Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are You moving to Adelaide?

Are You moving to Adelaide?

Old Sep 11th 2003, 11:43 am
A soft and furry member

Bluey is an unknown quantity at this point

Our only requirement is within walking distance of a Beach. We've been looking around Christies Beach, Noarlunga, Sellicks Beach down the peninsula. The closest place we've found to the city itself was at West Beach, the house looks fantastic, but from what we could find it looks suspiciously close to the Airport! Is this a feature of West Beach? Does anyone have an opinion on the coast south of Adelaide (as far down as Maslin Beach)?
Old Sep 11th 2003, 2:47 pm
Monaco here we!!! oh no

ADELAIDE BOUND is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are You moving to Adelaide?

Originally posted by kittenlips
Hi Adelaide Bound

My husband and I are currently in the process under the Designated Area Sponsorship route.

My husbands cousin (our sponsor) lives in the Seacliff area which is supposed to be very nice, but she also recommends the Adelaide Hills as a very nice area, not sure which suburbs though!

All being well we may be in Adelaide around the same time as you, maybe a month or 2 later! Can't wait!

Good luck

Theresa
Hi Theresa
Thanks for the info. Are you using an agent?.
We hope everything goes alright for you both and we all meet up in that sunny place next year.
Its good that you have got family over there already. It probably wont feel so daunting when you arrive.
Cheers keep in touch.
Tom Donna & Kids
Old Sep 13th 2003, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

mikenvonny is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi adelaide bound,
Like yourself we also hope to be in Adelaide Mar/April 2004.
We originally chose Brisbane, because of the high proportion of racing teams out there( i am currently a technician within a british based race team) but after visiting in april this year to look around and introduce myself to various teams, i was disapointed with the salaries on offer.
last month we were competing again in Perth and i was fortunate to be able to travel to Melbourne and Adelaide where i had more interviews. The interview in Adelaide went well(offer of job subject to medical) and although not in Motorsport it is a good salary(with overtime, unheard of in motorsport)and the opportunity to still travel worldwide and they are prepared to hold the position for me.
Anyway i digress, although adelaide was not my first choice i loved the place, finding it not to dissimilar to Perth in its city with a small town feel.
And after spending two days driving round suburbs with a video camera velcroed to the dashboard for the benifit of my family back home(misses and two girls 15 and 13) i found anything eastern/hills or south(blackwood etc) to be nice with blackwood taking me approx 25mins to city centre, 15 mins to glenelg, in reasonably busy traffic.
Anyway good luck with visa application, we went for skilled independant as south Australia wqas not our choice when we originally applied, TRA was a nightmare for us as my job does not fall into blinkered tra criteria for a mechanic but we finally convinced them.
Once again good luck with application.
Old Sep 18th 2003, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default please please...where is Adelaide Brits!!?

Hi Everyone,

I am a complete novice on this board. This is my first post. I am a pom currently living in Auckland NZ. I am married to a kiwi psych nurse, who has been offered a ob in Adelaide. This has all come about very fast and we shall be there in about 8 weeks time (providing we sell the house)
I am desperately trying to find the Adelaide Brits site, as i would like to get to know people already there. I have already made the move from London to NZ. Settling in a new country is hard work and can be very lovely at first.

Heres hoping someone can post a link to it!!
Old Sep 18th 2003, 8:42 pm
Monaco here we!!! oh no

Default Re: please please...where is Adelaide Brits!!?

Originally posted by podgypossum
Hi Everyone,

I am a complete novice on this board. This is my first post. I am a pom currently living in Auckland NZ. I am married to a kiwi psych nurse, who has been offered a ob in Adelaide. This has all come about very fast and we shall be there in about 8 weeks time (providing we sell the house)
I am desperately trying to find the Adelaide Brits site, as i would like to get to know people already there. I have already made the move from London to NZ. Settling in a new country is hard work and can be very lovely at first.

Heres hoping someone can post a link to it!!

Hi PP
The link you are looking for is as below.

http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/adelaidebrits/

Good Luck
Cheers
Old Sep 19th 2003, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

colinnsam is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Bluey
Our only requirement is within walking distance of a Beach. We've been looking around Christies Beach, Noarlunga, Sellicks Beach down the peninsula. The closest place we've found to the city itself was at West Beach, the house looks fantastic, but from what we could find it looks suspiciously close to the Airport! Is this a feature of West Beach? Does anyone have an opinion on the coast south of Adelaide (as far down as Maslin Beach)?

Bluey,
Maslin is the nudist beach. West beach is near to the airport, we live in Dover Gardens which is 15 minutes walk from Brighton Beach (very nice). From Maslin going towards the city you have, Moana,Seaford, Pt Noarlunga, Christies Beach,Seacliff,Brighton,Glenelg. All of these are lovely beaches, the first 4 are more affordable and are about 45 minutes drive from the city, the last 3 are more expensive. All have good facilities. Hope this helps.

Colin
Old Sep 19th 2003, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Re: please please...where is Adelaide Brits!!?

Originally posted by ADELAIDE BOUND
Hi PP
The link you are looking for is as below.

http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/adelaidebrits/

Good Luck
Cheers
Thankyou AB!! I have been reading through this thread. I am interested in the various views on best place to live in Adelaide. When my husband had his job interview by phone from Auckland, the woman who interviewed him said that traffic was horrendous there, so not good ot live too far out of town. I have to say that several people i have spoken to, have said that is not so. We were considering the Flagstaff Hill/ Coromandel areas...whats it like there..anyone know??
Old Sep 20th 2003, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

colinnsam is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by podgypossum
Thankyou AB!! I have been reading through this thread. I am interested in the various views on best place to live in Adelaide. When my husband had his job interview by phone from Auckland, the woman who interviewed him said that traffic was horrendous there, so not good ot live too far out of town. I have to say that several people i have spoken to, have said that is not so. We were considering the Flagstaff Hill/ Coromandel areas...whats it like there..anyone know??

Hi Podgypossum,

From the areas you mention it would take about 20 minutes to drive into the city. Both are nice.
It makes me laugh when people say that the traffic is bad here, we lived just outside London, It just does'nt compare, the traffic reports there consisted of tail backs, crashes and diversions, here it consists of kangaroos, koalas, horses and crashes.

Colin
Old Sep 20th 2003, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by colinnsam
Hi Podgypossum,

From the areas you mention it would take about 20 minutes to drive into the city. Both are nice.
It makes me laugh when people say that the traffic is bad here, we lived just outside London, It just does'nt compare, the traffic reports there consisted of tail backs, crashes and diversions, here it consists of kangaroos, koalas, horses and crashes.

Colin
HAHAHA..i see what you mean Colin. I am also from just outside London, place called Pinner...how about you? I also owned a taxi company for a while. I am still in Auckland at the moment and it makes me laugh when they moan about the traffic here. I remember being on the M25 stuck in a 18miles tailback...now THATS bad traffic!!! I am sure my husband wont complain about 20min drive to work.
Old Sep 20th 2003, 7:08 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Hi All
We are currently going through the migration process under the STNI scheme. I have had my qualifications approved, I have been nominated by South Australia, and have been asked to send off for my police clearance certificates. Things seem to be moving really quickly. We are expecting to immigrate to Adelaide in March / April 2004 house sale, Medicals and PR Visa permitting.

Can anybody recommend nice areas to live in. By nice areas they dont have to be the most expensive areas.

We have twin boys who will be 13, and 2 girls who will be 11 and 8.

We are hoping to find somewhere which is near schools, leafy suburbs that sort of thing. The estate agents bless em that we have contacted in Adelaide keep sending us information for ranch style properties in the middle of nowhere about 30 + kilometres outside the city.
We have no friends or family in Australia so why they want hide us away in the outback, we have no idea? (They must have been tipped off.)
Also we would love to hear from anybody else immigrating to South Australia who like us has either going through the process or is already there.
Cheers

Hi Adelaidebound,

We are also going to Adelaide and will be using the governments meet and greet service for 3 months to find our feet and look at the different areas. I've finally got myself a copy of the Adelaide street guide, so I can see exactly where all the estate agents are talking about. (Invaluable!)

Do you and your family want to come to our Essex meeting on Oct 5th? It's near lakeside, not too far for you. A2, M25 to lakeside. We meet every 2 months and there are quite few going to Adelaide. It's an excellent chance to ask questions and share information. You're more than welcome, just send me you're email address and I'll send you the details. That goes for anyone else who doesn't know about it yet.

We are looking at the area from Seacliff to Henley Beach, but I'll be honest, most of it looks OK.

Hopefully see you soon,

Steve and Eve

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...&pagenumber=11
Old Sep 20th 2003, 7:42 am
Monaco here we!!! oh no

Originally posted by SteveBannister
Hi Adelaidebound,

We are also going to Adelaide and will be using the governments meet and greet service for 3 months to find our feet and look at the different areas. I've finally got myself a copy of the Adelaide street guide, so I can see exactly where all the estate agents are talking about. (Invaluable!)

Do you and your family want to come to our Essex meeting on Oct 5th? It's near lakeside, not too far for you. A2, M25 to lakeside. We meet every 2 months and there are quite few going to Adelaide. It's an excellent chance to ask questions and share information. You're more than welcome, just send me you're email address and I'll send you the details. That goes for anyone else who doesn't know about it yet.

We are looking at the area from Seacliff to Henley Beach, but I'll be honest, most of it looks OK.

Hopefully see you soon,

Steve and Eve

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...&pagenumber=11

Hi Steve & Eve
We would love to come to your meeting on October 5th.
Cheers.
Old Sep 20th 2003, 11:30 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Hi Steve & Eve
We would love to come to your meeting on October 5th.
Cheers.
Send me your email address, then, and I'll send you the details.

Steve
Old Sep 20th 2003, 9:18 pm
PJK
Forum Regular

PJK has a brilliant futurePJK has a brilliant futurePJK has a brilliant futurePJK has a brilliant futurePJK has a brilliant futurePJK has a brilliant futurePJK has a brilliant futurePJK has a brilliant future

Hi All

This is to everyone comtemplating an initial visit to Aus before they settle full time and something to be aware of before you book your inspection/initial visit flights.

My family, wife and three girls (13, 11 & 5) got our STNI sponsored visas from SA in May this year after getting the nod from our agent. Just before they came through we booked flights to go out to Adelaide this x-mas to have a look. However our visas said we had to travel to Aus to get the visa 'evidenced' by 7th July 2003. We never did find out why we had such a short time period but hastily booked flights to where we could get in Aus in the short time available and hoped to get a cheapie to Adelaide once there with Virgin Blue. We travelled to Cairns hoping to get the internals to SA but arrived during a holiday period and couldn't get the connection in time back to Cairns for our return to England so not having seen Adelaide and SA are off again next Feb having spent a lot of money already and lost deposits on flights this Christmas.

So in summary please do not book your flights until you know when you have to get the Australian entry stamp in your passport visa.

Anyway now we are the wiser we plan to go properly in September 2004 and are from Bristol.

Good luck all

PJK
Old Sep 20th 2003, 9:39 pm
Monaco here we!!! oh no

Originally posted by PJK
Hi All

This is to everyone comtemplating an initial visit to Aus before they settle full time and something to be aware of before you book your inspection/initial visit flights.

My family, wife and three girls (13, 11 & 5) got our STNI sponsored visas from SA in May this year after getting the nod from our agent. Just before they came through we booked flights to go out to Adelaide this x-mas to have a look. However our visas said we had to travel to Aus to get the visa 'evidenced' by 7th July 2003. We never did find out why we had such a short time period but hastily booked flights to where we could get in Aus in the short time available and hoped to get a cheapie to Adelaide once there with Virgin Blue. We travelled to Cairns hoping to get the internals to SA but arrived during a holiday period and couldn't get the connection in time back to Cairns for our return to England so not having seen Adelaide and SA are off again next Feb having spent a lot of money already and lost deposits on flights this Christmas.

So in summary please do not book your flights until you know when you have to get the Australian entry stamp in your passport visa.

Anyway now we are the wiser we plan to go properly in September 2004 and are from Bristol.

Good luck all

PJK
PJ
That is shocking.
We thought that once you received your PR visas you had about 9 months minimum to validate your Visa.

What did your agent advise you?

It just sounds like a clerical error to me.

We intended to go once only when the PR visa comes through, that means selling the house and clearing the bank account out.
We do not want to go for a holiday and validation stamp.

Anybody else had this problem.

Thanks for letting us know.
Cheers.
Old Sep 20th 2003, 9:59 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

PJ
That is shocking.
We thought that once you received your PR visas you had about 9 months minimum to validate your Visa.

Anybody else had this problem.

Thanks for letting us know.
Cheers.
To the best of my knowledge you have 12 months to validate from the date of your police checks or medicals, whichever is the earlier in time. This is why some agents do not recommend front loading your application as you can end up in a situation where you have to re-do your medicals and/ or police checks. (Bit expensive where medicals concerned!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.