Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

You get to Oz,then buy a house...

You get to Oz,then buy a house...

Old Nov 12th 2006, 7:56 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: You get to Oz,then buy a house...

Originally Posted by thebears
A house doesn't make a home - people do.
Yeah, but it helps if you've got enough room to put said people in.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Our rental is much, much bigger and takes way longer to clean

We are buying though and the new house is bigger, views of the ocean and a mortgage identical to the UK one. So much for having a smaller mortgage, we should have been here 18 months ago or more for that !
Old Nov 12th 2006, 12:07 pm
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brido
I agree with the cheaper rentals,i think we'll go down that route when we get over.I'd rather keep my cash towards a deposit on our own place,whenever that may be.
Sounds good in principle, but see what you think when you've had a look at some of the cheaper rentals – there's some real shockers out there. Do you really want to come all this way to live in a dive? Of course not all cheap rentals are dives – only most of them.

Also, the amount of money you save may be small compared to the price of a property e.g. say in Sydney you pay $300 a week rather than $400. That's $5,000 more at the end of a year than you would have had if you'd gone with the more expensive option. With a typical house price of, say, 500,000, that's given you an extra 1% on the purchase price (or increased your deposit by maybe 10%?).

And, from personal experience, actually putting the money you're "saving" aside and not spending it is pretty difficult – there are always things that you need to buy.

Just some thoughts.

Big.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

tofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by brido
Ive been flicking through a realestate website and it led me to wonder.
The new migrants dream is to own bigger and better house than they did in the UK.Im hoping for the same,as much as i love my home.

To all expat homeowners,How does your Oz home compare to what you had in the UK?
That's a great question, I have wondered that also. Looking at the real estate websites, you can get a beautiful 4 bed detached, lounge + family, dining + meals, rumpus, double garage etc etc, for between £300k and 450k (Oz Dollars - at 2.4 conversion it equates to £125k-£187.5k GBP) Find that in the UK!!. These are also "nice" areas (outside Melbourne and Adelaide - if you like those areas of course). Also, the rooms all seem to be so much bigger than UK houses, newer ones anyway. Our 4th bedroom is about 1.8m x 2.00m !!
Old Nov 12th 2006, 1:58 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

bigger but with 3 times the mortgage.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by hoots nan
Poole, Dorset, Uk = 2 bedroom bungalow and mortgage

Albany Creek, Brisbane, Oz = 4 bedroom lowset, with swimming pool no mortgage

Are we living our dream - oh yeah

Ooooh another one left from sunny Poole

We had a 3bed end of terraced with postage stamp of back garden and a mortgage we couldnt afford!

Renting now a 4bed two storey house with Ocean and estuary views
Debt free and money in our pockets for a very nice change.

Yea life is grand
Old Nov 12th 2006, 3:10 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tofster
That's a great question, I have wondered that also. Looking at the real estate websites, you can get a beautiful 4 bed detached, lounge + family, dining + meals, rumpus, double garage etc etc, for between £300k and 450k (Oz Dollars - at 2.4 conversion it equates to £125k-£187.5k GBP) Find that in the UK!!.
Thats all well and good but the wages dont seem to be as good in Aus,swings and round-abouts me thinks
Old Nov 12th 2006, 3:36 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Reason we are in a small(ish) house is because we didn't want to buy for at least six months to a year and didn't want to waste too much of our equity on rent.

wendy does the interest from equity cover rental in oz,

Last edited by aston man; Nov 12th 2006 at 3:45 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 3:46 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ohippy
Our rental is much, much bigger and takes way longer to clean

We are buying though and the new house is bigger, views of the ocean and a mortgage identical to the UK one. So much for having a smaller mortgage, we should have been here 18 months ago or more for that !
Our house is slightly bigger and land than UK but saying that so is our mortgage but our UK house was a revite where this house needs very little doing to it depending on what mood I'm in.

Went for an older house, as new estate just not my scene. We could have been mortgage free if we had moved further out but needed to be near Brisbane.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

tofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
Thats all well and good but the wages dont seem to be as good in Aus,swings and round-abouts me thinks
Yep, having looked into that also, I think you are right. Forgive me for stating "the bleedin' obvious" (copyright B. Fawlty 1975), but it appears that the property values are hugely in our favour. Obviously everyone's circumstances are different but it seems to be a big "leg-up", house wise, if you aren't completely daft! A lot of people seem to be selling up in UK, paying off mortgage and then some, outright purchase in Oz, with cash to spare.
If you are in this position, do you need to earn mega-bucks?. The "IF" word is key here of course !
Old Nov 12th 2006, 4:04 pm

Yep, having looked into that also, I think you are right. Forgive me for stating "the bleedin' obvious" (copyright B. Fawlty 1975), but it appears that the property values are hugely in our favour. Obviously everyone's circumstances are different but it seems to be a big "leg-up", house wise, if you aren't completely daft! A lot of people seem to be selling up in UK, paying off mortgage and then some, outright purchase in Oz, with cash to spare.
If you are in this position, do you need to earn mega-bucks?. The "IF" word is key here of course !
Depends which end of UK you came from and if you made a mega house profit. We made a comfortable but small by Southern terms sum but then by the time you relocate and buy cars etc. it soon dwindles fast.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 4:06 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: You get to Oz,then buy a house...

Originally Posted by aston man
wendy does the interest from equity cover rental in oz,
Not Wendy, obviously LOL but that rather depends on how much savings you have.

You could do the sums - renting costs about $350 - $500 a week it seems and savings rates seem to be about 6% in Oz before tax.

Say $400 a week X 52 weeks = $20800 needed per year for rent.

$350,000 invested at 6% gross would give $21,000, so thats how much you would need but you need to take tax on the investment into consideration and obviously everybody's tax affairs are different.

I reckon invest $5 - 600,000 to take that into account.

HTH

Buzzy
Old Nov 12th 2006, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by annqldau
Depends which end of UK you came from and if you made a mega house profit. We made a comfortable but small by Southern terms sum but then by the time you relocate and buy cars etc. it soon dwindles fast.
Yes, appreciate that also.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 4:50 pm

Yes, appreciate that also.
Have come across a lot from the South who made huge profits plus with house prices going up here unless you move out of town still quite high by comparison in the inner city areas to less developed areas.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 5:44 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Not Wendy, obviously LOL but that rather depends on how much savings you have.

You could do the sums - renting costs about $350 - $500 a week it seems and savings rates seem to be about 6% in Oz before tax.

Say $400 a week X 52 weeks = $20800 needed per year for rent.

$350,000 invested at 6% gross would give $21,000, so thats how much you would need but you need to take tax on the investment into consideration and obviously everybody's tax affairs are different.

I reckon invest $5 - 600,000 to take that into account.

HTHBuzzy
i dont know if im being a thick head here.please tel me if i am..

if you have 200k here and you get 6%
that pays you over 600 quid min a month after tax.(easily covering 1600bucks)

so if you leave your money in the bank here can you not pay your landlord direct from an english account..

help please ,aston

Buzzy[/QUOTE]

Last edited by aston man; Nov 12th 2006 at 5:48 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.