Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

You know it's time to leave the UK when...

You know it's time to leave the UK when...

Old Jun 9th 2004, 1:52 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by jandjuk
isn't this all a bit of an over-reaction to a few people complaining about a billboard near their place of worship??
Isn't what an over-reaction?

There were two complaints. The ads came down. Now that's what I call an over-reaction. Which is what we were discussing on this thread, I think. Yes, people are allowed to complain, but they're not allowed to expect that everyone else should drop everything they were doing and comply with their demands 100%. A little give-and-take is what's called for here.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know it's time to leave the UK when...

Originally posted by flying dutchman
I think part of the problem is people saying 'this is our country'. In fact it is just an island (England). It belongs to us all. I feel Muslims, Hindu, Christians, English and even us Dutch should all have the same rights. The problems arise when one group gets favoured over an other.

This is about tolerance and I think we all need to be careful about saying wordss to the effect 'this is my country and I deserve more than you!'

One of the reasons I like the UK (most of the time) is that I can voice my liberal Dutch opinions with colleagues or friends and not get lynched for it. I can support non-England teams in the Euro 2004 and not get attacked (hopefully) and I think it is for these reasons that many Muslims choose to come and live in this tolerant society.

The more they feel trampled on in their own countries by US/British/Western interests, the more defensive they are going to become.

Just my thoughts but the way forward needs to be through mutual respect by all and most of us might be respectful to Muslims in our day-to-day affairs, but the US and Blair administrations have a lot to answer for.
100% agree. The UK is a nation of immigrants (some uninvited, like the Danes and those French blokes in 1066 ) - it's this diversity that makes it such an interesting and - in the main - very tolerant country.

Jeez, if we had remained pure English, ie Welsh - we might all have ended up like WBB - the baird of Port Talbot.

And that is a very scary thought :scared:

Last edited by MikeStanton; Jun 9th 2004 at 1:55 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 1:54 pm
mickj

Default Re: You know it's time to leave the UK when...

LOL

Originally posted by MikeStanton
100% agree. The UK is a nation of immigrants (some uninvited, like the Danes and those French blokes in 1066 ) - it's this diversity that makes it such an interesting and - in the main - very tolerant country.

Jeez, if we had remained pure English, ie Welsh - we might all have ended up like WBB - the baird of Port Talbot.

And that is very scary thought :scared:

Old Jun 9th 2004, 4:54 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

yes but what is 'england's way'?? If the Muslim population makes up part of England, why shouldn't their views and concerns be listened to??

You don't have to send your kids to 'their' single sex schools, their mosques or whatever. You don't have any more right to define 'England's way' as anybody else who pays taxes.

I think most people who have been an 'expat' of any description know it is only natural to want to retain your own culture as well as adopt a new one. It just so happens many Muslim cultures are so different to English culture that it stands out more and the clash is greater - when compared to NZ or European cultures for example.

I'm sure many NZers would have something to say about similar situations in NZ - doesn't make it right in my view.

anyway, removing the signs for two complaints is a bit silly - but it's not really the Muslims fault somebody listened to them.

Originally posted by xxdebsonlinexx
you have got me all wrong i have no proplems with people from other counties in the uk they do have rights and they are aloud freedom of speech that isnt not what i was saying.

what i am trying to say is that yes it is our country and we have rules just like any other but the rules seem to get lost when certain people are involved. its frustrating to see what some people get as to what others get.

like someone has said muslims want it so there are more single sexed schools but why ??? yes it is their way but its not Englands way. they should accept that this is how we do things

if we came to nz and started to preach about what we wanted then im sure they would have something to say.

i wouldnt go to oz or nz or anywhere and start asking them to change their ways to suit the brits as they have rules and ways how they do things and if im going into a different country then i would certainly accept that this is how it is.

Debs xxxx
Old Jun 9th 2004, 5:07 pm
mickj

I have know of adverts and billboards being removed after a few complaints in the UK. Wasn't there a complaint about the "hello boys" wonderbra adverts?

Like i said before, its only the ones that haven't got anything going for them, that complain. Your average middle class family can't be arsed really.

yes but what is 'england's way'?? If the Muslim population makes up part of England, why shouldn't their views and concerns be listened to??

You don't have to send your kids to 'their' single sex schools, their mosques or whatever. You don't have any more right to define 'England's way' as anybody else who pays taxes.

I think most people who have been an 'expat' of any description know it is only natural to want to retain your own culture as well as adopt a new one. It just so happens many Muslim cultures are so different to English culture that it stands out more and the clash is greater - when compared to NZ or European cultures for example.

I'm sure many NZers would have something to say about similar situations in NZ - doesn't make it right in my view.

anyway, removing the signs for two complaints is a bit silly - but it's not really the Muslims fault somebody listened to them.

Old Jun 9th 2004, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

xxdebsonlinexx will become famous soon enoughxxdebsonlinexx will become famous soon enough

what is the english way well its obviouse that you dont know what it is or you wouldnt be asking. its where we as british people want a place that is equal not a place that another culture asks for something and the bloody government is afraid to say NO to. we accept all races in the uk i dont give a sh** wether they are black, green , yellow , pink ETC but why should they get what they ask for why should we bend over backwards for them, they wouldnt do it for us in there country.

i have every right to say what i want about englands way it isnt a muslim state but that it what alot of them want and if the government dont get off their arses and say NO now and then well that is what it will be.

Debs xxxx
ive edited this post for reasons of my own

Last edited by xxdebsonlinexx; Jun 9th 2004 at 6:07 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 6:01 pm
Class 2 Guru

You don't have to send your kids to 'their' single sex schools
If what they are asking for is more state-funded single-sex schools, then yes, we do have to, because of the ever-diminishing choice about where to send our kids.

If OTOH they're asking to be able to set up more private single-sex schools then the government has no right to interfere and tell them not to.

(I genuinely don't know which is the case here.)
Old Jun 9th 2004, 6:05 pm
Class 2 Guru

i have every right to say what i want about englands way it isnt a muslim state
So you're saying we should all be good little Christians? That there's no room for Muslims here? But no, you can't be saying that, you said we accept all races. So, you want to be able to accept Muslims with open arms but then turn round and say "but you're not allowed to maintain your values once you've got here"? Makes no sense to me.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 6:08 pm
mickj

They.....who are we talking about here, people of a different background born in the UK? I believe these people are british, being born in the UK makes them as british as you, colour of the skin might be different.

How far back do you want to go, you will probably find out that some of your generations were immigrants to the UK. Is the queen british, even though her folks were German?

Prince William, Greek grandpa, doesn't make him Greek does it?

what is the english way well its obviouse that you dont know what it is or you wouldnt be asking. its where we as british people want a place that is equal not a place that another culture asks for something and the bloody government is afraid to say NO to. we accept all races in the uk i dont give a sh** wether they are black, green , yellow , pink ETC but why should they get what they ask for why should we bend over backwards for them, they wouldnt do it for us in there country.

i have every right to say what i want about englands way it isnt a muslim state but that it what alot of them want and if the government dont get off their arses and say NO now and then well that is what it will be.

as far as your comment about brits being second place in oz or nz in your earlier posting well how come we come second is it because we are not from australia/newzealand mmmm now who's being 2 faced it certainly aint me i thought everyone was an equal

Debs xxxx

Old Jun 9th 2004, 6:09 pm
Class 2 Guru

Originally posted by mickj
I have know of adverts and billboards being removed after a few complaints in the UK. Wasn't there a complaint about the "hello boys" wonderbra adverts?
Quite right, can't have bl**dy Czechs plastered all over the high street. What's wrong with good old decent English models? Damned foreigners coming over here and taking our billboard space.

('Twas Eva Herzigova, no?)
Old Jun 9th 2004, 6:11 pm
mickj

Oh....i forgot, she is not british, Liz Hurley would have been all-white I believe the issue here was the nudeness, not the nationality

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
Quite right, can't have bl**dy Czechs plastered all over the high street. What's wrong with good old decent English models? Damned foreigners coming over here and taking our billboard space.

('Twas Eva Herzigova, no?)

Last edited by mickj; Jun 9th 2004 at 6:14 pm.

Old Jun 9th 2004, 6:32 pm
Class 2 Guru

Originally posted by mickj
Oh....i forgot, she is not british, Liz Hurley would have been all-white I believe the issue here was the nudeness, not the nationality
Yes I know, I was extracting the urine in order to throw some perspective on the subject at hand. Dear god has this thread sucked out everyone's sense of humour? (And yes some may think that that should be a capital "G" but I do not.) Cor blimey guv, live and let live.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 6:42 pm
mickj

Blimey! yes I know, I was extractin' da urine in order ter frow some perspective on da subject at 'and. Dear god 'as dis fread sucked aaaht everyone's Eighteen Pence ov 'umaaahr? (And yes some may think what that should be a capital "G" but I do not.) Cor blimey guv, live an' let live. . Nuff said, yeah?

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
Yes I know, I was extracting the urine in order to throw some perspective on the subject at hand. Dear god has this thread sucked out everyone's sense of humour? (And yes some may think that that should be a capital "G" but I do not.) Cor blimey guv, live and let live.

Old Jun 9th 2004, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

was going to post something really intelligent to this post but can't think of anything to say!
all i will say is that i was bought up to believe that we all bleed the same colour, no matter what our race, creed or colour and after all aren't most of us on here about to become immigrants into 'someone else's country'!
Old Jun 9th 2004, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by nosuchluck
was going to post something really intelligent to this post but can't think of anything to say!
all i will say is that i was bought up to believe that we all bleed the same colour, no matter what our race, creed or colour and after all aren't most of us on here about to become immigrants into 'someone else's country'!
Very well said Rach.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.