Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are you going to miss the UK at all??

Wikiposts

Are you going to miss the UK at all??

Old Jul 17th 2003, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

Being Scottish, we don’t experience the Whinging Pom bit at all. We have an instant camaraderie with the Ozzys, as we hate the English too! <---- That was a joke, just in case my smilies don't convey it!
Old Jul 17th 2003, 12:24 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dracupg
Being Scottish, we don’t experience the Whinging Pom bit at all. We have an instant camaraderie with the Ozzys, as we hate the English too! <---- That was a joke, just in case my smilies don't convey it!
Most Aussies see themselves as Celtic (Irish/Scottish) so the love of Poms is in bred.
My wife has an English sounding accent is most offended by being labeled a Pom , the other British races are well thought of not so the dreaded Pom.

Old Jul 17th 2003, 2:06 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by dracupg
Funny thing is most "white" Aussies are more likely to be English, and a lot of them are English. I personally find that a lot of Aussies will say something like "I have Irish ancestry" etc, etc - you then ask where their parents were born and more often or not they are English, or their grandparents. But they seem to want to skip, totally ignore the English bit and claim to be Irish etc because their, great, great, great, great grandparent was Irish... or so they claim. If I had a dollar for every Aussie who claims to be Irish I'd be very rich! One of my friends an aussie has a English father and a polish mother - he says he is a Pole - he will not admit to being half English - I always take the Mick and call him a pom - it winds him up something rotten.

It's pretty obvious really that there are more English here than Irish, Scots or Welsh - do the figures. If you believed everything "they" said here -they're all Irish, Scots and Welsh - funny considering that these three nationalities are way in the minority.
It's a case of "thou do protest too much" and all that jazz.

I don't know ... some of them have a real identify crisis here. By the way, I have a Welsh Father and an Irish mum - but I claim to be Welsh as that's where I was born and grew up - this is why I have a good laugh at some of these people here - they seem to have an identity crisis. And most people I know will not admit to having English blood - Or perhaps I'm mixing with the wrong people eh.

Cheers.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 3:18 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Is this what you were after?

http://www.abs.gov.au/Ausstats/abs%4...256d39001bc337!

This is a bit out of context now after deletion of another post but makes interesting reading nonetheless.

Last edited by jayr; Jul 17th 2003 at 3:22 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

kaleb777 is an unknown quantity at this point

That's called segregation. Australia doesn't want that crap here. That's a leftist idea of what a multicultural country should be like - many different races and cultures living in the same country but never mixing.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 6:03 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by kaleb777
That's called segregation. Australia doesn't want that crap here. That's a leftist idea of what a multicultural country should be like - many different races and cultures living in the same country but never mixing.

No them Abos are bad news and the other 160 races should be sent home , get real.

Old Jul 17th 2003, 6:07 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jayr
Is this what you were after?

http://www.abs.gov.au/Ausstats/abs%4...256d39001bc337!

This is a bit out of context now after deletion of another post but makes interesting reading nonetheless.
Sorry jayr. I did delete my post as I could not get the html tags to stick, so gave up. Thanks for reposting the link.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 7:14 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you going to miss the UK?

I have been here for 2 years now, so I have had plenty of time to settle in, so this is more of a "things I do miss, things I don't miss, things I would miss if I ever went back" post.
I think there will always be things that one misses - but as several people have pointed out, there is a difference between missing them and constantly whinging about them. Also, I agree with Kaleb77's comments about comparing things and labelling "different" as "worse". I guess we all come across as doing that sometimes - I know my wife has accused me of it, when I thought I was simply observing a difference. I also agree that there is no point trying to bring the UK to Aus - at least not all of it.

Things I miss:
English beer

The Today programme on radio 4 (but ABC radio is pretty close)
Long summer evenings
Being close enought to go and visit family for the weekend (the time required now - as well as the expense - means we might get to the UK later this year
Walks/runs in the English countryside - especially doing the same route throughout the year and seeing the seasons changing
The countryside on a winter morning with a sharp frost - and getting in from a run with ice on my eyebrows.
Bluebell Woods
Real Ale and village pubs

Church Bells (I am/was a bellringer)
Being surrounded by history (and taking it for granted)
Traditional Christmas dinner
Did I mention the beer?

Things I do not miss:
Short grey days in winter when you leave the house in the dark, get back in the dark and do not see the sun for days on end because of the cloud
Taking over an hour to drive 17 miles to work in the morning
Getting up half an hour earlier in the winter so as to scrape ice off the car
The traffic - congestion, speeding, bad driving, road rage - everything about it.
Leaving the house at 6.30 to drive to the station, to get on a (late) crappy slam-door commuter wreck from South Waste trains, so I could get to Waterloo by whatever time they could manage (but in 2 years of doing the trip it was only on time about once a week), so I could cram onto the Waterloo and Shitty line (or walk if I felt like fending off the beggars), to get to work by 9, so I could work till 6 and then repeat in reverse so as to get home by 8.30, so I could eat something, watch a little telly and collapse into bed so as to start the whole bloody process again. Nope - don't miss that.

Aussie things I would miss if I left:
The weather
The fishing
Having "exotic" fruit growing in the garden (paw paw, mandarin, lime, lemon, passion fruit)
Lorikeets in the garden
Being able to live outside for most of the year
Not ever needing a coat
The shorter working day
The laid back approach to life
Four wheel driving on miles and miles of pristine beaches
The fishing
The friendliness of the people
Decent BBQs
The space (in the house, in the yard, everywhere)
Driving to work under blue skies nearly every day
Did I mention the Fishing
Being able to walk around in the middle of winter in shorts and T shirt (and have locals say oooh aren't you cold?)

UK things and customs I have brought with me to help:
I occasionally treat myself to a few bottles of Old Speckled Hen, though I am busy testing all the Aussie beers I can to find the ones I like (so far James Squires Amber Ale is top of my list)

Last Christmas I made a traditional Christmas pudding (we had it after our traditional Aussie cold meat and salads).
My wife (who is lovely) bought me some bluebells to plant in the yard.

Cheers
Old Jul 18th 2003, 12:59 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you going to miss the UK?

Originally posted by DagBoy
I have been here for 2 years now, so I have had plenty of time to settle in, so this is more of a "things I do miss, things I don't miss, things I would miss if I ever went back" post.
I think there will always be things that one misses - but as several people have pointed out, there is a difference between missing them and constantly whinging about them. Also, I agree with Kaleb77's comments about comparing things and labelling "different" as "worse". I guess we all come across as doing that sometimes - I know my wife has accused me of it, when I thought I was simply observing a difference. I also agree that there is no point trying to bring the UK to Aus - at least not all of it.

Things I miss:
English beer

Long summer evenings
Being close enought to go and visit family for the weekend (the time required now - as well as the expense - means we might get to the UK later this year
Walks/runs in the English countryside - especially doing the same route throughout the year and seeing the seasons changing
The countryside on a winter morning with a sharp frost - and getting in from a run with ice on my eyebrows.
Bluebell Woods

Did I mention the beer?

Things I do not miss:
Short grey days in winter when you leave the house in the dark, get back in the dark and do not see the sun for days on end because of the cloud
The traffic - congestion, speeding, bad driving, road rage - everything about it.
Leaving the house at 6.30 to drive to the station, to get on a (late) crappy slam-door commuter wreck from South Waste trains, so I could get to Waterloo by whatever time they could manage (but in 2 years of doing the trip it was only on time about once a week), so I could cram onto the Waterloo and Shitty line (or walk if I felt like fending off the beggars), to get to work by 9, so I could work till 6 and then repeat in reverse so as to get home by 8.30, so I could eat something, watch a little telly and collapse into bed so as to start the whole bloody process again. Nope - don't miss that.

The weather
The fishing
Having "exotic" fruit growing in the garden (paw paw, mandarin, lime, lemon, passion fruit)
Lorikeets in the garden
Not ever needing a coat
The shorter working day
The fishing
Decent BBQs
Being able to walk around in the middle of winter in shorts and T shirt (and have locals say oooh aren't you cold?)

I occasionally treat myself to a few bottles of Old Speckled Hen, though I am busy testing all the Aussie beers I can to find the ones I like (so far James Squires Amber Ale is top of my list)

Last Christmas I made a traditional Christmas pudding (we had it after our traditional Aussie cold meat and salads).

Cheers
best post i have read on here for along time, i,ve been here 40 yrs ,and you nearly made me want to go back for a look,pity you live in queersland if you lived in ,real australia we would introduce you to a real beer ,COOPERS sparkling ale....... MM
Old Jul 18th 2003, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Are you going to miss the UK? DAGBOY

Things I miss:
English beer

Long summer evenings
Bluebell Woods

Did I mention the beer?

Things I do not miss:

The weather
The fishing
Lorikeets in the garden
Not ever needing a coat
The shorter working day
The fishing
Decent BBQs

Cheers
What a great honest post! thoroughly enjoyed reading it!
can't wait to get to OZ
best regards
rach
Old Jul 18th 2003, 12:31 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

...pity you live in queersland if you lived in ,real australia we would introduce you to a real beer ,COOPERS sparkling ale.
Coopers sparkling is actually second on my list after James Squires Amber.

DagBoy
Old Jul 18th 2003, 12:51 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Coopers sparkling is actually second on my list after James Squires Amber.

DagBoy
you have great taste........more power to your buds.............. MM
Old Jul 19th 2003, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

DagBoy - great post and what a great attitude to life!

Just thought I'd mention - if you get Broadband internet access you can even listen to the Today programme on R4 whatever time of day you want. Check out the link below (paste into your browser). You can also play the radio stations as they are broadcast.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/
Old Jul 19th 2003, 3:52 pm
Cheesy Member

Jolyn,
Thanks for that. I do sometimes listen in if I am working in our company office rather than out on site and I have been known to tune in from home too (especially after the World Trade Centre attack when I felt a terrible need to hear the BBC's version of events) but my usual time/place for listening is in the car on the way into work.
As well as that, although I cannot fault the Today programme for their UK, Europe and US coverage, they are a bit thin on the ground when it comes to Aus (or maybe nothing much happens here), so ABC it is
Old Jul 19th 2003, 4:02 pm
The Tooth Fairy

ABC NewsRadio - frequencies

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.