Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are you going to miss the UK at all??

Wikiposts

Are you going to miss the UK at all??

Old Jul 14th 2003, 12:08 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

When I am on holiday there, I just love the way those nationalities live. The slow food movement in Italy is one example, plus the emphasis on regional specialities and the fact they all sit down as a family to eat their meals.

And the language, and the way they talk with their whole bodies, not just their words.

I could sit in a square in Italy, and watch the world going by for days on end and I would be fascinated the whole time. If I was to sit in a local English market square, it would be dead boring by comparison.

I wasn't really suggesting the French and Italians should take over the British Isles, but it was an amusing thought to think what if Napolean had got his way. Would we all be running for the exit doors as we now are?
Old Jul 14th 2003, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

TIZUS is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah ha right there with you now! I too could spend many a day watching the world go by people watching..... but your right its not quite the same here....AMUSING BUT NOT tHE SAME!

Tori
Old Jul 14th 2003, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

my ex g.f lives just outside milan
she was a marketing manager over here doing pretty well..

she now tefl's (just chilling out as b.f works) and couldn't bring herself to actually tell me how badly they paid there..

but it was less for a month what she took for a week..
her comments on life the itailian way

women are positively frowned upon if they have more than 1 glass of wine

never ever be seen drunk unless it's your brit friends staying and don't take them to your usual haunts either

girls NEVER go out as a group

you must be 'seen' in the right clothes at all times or your friends won't bother calling..

(my ex busniess partner tells of being bought a new belt whilst there by his italian friends because the buckle was not this seasons metal !!)

the momma's boy syndrome is still very much alive.

chauvinism rules the italian world-don't think you can change that

men are expected to take a mistress (not all do but most will at some time)

men don't help the women round the house

women look great in thier late teens 20's and maybe some in their 30's then they get old and fat...(see the mistress line)

so yes it may well have been better if the french/italians took us over...if you're male...;-)

cheers

richard
Old Jul 14th 2003, 5:26 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Nope. Turn 30, turn fatty. That's the Italian way.

Lived there a wee whiley.

Love the place. Love Italy and all things Italian. (Especially food. And wine. And women. And...)

But turn 30 (female), turn fatty.
Old Jul 14th 2003, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

yes i agree i was being generous but i did have a rider with the 'some' bit..
sophia loren managed to keep her looks (admittedly with the help of an s. american plastic surgeon)

still i stand by the rest (or at least kate does....)

cheers

richard
Old Jul 14th 2003, 5:43 am
Just Joined

si_free is an unknown quantity at this point

When the UK is warm and sunny it is probably the best place on earth.

We might not all be so keen to leave if it was like this more often. The sad truth is that it never lasts long enough and so here we all are trying to plan our escapes..........
Old Jul 14th 2003, 5:50 am
Don
Banned

Who cares if they turn a bit 'generous' when they turn 30?!!!

I love those Italian girls, they are more cuto than prosciutto, they are better-to-getti than spaghetti, they are more besta-nighta-in-Firenze than bistecca fiorentina.

Cheers!
Old Jul 14th 2003, 7:21 am
Don
Banned

And they know how to make your penne - pronte! Al dente!!!
Old Jul 14th 2003, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

easy tiger!!

yes i agree the girls at the monza g.p are something to behold -but their mums arn't...

prego

richard
Old Jul 14th 2003, 12:57 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by si_free
When the UK is warm and sunny it is probably the best place on earth......
... to hang around in a town centre pub beer garden, with your shirt off, drinking lager.
Old Jul 14th 2003, 3:58 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by renth
... to hang around in a town centre pub beer garden, with your shirt off, drinking lager.
Love WA its nearest to the landscape of the Moon you can get , to hang out with family and friends at a Brit country Pub in Summer is better than any beach in Australia .

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jul 14th 2003 at 4:01 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2003, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Love WA its nearest to the landscape of the Moon you can get , to hang out with family and friends at a Brit country Pub in Summer is better than any beach in Australia .

Shame you only get 2 months of summer if your lucky and 10 months of winter weather.
Old Jul 14th 2003, 4:10 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Shame you only get 2 months of summer if your lucky and 10 months of winter weather.
60 days at a country Pub in Summer then the rest of the year in front of a open fire in the bar heaven.

Old Jul 14th 2003, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by pommie bastard
60 days at a country Pub in Summer then the rest of the year in front of a open fire in the bar heaven.

Says a lot about your expectations in life dosn't it. WHY did you bother comming out here in the first place.
Old Jul 14th 2003, 4:18 pm
Banned

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Says a lot about your expectations in life dosn't it. WHY did you bother comming out here in the first place.

Missionary work but the natives are far too backward for me , you can do better than that .
My expectations are to live out my life with my family and in a country than has a place in the world and thats not Australia.
You seem very quiet on your family have they dis-owned you?

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jul 14th 2003 at 4:59 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.