British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   You might not be planning to return but..... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/you-might-not-planning-return-but-550404/)

ezzie Jul 21st 2008 9:34 pm

You might not be planning to return but.....

When you're looking to move overseas, you don't often plan to return - but the reality is that many do for a variety of reasons. It's then when you discover that once you've been out of Britain for a couple of years, you lose a lot of rights. One of those is university education for your kids...or yourself.

We're running a petition to bring this to no.10's attention. Hopefully they can in part address this situation and reduce fees for returning British citizens (currently having to pay full overseas fees!).

Please, whack your signature down at this site: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Unfair-Uni-Fees/

We need 201 signatures to get it considered...just 41 to go. Please take a moment and just a couple of clicks to help get this petition considered.
Thanks so much.

DunRoaminTheUK Jul 21st 2008 11:29 pm

Re: You might not be planning to return but.....

Originally Posted by ezzie (Post 6595745)
When you're looking to move overseas, you don't often plan to return - but the reality is that many do for a variety of reasons. It's then when you discover that once you've been out of Britain for a couple of years, you lose a lot of rights. One of those is university education for your kids...or yourself.

We're running a petition to bring this to no.10's attention. Hopefully they can in part address this situation and reduce fees for returning British citizens (currently having to pay full overseas fees!).

Please, whack your signature down at this site: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Unfair-Uni-Fees/

We need 201 signatures to get it considered...just 41 to go. Please take a moment and just a couple of clicks to help get this petition considered.
Thanks so much.

How long do you need to be back in the UK before you regain those lost rights?

homewardbound Jul 21st 2008 11:32 pm

I'm pretty sure its 3 years.

DunRoaminTheUK Jul 21st 2008 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by homewardbound (Post 6596100)
I'm pretty sure its 3 years.

What 'rights' exactly does a person lose?

spartacus Jul 22nd 2008 1:32 am

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK (Post 6596106)
What 'rights' exactly does a person lose?

Right to NHS treatment is one, in addition to that above.

JAJ Jul 22nd 2008 1:48 am

Originally Posted by spartacus (Post 6596337)
Right to NHS treatment is one, in addition to that above.

That is recovered immediately upon resuming residence in the U.K.

spartacus Jul 22nd 2008 1:56 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 6596361)
That is recovered immediately upon resuming residence in the U.K.

Thanks for putting me straight JAJ, and my mind at rest a little.

If you don't mind me asking, how is it determined that residence has been resumed?

JAJ Jul 22nd 2008 2:10 am

Originally Posted by spartacus (Post 6596380)
Thanks for putting me straight JAJ, and my mind at rest a little.

If you don't mind me asking, how is it determined that residence has been resumed?

No specific procedure, unless and until a healthcare card system like in Canada and Australia has been developed.

bigAPE Jul 22nd 2008 2:40 am

So just to clarify. If you leave the UK and take up permanent residency in Australia you lose the right to a free University Education in the UK ?

Do Australian's going to England to study have to pay these fee's as well ?

Al

spartacus Jul 22nd 2008 2:49 am

Originally Posted by bigAPE (Post 6596472)
So just to clarify. If you leave the UK and take up permanent residency in Australia you lose the right to a free University Education in the UK ?

Al

As far as I know 'free' only exists in Scotland for Scottish students and those from the EU (excluding England and Wales). Non EU residents pay overseas fees.

In England and Wales, students are liable for fees dependent on where they are normally resident.

But be warned, as others have already noted, I may be talking utter bull.

That, in part, explains the unusually high ratio of overseas students in UK (and also Australian) universities. Its a very good money earner.

bigAPE Jul 22nd 2008 2:52 am

Originally Posted by spartacus (Post 6596494)
As far as I know 'free' only exists in Scotland for Scottish students and those from the EU (excluding England and Wales). Non EU residents pay overseas fees.

In England and Wales, students are liable for fees dependent on where they are normally resident.

But be warned, as others have already noted, I may be talking utter bull.

I try to avoid utter bull so I will ignore your response ;) :D

spartacus Jul 22nd 2008 2:54 am

Originally Posted by bigAPE (Post 6596500)
I try to avoid utter bull so I will ignore your response ;) :D

If I were you I probably would also.;)

jad n rich Jul 22nd 2008 2:57 am

Originally Posted by bigAPE (Post 6596472)

Al

What the petition is about is not 'free' university, UK and australians in their own country still pay uni fees. , but they are heavily subsidised by the gov.

The petition is about mum and dad UK citizens immigrating to australia/canada etc, then after 3 years returning to the UK and their UK born children are then classed as OVERSEAS students and attract the overseas fees which can be around 12,000 GBP per year.

In other words any family on this forum emigrating to OZ etc, then returns to the UK after 3 years or more will attract a bill for their kids uni education at the overseas student rate :eek: despite the fact they were born in UK.

bigAPE Jul 22nd 2008 3:06 am

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 6596513)
What the petition is about is not 'free' university, UK and australians in their own country still pay uni fees. , but they are heavily subsidised by the gov.

The petition is about mum and dad UK citizens immigrating to australia/canada etc, then after 3 years returning to the UK and their UK born children are then classed as OVERSEAS students and attract the overseas fees which can be around 12,000 GBP per year.

In other words any family on this forum emigrating to OZ etc, then returns to the UK after 3 years or more will attract a bill for their kids uni education at the overseas student rate :eek: despite the fact they were born in UK.

Thanks for clearing that up. A couple of further questions.

If the fees for overseas students are ~£12,000/pa, what is the figure for British Citizens resident in the UK ? i.e. what is the subsidy from the UK Government ?

Does this apply only to those who are Permanent Residents in Australia or those on Temporary Residency and work sponsored visas as well ? There is a distinct difference between someone intending to work here for a couple of years (even three) and someone with a PR visa intending to live out here for ever and then changing their mind.

What is the situation if you are the same student trying to get a University education in Australia ? Are there any fees to pay? Are the fees different if you're not a citizen/PR ? Does the visa you are on make a difference to the fee structure (if any) ?

Al

jad n rich Jul 22nd 2008 3:17 am

Originally Posted by bigAPE (Post 6596530)
Thanks for clearing that up. A couple of further questions.

If the fees for overseas students are ~£12,000/pa, what is the figure for British Citizens resident in the UK ? i.e. what is the subsidy from the UK Government ?

Does this apply only to those who are Permanent Residents in Australia or those on Temporary Residency and work sponsored visas as well ? There is a distinct difference between someone intending to work here for a couple of years (even three) and someone with a PR visa intending to live out here for ever and then changing their mind.

What is the situation if you are the same student trying to get a University education in Australia ? Are there any fees to pay? Are the fees different if you're not a citizen/PR ? Does the visa you are on make a difference to the fee structure (if any) ?

Al

As far as I know university fees in the UK are similar to OZ at the subsidised rate, in OZ that is from $4200 to $8000 per year depending on the course, that is for australians and uk people with PR.

My knowledge of visas is basically nil:D maybe jaj can answer that.

Brother did university in the UK recently the fees as a UK citizen I think he said 3800 GBP so the difference is huge. compared to OS fees of 12000 GBP.