Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are you going to miss the UK at all??

Are you going to miss the UK at all??

Old Jul 12th 2003, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about
Default Are you going to miss the UK at all??

I've been living in the UK for the last 10 years, and last night really brought home to me that I am definitely going to miss lots of things about the UK that I've come to know and love.

1. The music. I absolutely love the music that they have here in the UK. I'm now into Hard House, which I had never heard when I was living in Oz. I had only heard 1/4 of the music that they play over here when I was living in Oz (any type of music that is) and I know that they definitely don't play much of it, even now, back in Oz. At least I can log into BBC1 or KISSFM when I get back to Oz.
Also going to miss going to the great nightclubs and DJ's in London, as the atmosphere is just fantastic. Never had that in Oz.

2. The culture. Went up to London last night for a friend's 30th birthday. Wandered through Leicester Square and Picadilly Circus when we left, got on the tube back to Waterloo to get the train home at and it went through my mind that I'm really going to miss all of this too. Have been up to Melbourne town tons of times in the past and it definitely didn't have the same vibe as what I felt last night.

3.Girls nights out. Even though I had lots of girlfriends in Oz, it's going to be strange not having my girlfriends around to hold my hair when I need it (girlie thing), go to the loo with me when I need it, dance around the handbags on the dance floor, drink shots like there's no tomorrow, stagger back to my place and do girlie chat till 4am in the morning.

4. Get up and go for a run when there's snow and ice on the ground, not knowing if you're going to get back in one piece. Hoping that you're wearing enough to keep you warm and also knowing that you can run a nice warm back when you get back.

Now please don't get me wrong, I'm so looking forward to going back home to Oz but there are still things that I'm going to miss about the UK.

Regards
Old Jul 12th 2003, 3:44 pm
Badge

Default Re: Are you going to miss the UK at all??

great post JayJay.

I will miss the UK from a sentimental "I spent the first 28 years of my life there" viewpoint - a veritable kaleodoscope of memories. But you can always take memories with you. There is nothing specific at all I will miss - nothing at all!! I really can't think of one thing. Everything I need/want in the UK I can get in Australia.

Have to admit the nightclub/DJ/music scene I won't miss one bit and the Leiceister Sq/Covent Garden thing I am pleased to do without. It just smacks of tourism and congestion and expensive taxi fares home. As alot of my peers like doing this I find it a real bind. I keep finding excuses not to go out these days(!)

badgers

Old Jul 12th 2003, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

thebrowns is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry What are we going to miss

I guess it wont be the M25.

Tried to go from NW london to SE london to end up in Brightling in east Sussex.

Somebody closed the m25 so all roads in the vicinity of m25 are grid locked:scared:

we had a 6 yr old and an 18 hand horse O and the wife on a big lorry with NO AIR CON. We spent four hours trying to get to east sussex. on a normal dy its about 1 half hours.

I agree Badger the west end Ugh! I work in London all week what a mess. How about ken crazy livingstone and the charging for every body going into London.
Old Jul 12th 2003, 5:03 pm
up the boro!

denhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant future
Default Re: What are we going to miss

it seems everyone on this site is from the south east!!!
i`ll definetly miss the club scene here, but the clubs in perth wernt that bad. melbourne and sydney rock for sure, but i just cannot see myself living there............who knows tho, after 6 months in perth i might be bored out of my little brain.
Old Jul 12th 2003, 5:09 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

I won't miss London one iota...

However...i have built up a realy affinity with the english countryside and there is tons about its that i will miss dearly. I will list a few of them below, but rest assured that there are others i will miss.

- Lanes....proper english counrty lanes
- Wales, in general, but specifically Snowdonia in winter
- chalkstreams and rivers like the thames (nr its source) and Severn (again nr source)
- small villages with churches in the middle
- fields with hedgerows
- long summer evenings in a beer garden
- more long summer evenings in beer gardens
- the countryside surrounding my home that kept me entertained for hours on end as a kid (sentimental, but still true)
- the peak district
- the ashdown forest
- may sound bizarre, but those realyl cold crisp winter days with a nice hoar frost
- conkers (sad again, but will miss not being able to play it with kids, if we have any)

Cheers

Pete
Old Jul 12th 2003, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

thebrowns is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Missing Blighty

Yea ashdown forest but can you get there at the weekend? Never managed that far as we had to turn back! Traffic was so bad!

the lanes most def.
but not in a huge horsebox, via the diversion from dear old Bill via Mugsworth??
(wont miss them, with there speed traps on all them lanes.)
and the oh we are so busy at the moment will get sombody to you in 6 hours thats after a GBH on yourself with witness etc easy case I would have thought?

The Thames wow what an infested place hyperderm`s, sanitry ware and many many other things inc. dead bodies. Uuk.

Long summer eve Yes i think that I am going to wish for, crazy daylight hours in Oz.

Keep it going love to know what else I am going to miss .........
Old Jul 12th 2003, 5:48 pm
Badge

- may sound bizarre, but those realyl cold crisp winter days with "a nice hoar frost"

sounds great!!

well Pete - i loved the cold crispy - and sunny! days in New South Wales!!! Not much frost - or less of - though of course.

i dont mind the cold - its the grey and drizzle i'll never miss.

i suppose long summer evenings will be the price we will pay for this as summer days in Australia are a good 2 hours shorter.

badgers

Old Jul 12th 2003, 7:14 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: Missing Blighty

Originally posted by thebrowns
Yea ashdown forest but can you get there at the weekend? Never managed that far as we had to turn back! Traffic was so bad!

the lanes most def.
but not in a huge horsebox, via the diversion from dear old Bill via Mugsworth??
(wont miss them, with there speed traps on all them lanes.)
and the oh we are so busy at the moment will get sombody to you in 6 hours thats after a GBH on yourself with witness etc easy case I would have thought?

The Thames wow what an infested place hyperderm`s, sanitry ware and many many other things inc. dead bodies. Uuk.

Long summer eve Yes i think that I am going to wish for, crazy daylight hours in Oz.

Keep it going love to know what else I am going to miss .........
There is nothing wrong with the Thames further upstream, and in any case...downstream?....look it up and i think you will find it cleaner than many other capital city rivers. Rivers in oz are polluted too you know....don't believe me? Have a search on the web...focus your searches on the rivers of tazzie......or the yarra for that matter.

And the police? I reckon you might be in for a shock if you think they are in any way less lenient on speeding over there. The cars over there are in essance movable speed traps; yes they have the radar gun atcully fitted to the car. They can work out your speed whether they are stationary, travelling the other way to you, or any other permutation you wish.

And are you seriously trying to tell me you won't miss it getting dark at 10 in the summer? (forget about winter....were talking things we will miss).
Old Jul 12th 2003, 7:16 pm
A Male Member

Originally posted by badgersmount
well Pete - i loved the cold crispy - and sunny! days in New South Wales!!! Not much frost - or less of - though of course.
I like the way its crisp in the early am...then warms up to 20 odd degrees

Winter over theres great...cool nights and warm (ish) days.

Depends where you are tho....
Old Jul 12th 2003, 7:32 pm
Badge

where you're going it will be warm (some variant of) all year round in the day....

Old Jul 12th 2003, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

Billsrod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are you going to miss the UK at all??

Originally posted by Jaykay
I've been living in the UK for the last 10 years, and last night really brought home to me that I am definitely going to miss lots of things about the UK that I've come to know and love.

1. The music. I absolutely love the music that they have here in the UK. I'm now into Hard House, which I had never heard when I was living in Oz. I had only heard 1/4 of the music that they play over here when I was living in Oz (any type of music that is) and I know that they definitely don't play much of it, even now, back in Oz. At least I can log into BBC1 or KISSFM when I get back to Oz.
Also going to miss going to the great nightclubs and DJ's in London, as the atmosphere is just fantastic. Never had that in Oz.

2. The culture. Went up to London last night for a friend's 30th birthday. Wandered through Leicester Square and Picadilly Circus when we left, got on the tube back to Waterloo to get the train home at and it went through my mind that I'm really going to miss all of this too. Have been up to Melbourne town tons of times in the past and it definitely didn't have the same vibe as what I felt last night.

3.Girls nights out. Even though I had lots of girlfriends in Oz, it's going to be strange not having my girlfriends around to hold my hair when I need it (girlie thing), go to the loo with me when I need it, dance around the handbags on the dance floor, drink shots like there's no tomorrow, stagger back to my place and do girlie chat till 4am in the morning.

4. Get up and go for a run when there's snow and ice on the ground, not knowing if you're going to get back in one piece. Hoping that you're wearing enough to keep you warm and also knowing that you can run a nice warm back when you get back.

Now please don't get me wrong, I'm so looking forward to going back home to Oz but there are still things that I'm going to miss about the UK.

Regards
Well from another angle there always the poor health service here, education (schools all full) overcrowded uk, work to live, high house prices, goverment sh*gged, high immigration, overcrowded roads, high crime, terror target, food going gm modified, etc etc..... still miss the UK?
Old Jul 12th 2003, 10:17 pm
A Male Member

The UKs a great country !!

The NHS is actually VERY good. Have you ever experience another countries health service?

Schools...i would'nt know (no kids) but i doubt the standards of education vary significantly between the two countries

High house prices....aus houses are cheaper yes...dependent on location...but you will find they are only really any cheaper while you are earning pounds.

High immigration....immigration rate in UK is about 1.1, in oz its 2.6 ...

Crime rates....again very similar. To be honest they probably favor the UK.

Terror target....Bali bombing?

GM food....avaiable at all major supermarkets in oz as they are here.

I'm not trying to pick on anyone....sorry if it seems that way, or if i am coming accross as a PB...but the UK is a great country. One that we should be proud of. Theres loads about it I personally will miss....and i would'nt mind betting that after a year or two in oz/nz you will all miss them too...

Cheers

Pete.
Old Jul 12th 2003, 10:24 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I admit this is very sad, but .... I'm going to miss the snow! I know we don't get much down in Sussex, not like when I was a kid in Wiltshire, but I spent last winter praying for FEET of the stuff, knowing I may not get to experience it again! Not a lot of it in Brissie!
And I'll miss sliding on the ice on the way to work, wrapping up in several jumpers, watching my breath in the cold air, being able to wear those matching hat/glove/scarf sets that Aunties send for Christmas...... mind you, with some of my relatives, I shall probably still get sent the same sets when i'm in Queensland!!!
Old Jul 12th 2003, 10:27 pm
A Male Member

Originally posted by Pollyana
OK, I admit this is very sad, but .... I'm going to miss the snow! I know we don't get much down in Sussex, not like when I was a kid in Wiltshire, but I spent last winter praying for FEET of the stuff, knowing I may not get to experience it again! Not a lot of it in Brissie!
And I'll miss sliding on the ice on the way to work, wrapping up in several jumpers, watching my breath in the cold air, being able to wear those matching hat/glove/scarf sets that Aunties send for Christmas...... mind you, with some of my relatives, I shall probably still get sent the same sets when i'm in Queensland!!!
Yup...thats another one I love waking up in the am, going down for brekkie and looking out the kitchen window at a white garden!

The crunch while im walking to the station is wonderful too.

Cheers
Old Jul 12th 2003, 10:46 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

My fiance is Queensland born and bred, and although he has experienced cold temperatures (he comes from near Kingaroy), he has never seen snow except on TV/in films.
Little does he suspect that I shall be bringing him to the UK in the winter in a couple of years time in a search for snow& the good old British winter! Just hope it won't be grounds for divorce!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.