear kitten heals and have my hair tied back with a piece of red ribbon? And that I'll go weak at the knees seeing Elvis girate his hips on TV? Radical man.

V
Here here Vee
you've got to have a dream, if you dont' have a dream, how you gonna make a dream come true....
rach