Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

You know it's time to leave the UK when...

You know it's time to leave the UK when...

Old Jun 9th 2004, 2:39 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default You know it's time to leave the UK when...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/3788527.stm
Old Jun 9th 2004, 6:25 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody Cheek !
Old Jun 9th 2004, 6:31 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Yet another example of the majority having to bow to the will of the minority. PC gone mad.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 6:34 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

It can just get all a bit ridiculous... like did you hear about the cab drivers in Rochdale who were told they couldn't fly those England flags on their cars because it was deemed as advertising. They got the ruling overturned in the end, but IMO how stupid can some people get?!!?!
Old Jun 9th 2004, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

KayCee is an unknown quantity at this point

In the paper yesterday, they were asking people to ensure that the English flags were fixed properly to their cars or they could casue an accident. They were also advising people in Bradford (I think) to remove them all together in case it caused offense???
They come to our country and we are not allowed to show support for our own country in case we up set them?? Hello!!! What has the world come to?

Sorry, but it really bugs me
Old Jun 9th 2004, 8:31 am
Visa'd Up Dutch Member

flying dutchman will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by KayCee
In the paper yesterday, they were asking people to ensure that the English flags were fixed properly to their cars or they could casue an accident. They were also advising people in Bradford (I think) to remove them all together in case it caused offense???
They come to our country and we are not allowed to show support for our own country in case we up set them?? Hello!!! What has the world come to?

Sorry, but it really bugs me

Its these thypes of PC gone mad that are causing a rise in nationalism all over Europe. I have nothing against muslims or any other religious/racial group, but I often wonder why the groups that expect the most understanding in Western countries, are the least accomodating to Western ideas in their own.

The Dutch politician Pim Fortuyn won huge support in The Netherlands as a nationalist because he started to fight for Dutch peoples rights in their own country saying that our values were being erradicated through acomodating our more conservative immigrants.

Before anyone jumps on my neck - I am strongly against nationalism and racism, but unless we find a happy medium, the divide is going to broaden across Europe. Look at the current advertising campaign for the BNP. I know they're racists, but their campaign is very clever and will appeal to a certain (growing) element of the population.

Its all about tolerance but it has to work both ways...
Old Jun 9th 2004, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

I totally agree with you. I am not a racist in the slightest but it really bugs me!!!
Old Jun 9th 2004, 8:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know it's time to leave the UK when...

If I were go and live in a muslim country would I have to abide by their rules or would I be allowed to wear what I want and go where I want.

PC has its place but for gods sake a bit of common sense would be good.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

jugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud of

Originally posted by artep
Bloody Cheek !

several bloody cheeks
Old Jun 9th 2004, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Two of the poster sites were in Bury - my home town !!

Most exciting thing that has happened up there for a long time, I can tell you
Old Jun 9th 2004, 8:55 am
Visa'd Up Dutch Member

flying dutchman will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by moneypen20
If I were go and live in a muslim country would I have to abide by their rules or would I be allowed to wear what I want and go where I want.

Agreed. That's exactly the point. For example, in Saudi, Western women risk being stoned or have paint thrown on them if they don't cover-up. OK, that's their culture.

Over here we do things differently but it seems our European and Western cultures are being curbed so as not to offend our muslim immigrants.

Its sad. I consider myself to be one of the most tolerant people around having lived all over Europe and in Canada (and soon in Australia). But, I expect people to be tollerant of me and my culture too.

There's a happy medium somewhere and the west doesn't have it right either. I personally (just my opinion) feel that the way the USA swaggers round the world like some global John Wayne leaves a lot to be desired too. They are as blinkered as some other cultures in presuming their culture is the only right one and enforcing it onto the rest of the world.

Maybe Europe and Australia are as close as we have gotten at religious and cultural harmony. Still not good enough...

:lecture:
Old Jun 9th 2004, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

xxdebsonlinexx will become famous soon enoughxxdebsonlinexx will become famous soon enough

what makes me laugh about posts like this is that everyone has a say about how they feel about how we can and cant show the england flag or put up poster as it might offend. i agree with what you say but remember this is not a muslim country we do not have to bow to their rules e.t.c and for the comment on how you know that the BNP are racist's how do you know this for sure do you know anyone who is in the BNP.

where i am we had riots a couple of years ago it wasnt funny my kids were very scared and we were not aloud to goto the area at all.

these riots were caused by both sides the english and the muslims but do you know why?? maybe not as you might not live around here.

well one of the reasons is that the council tend to put more money into the areas where most of the muslims live but when it comes to other areas nothing is spent. closure of old peoples home are happening as they say they have no money mmmm so what about all the houses in one area that have had all there houses sand blasted new gates kitchen ETC.

so now you know what its like to live somewhere where the muslims come first and the english seem to come second. i have friends who are muslims and i dont class my self as racist but when it comes down to it and im sure some of you will agree its our country not theirs and we shouldnt have to live by their rules

Debs xxxx
Old Jun 9th 2004, 10:38 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

It will be quite pleasant to be able to fly the national flag in Oz without fear of being mistaken for a racist (and it's a nicer flag too! I like the stars!)

As for knowing whether the BNP is racist (or perhaps more accurately, nationalist) just listen to what they say. You don't have to know them personally.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Well said Debs!!
Old Jun 9th 2004, 10:43 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by moneypen20

Well they wouldn't expect you to convert! And as a Westerner it's quite easy to get alcohol in what should theoretically be an alcohol-free country.

PC has its place alright, in the bin! Did Simone take offence when I talked about "Dutch courage" today? I think not. Yet in theory/derivation it's a derogatory remark about the Dutch in general.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.