Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which is you favourite/worst airline

Which is you favourite/worst airline

Old Oct 10th 2004, 8:37 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which is you favourite/worst airline

Seeing as we will all be jetting off (fairly) soon, thought I would ask which is you favourite airline or flight and why.
Alternatively the worst flight or airline you have had.
My favourite airline is Air India - simply because it was like flying inside an Indian takeaway - even the outside was tarted up like one.
The worst was Icelandair - I'm sure they gave me Puffin for my dinner!
But the worst food has to be served by BA - what are you supposed to do with their bread rolls?
Cas

Last edited by carolinegorka; Oct 10th 2004 at 8:46 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2004, 9:01 pm
99.99999% there !

EssexNobby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Which is you favourite/worst airline

Worst so far has got to be PIA Pakistan International Airways which I flew from Heathrow to Dubai in 1989 - well they were cheap at the time !

The air stewardesses didn't do anything, you had to get up yourself and get a drink from the kitchen area. They had no cups so everyone had to drink out of the same bottles (yuck). The toilet that I used halfway through the flight had vomit in the sink and someone hadn't emptied it (why couldn't they have been sick down the bog ?) - the stench was horrendous. There were loads of kids running uncontrolled screaming and shouting up and down the aisles for the entire 7 hour flight.

Best so far has been Emirates, but we're flying with Singapore Airlines on Saturday so hopefully will have a good experienece there too !
Old Oct 10th 2004, 9:03 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by EssexNobby
Worst so far has got to be PIA Pakistan International Airways which I flew from Heathrow to Dubai in 1989 - well they were cheap at the time !

The air stewardesses didn't do anything, you had to get up yourself and get a drink from the kitchen area. They had no cups so everyone had to drink out of the same bottles (yuck). The toilet that I used halfway through the flight had vomit in the sink and someone hadn't emptied it (why couldn't they have been sick down the bog ?) - the stench was horrendous. There were loads of kids running uncontrolled screaming and shouting up and down the aisles for the entire 7 hour flight.

Best so far has been Emirates, but we're flying with Singapore Airlines on Saturday so hopefully will have a good experienece there too !
Good luck to you!
where you going to?
Cas
Old Oct 10th 2004, 9:05 pm
99.99999% there !

Off to the Gold Coast for two weeks - fantastic !
Old Oct 10th 2004, 9:08 pm
99.99999% there !

What about Quantas ? - has anyone flown with them ?

I've heard some not so good reports...
Old Oct 10th 2004, 9:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

JAL is very good, but not cheap.
Virgin does really good food, and not bad prices.
BA to the states does awesome food, and can't beat the business class flights, eco sucks though.
Alitalia are very good too, nice food...but don't know now what with the financial troubles they have been having.

Might want to look at:
http://www.airline-safety-records.com/

http://www.airlinequality.com/

Here's another site, not great, but good info:
http://home.netcom.com/~rcowen/comparisons.htm
Old Oct 10th 2004, 9:15 pm
sula

Singapore Airlines is my favourite: good food and inflight entertainment, very child friendly! Bit more expensive than the others but you pay for what you get!

Can't comment on worse airline, luckily never had a negative experience, hope it stays that way!

Sula

Old Oct 10th 2004, 9:16 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
JAL is very good, but not cheap.
Virgin does really good food, and not bad prices.
BA to the states does awesome food, and can't beat the business class flights, eco sucks though.
Alitalia are very good too, nice food...but don't know now what with the financial troubles they have been having.

Might want to look at:
http://www.airline-safety-records.com/

http://www.airlinequality.com/

Here's another site, not great, but good info:
http://home.netcom.com/~rcowen/comparisons.htm
And Italian pilots think they are driving a Ferrari :scared: Well one who flew my to Pisa did anyway - talk about hairpin-bend turns on the runway!
Old Oct 10th 2004, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

thfc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
And Italian pilots think they are driving a Ferrari :scared: Well one who flew my to Pisa did anyway - talk about hairpin-bend turns on the runway!
First time we came here flew with Gulf Air absolutley brillant and cheap,this time we flew with Sinapore airlines and didnt rate them at all and there alot more expensive.
Old Oct 10th 2004, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EssexNobby
What about Quantas ? - has anyone flown with them ?

I've heard some not so good reports...
Quantas are very average. Nothing wrong with them, just nothing really special. We've flown with them (to Oz) 3 times now and they've been consistently 'ok', but thats about it.

Best airline (way way above the rest), Emirates. Superb.

Another good airline : Singapore Airlines (but not as good as Emirates).

Worst airline ever : Air Garuda (to Bali). Avoid at all costs.

Mosty Inconsistent airline : BA, some good - some very average - (but never really bad)

Another reasonable airline : Thai Airways - slightly above average

Incidentally - wherabouts are you from Essexnobby? We are based in Rochford, Essex. And where are you headed to? We are off to Brisbane.

John & Netta
Old Oct 10th 2004, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

speckles is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Which is you favourite/worst airline

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
which is your favourite airline or flight and why.
Alternatively the worst flight or airline you have had.

Cas

Best - Singapore Airlines
Worst - Air Gabon but if you fly anywhere they go to you deserve all you get. More cockroaches than passengers. Lovely.
Old Oct 10th 2004, 10:01 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Best - Cathay Pacific - truly superb; couldn't fault them; Also would recommend Lauda/Austrian - excellent service and food/drink on both. AUstrian serve the best coffee in history!

Worst - don't get me started on Emirates.....

OK - Qantas - 9 out of 10 flights have been good, also Malaysian were OK.
Old Oct 10th 2004, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Best - Cathay Pacific - truly superb; couldn't fault them; Also would recommend Lauda/Austrian - excellent service and food/drink on both. AUstrian serve the best coffee in history!

Was wondering when Cathay Pacific would get a mention...ive never flown before so ill let you know after 28th December

Claire
Old Oct 10th 2004, 10:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Just really hard to ever find a destination with them, weren't cheap, always been cheaper flying to Munich and then driving into Austria, Salzberg and Vienna, major pains for airports...

Gulf air ain't bad, were a few years ago though.
Old Oct 10th 2004, 10:09 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

I've never had any really bad flights, even on cheap package deals to the Med. Qantas were quite good going out to Aus, as were BA to South Africa. I also had a surprisingly good flight with Egyptair to Kenya. OK, so I missed my connection and got stuck in Cairo for three days (wasn't their fault), but this sort of thing doesn't phase me.......had an excuse to visit the pyramids!

Just remembered that KLM are the only airline to date to not only lose my luggage, but mix up my passport with a French woman (OK, I know I've got long hair) just because we were both in a hurry to catch a connecting flight to Schiphol!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.