Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are You moving to Adelaide?

Wikiposts

Are You moving to Adelaide?

Old Sep 10th 2003, 9:47 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hi there
gosh, Adelaide is popular! We hope to go out in a couple of years, although we are tempted to apply for pr without any money behind us (no house to sell!) and just savings. read on a well-thought of site recently that the dimia dont usually ask to see proof of funds you intend to take with you, but just our luck to get checked up on!!! I too am a nurse and on the austimeline site recently I saw that a nurse who submitted their application in June and received their visa in August (6/7/8 weeks?) Luckily nurses are fast-tracked at the moment....hope it stays that way.
was interested to see their is a website for Adelaide Brits - can someone post the link please...?????

thanks very much,

Sue
Old Sep 10th 2003, 10:15 am
Monaco here we!!! oh no

ADELAIDE BOUND is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Adelaide Brits

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
hi there
gosh, Adelaide is popular! We hope to go out in a couple of years, although we are tempted to apply for pr without any money behind us (no house to sell!) and just savings. read on a well-thought of site recently that the dimia dont usually ask to see proof of funds you intend to take with you, but just our luck to get checked up on!!! I too am a nurse and on the austimeline site recently I saw that a nurse who submitted their application in June and received their visa in August (6/7/8 weeks?) Luckily nurses are fast-tracked at the moment....hope it stays that way.
was interested to see their is a website for Adelaide Brits - can someone post the link please...?????

thanks very much,

Sue
Hi Sue
We were only told about this website today ourselves.
All you need to do is bring up Yahoo on your computer and in the search engine type in adelaide brits. I think its the first one that comes up on the search results.
We hope this is of some help.
Good luck with what ever decision you make.
Cheers
Tom Donna & Kids
Old Sep 10th 2003, 12:23 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice
Default Re: Are You moving to Adelaide?

Unless you're a city person, head either for the hills or the beach. The suburbs are pretty much all the same but outside the city limits there are beautiful hills and seaside retreats.

Don't travel half way around the world to live in a city.

I was in a tiny country town this morning trying to get a gas bottle refilled. It was 8am and I had to wait for staff to arrive because the owner couldn't serve in the shop and refill gas out the back at the time, so I just watched the locals wander in and out, kids on the way to school and the grown up on the way to work. I thought to myself, these are the real Australians, the ones up in the city are like anyone else in the world, they just happen to live in an Aus city.

Ack, I'm in a romantic mood, maybe my rose-tinted specs are clouding my mind.
Old Sep 10th 2003, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

To members of adelaide brits Yahoo Group:
Help! I can't find it. I'm normally pretty good with find stuff on the net. I'd love it if someone could post the link.

To Tom Donna & Kids:

I would agree with most of what has already been said. I'm sure by now you would have read heaps of posts about different suburbs in Adelaide.

My favourites would be North Adelaide (where I'm lucky enough to live), Norwood, St Peters (very leafy). I'm afraid I can't help with schools, we don't have kids yet - apart owning a pug who behaves like a precocious child
Old Sep 10th 2003, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Adelaide Bound.

We arrived in Adelaide early July and have settled about 16k north of the city on a hillside with sea views. Choice of about 6 good schools around us, 3 provate, costing around $3000 per year, others are state and have good reputations. Schools in general are much larger than UK with my sons Junior school having around 400 kids. and one the same size next door which share some facilities, like the library and computer suite, this is quite common here...

With regards areas, take your time to look around as we decided and bought and moved in within 4 weeks of arriving, which was the right decision at the time, but in hindsight you see other areas and wonder whether you made the right choices.

I agree with the person that says, don't go to the other side of the world and end up living exactly as you did in the UK, otherwise you will soon wonder what it is all about, especially as it is cold and rainy too today and I'm sitting working 40 hours a week.

I can't find the adelaide brits site at the moment, but I know they are organising a big BBQ party, which I will be attending so we can meet a few of our friends from here.

Good luck and keep asking the questions
Mash

Originally posted by ADELAIDE BOUND
Hi All
We are currently going through the migration process under the STNI scheme. I have had my qualifications approved, I have been nominated by South Australia, and have been asked to send off for my police clearance certificates. Things seem to be moving really quickly. We are expecting to immigrate to Adelaide in March / April 2004 house sale, Medicals and PR Visa permitting.

Can anybody recommend nice areas to live in. By nice areas they dont have to be the most expensive areas.

We have twin boys who will be 13, and 2 girls who will be 11 and 8.

We are hoping to find somewhere which is near schools, leafy suburbs that sort of thing. The estate agents bless em that we have contacted in Adelaide keep sending us information for ranch style properties in the middle of nowhere about 30 + kilometres outside the city.
We have no friends or family in Australia so why they want hide us away in the outback, we have no idea? (They must have been tipped off.)
Also we would love to hear from anybody else immigrating to South Australia who like us has either going through the process or is already there.
Cheers
Old Sep 10th 2003, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by mashiraz

I can't find the adelaide brits site at the moment, but I know they are organising a big BBQ party, which I will be attending so we can meet a few of our friends from here.

Mash
Hi Mash,

hope I can make it there, I would be keen to meet you and any others who do so.

Once I've found the details I'll get in touch with julz and darren who appear to have had enough of the forum, I don't think they've posted since they got here.
Old Sep 10th 2003, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/adelaidebrits/

cheers

richard
Old Sep 10th 2003, 6:50 pm
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jockney
Hi,We leave for adelaide on the 21st of september.We will be looking at the coastal stretch between glenelg and seacliff which is quite expensive but fantastic if you like coastal life.Also like the look of henley beach,but hey,go from north haven to the most southern beaches and you wont find anywhere horrible.For hills stirling was my favorite.best of luck jockney

hi
we were down that way yesterday watching the surfers on christies beach. Having a great time doing our research for moving out next year. Coast very nice but still looking at those hills saying that went to mount lofty on tuesday and could not see a thing for clouds! Mr Mover your city is lovely.

More in our postcard from Adelaide must do some more research

Sarah

PS local pub good
Old Sep 10th 2003, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by r.bartlett
http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/adelaidebrits/

cheers

richard
cheers

richard
Old Sep 10th 2003, 8:13 pm
Monaco here we!!! oh no

Originally posted by mashiraz
Hi Adelaide Bound.

We arrived in Adelaide early July and have settled about 16k north of the city on a hillside with sea views. Choice of about 6 good schools around us, 3 provate, costing around $3000 per year, others are state and have good reputations. Schools in general are much larger than UK with my sons Junior school having around 400 kids. and one the same size next door which share some facilities, like the library and computer suite, this is quite common here...

With regards areas, take your time to look around as we decided and bought and moved in within 4 weeks of arriving, which was the right decision at the time, but in hindsight you see other areas and wonder whether you made the right choices.

I agree with the person that says, don't go to the other side of the world and end up living exactly as you did in the UK, otherwise you will soon wonder what it is all about, especially as it is cold and rainy too today and I'm sitting working 40 hours a week.

Good luck and keep asking the questions
Mash

Thanks Mash
Great Advice Will continue to ask the questions. Hope to meet up Early next year with the group.
Cheers for now
Tom Donna & Kids
Old Sep 10th 2003, 8:25 pm
Monaco here we!!! oh no

Originally posted by welshpom
Unless you're a city person, head either for the hills or the beach. The suburbs are pretty much all the same but outside the city limits there are beautiful hills and seaside retreats.

I was in a tiny country town this morning trying to get a gas bottle refilled. It was 8am and I had to wait for staff to arrive because the owner couldn't serve in the shop and refill gas out the back at the time, so I just watched the locals wander in and out, kids on the way to school and the grown up on the way to work. I thought to myself, these are the real Australians, the ones up in the city are like anyone else in the world, they just happen to live in an Aus city.

Thanks WP
We appreciate the sound advice. We would prefer to be out of town but not Isolated. We suspect we will need to be within a reasonable commuting distance of Adelaide for work purposes.
Christies beach sounds great as does stirling. We will need to start doing our homework. We will probably be taking up the SA goverments offer of housing for 3 months. This will enable us to research all the advice and suggestions.
Cheers for now
Tom Donna and Kids
Old Sep 10th 2003, 9:01 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by welshpom

cheers w/p you are mellowing , couple of weeks ago ,sitting in the truck outside a service station ,in Tailem Bend, this Victorian with car and caravan ,attached, rushed in and carried on about the place not being open , he had adjusted his watch at the border put it back 30 mins , but on entering Sth Australia he had forgot to put his brain back 10 yrs , and that why I love this place, it must be terrible for some one who has lived in an a human Ant Hill to come back to reality.... MM
Old Sep 10th 2003, 9:17 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by kentcoast
hi
we were down that way yesterday watching the surfers on christies beach. Having a great time doing our research for moving out next year. Coast very nice but still looking at those hills saying that went to mount lofty on tuesday and could not see a thing for clouds! Mr Mover your city is lovely.

More in our postcard from Adelaide must do some more research

Sarah

PS local pub good
Thanks Sarah ,this can be your city too, i can feel the season changing , the buds on the fuit trees,are opening ,spring is about to commence , BUT in 3months time those hot northerly,s will commence ,thats when you see the Adelaide beach scene ,come alive , to just sit on jetty road in Glenelg, having a meal out side one of the many cafe,s on a 35deg c evening ,sip chilled sth oz ,chardonay, eat Avocado /prawn cocktails fresh from the sea,then just go for walk along the beach ,take advantage of the cool sea breezes ..... MM
Old Sep 10th 2003, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

I would agree with most of what has already been said. I'm sure by now you would have read heaps of posts about different suburbs in Adelaide.

My favourites would be North Adelaide (where I'm lucky enough to live), Norwood, St Peters (very leafy). I'm afraid I can't help with schools, we don't have kids yet - apart owning a pug who behaves like a precocious child [/QUOTE]

I agree with your choice of areas Nara.

If it's leafy green areas that you want with big trees, lovely houses and gardens and close proximity to the City centre, these are the ones to go for as well as St Georges, Malvern, Unley, Toorak Gardens, Rose Park, Dulwich etc.

Old Sep 10th 2003, 11:41 pm
Adelaide here we come

kittenlips is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Adelaide Bound

My husband and I are currently in the process under the Designated Area Sponsorship route.

My husbands cousin (our sponsor) lives in the Seacliff area which is supposed to be very nice, but she also recommends the Adelaide Hills as a very nice area, not sure which suburbs though!

All being well we may be in Adelaide around the same time as you, maybe a month or 2 later! Can't wait!

Good luck

Theresa

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.