Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

You know you are a true Aussie when.....

You know you are a true Aussie when.....

Old Nov 10th 2004, 2:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know you are a true Aussie when.....

Originally Posted by mlbonner
That'll suffice!
Michelle, I can hear you laughing right across the CBD.........
Old Nov 10th 2004, 2:06 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I'm bored, so here goes.

3) You've done the "hot sand" dance at the beach while running from
the ocean back to your towel. (well, when I lived here before)

4) You know who Ray Martin is. (argh!)

5) You start using words like "reckon" and "root" and call people
"mate". (reckon is a normal word I reckon )

6) You stop greeting people with "hello" and go straight to the "how
ya doin'?"

7) You've seriously considered running down the shop in a pair of Ugg
Boots

8) You own a pair of ugg boots.

10) You kind of know the first verse to the national anthem, but
don't know what "girt" means. (surrounded?)

11) You have a story that somehow revolves around excess consumption
of alcohol and a mate named "Dave". (Well, there's Josh, Jeremy and Allen.....)

13) You've tried to hang off a clothesline while pretending you can
fly. (when I was a kid! But this has made me think, we do have a hills hoist! )

15) You own a pair of thongs for everyday use, and another pair of
"dress thongs" for special occasions. (planning to by that second pair soon)

17) You pronounce Australia as "Stralya"

18) You call soccer soccer, not football! (of course!)

21) You realise that lifeguards are the only people who can get away
with wearing Speedos. (Yes, not even Badge! )

23) You understand the value of public holidays.

29) You use the phrase, "no worries" at least once a day.

31) You constantly shorten words to "brekkie", "arvo" and "barbie"

And of course: I have the passport!!
Old Nov 10th 2004, 2:10 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Michelle, I can hear you laughing right across the CBD.........
note to self: laugh quieter

(just kidding Badge )
Old Nov 10th 2004, 2:10 am
Badge

I admit that the rear view does not do me justice, but I think the front view is a better reflection. And there is no socks involved..lol

the things you do eh

BM

Old Nov 10th 2004, 2:13 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge
I admit that the rear view does not do me justice, but I think the front view is a better reflection. And there is no socks involved..lol

the things you do eh

BM
Bet you thought that thread was long dead and buried too!
Old Nov 10th 2004, 2:15 am
Badge

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Bet you thought that thread was long dead and buried too!
no...I didn't...I set myself up true and square.....thought this would happen.

Loads of karma please...

BM

Old Nov 10th 2004, 3:01 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by hevs
Subject: FW: BEING STRAYLYAN (Australian)

11) You have a story that somehow revolves around excess consumption
of alcohol and a mate named "Dave".
Believe it or not I do have a mate here called Dave. He is a bit of a drunkard lol, and a bit of a divvy.

How's it going, no worries and Barbie, I certainly say those 3.

"arvo" etc .. Nope, mind you the only people I hear saying that are the sort of people who wear a checkshirt, mullet ,thongs, and name their Heelers the very unique name of Bluey. I refuse to say arvo.. it's so, so very uncouth lol.

Thongs .. no, I refuse to call them thongs lol.. Thongs are for your arse, not your feet . I don't wear them , cheap and nasty things ( I've just upset all the millions of people who wear them now ..lol).. ok I confess I own one pair of them,lol , for slipping on my feet just to wear in our garden

.................................................. .....................................

As for the rest.. "root" I remember people using that word in the UK when I was a teenager, which must have been around 100 years ago now lol.. give you a good rooting ( sh*gging) and root (sh*g) has been used for years and years in certain parts of the Uk, it's not uniquely Australian.

I noticed an article in the Saturday courier mail ( or it may have been in the Sunday Mail) the week before last "new Aussie Buzz words" . On that list was "minging" ..Lol. Now this word has been very commonly used , in everyday language since I was knee high to a nipper. A lot of Welsh people say this , or grew up with it, and a lot of Scottish people use it.
Apparently some people ( the Scottish) say it originally came from Scotland, and the welsh adopted it as their own. I don't know how true that is about Scotland inventing it, anyway it's as commonly used word in Wales as saying "in it, or over by there, like " .. It's as old as the hills, It was being used way, way before I was born.. and yet it is apparently a new aussie teenage ,fashion, street "in" word according to the article. Can't say I've heard anyone using it here though... so I think the the article is talking b*ll8x! lol

Fuggly was another one that was on this new fashion word "aussie" list.. hello lol, another word that has been used for donkeys years in many parts of the UK.. it means F*ing Ugly.. although the article in the paper said it meant extremely ugly. I suppose they couldn't say the F... ing word in the article.

sees youse laters, now where are my thongs and I must brush this mullet of mine.. bluey come on boy walkies .. oops

Last edited by Ceri; Nov 10th 2004 at 3:03 am.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

westiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to all

Now I'm confused ! I passed all of those but thought I'd been living in New Zealand for the last 3 years. The puppy has just chewed up my dress thongs - dammit, I'll have to save up another $5.99 now !
Old Nov 10th 2004, 3:25 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by westiepom
Now I'm confused ! I passed all of those but thought I'd been living in New Zealand for the last 3 years. The puppy has just chewed up my dress thongs - dammit, I'll have to save up another $5.99 now !
I thought they called them jangles over there?
Old Nov 10th 2004, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

westiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to all

Jandles / Thongs - they're all just flip flops at the end of the day !
Old Nov 10th 2004, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

sunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura about

11 - my ex was called dave and the main reason for me breaking up with him was his excessive and uncontroled use/abuse of alcohol.
he harrassed me for months after, and i told him to go and get f***d....poor thing - i've just realised that it wasnt his fault - it was because he was a true blue aussie and his name was dave - so he was right - the fact that he was an alcoholic wasnt due to his lack of backbone but it was genetic after all....do you reckon ( ) i should try and patch things up again???

tanja
Old Nov 10th 2004, 9:00 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

so......who is Ray Martin?
Old Nov 10th 2004, 9:17 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by banjo
so......who is Ray Martin?
Apparently he presented "A current affair" and was a reporter on "60 minutes"....so the Bloke says. Not being an Aussie yet, I hadn't a clue!
Old Nov 10th 2004, 9:27 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously not being up to full speed on the lingo:-

15) You own a pair of thongs for everyday use, and another pair of
"dress thongs" for special occasions.

As you can imagine, this worried me greatly :scared: until I read the flip flop post -

Sel x
Old Nov 10th 2004, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

Wait untill you're asked if you want to sit on the dick !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.