Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are you English or British ?

Are you English or British ?

Old Aug 3rd 2005, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

FXtrader is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Are you English or British ?

Yes yes I know many of you like me are now Aussie, but here's a thought anyway.

Before I came to Aus, I really only thought of myself as 'British', and did not really give much thought to my English background. Sure Scotland was up there and Wales & N Ireland to the left a bit, but I always just thought 'British'. My passport and drivers license said British or UK on it, and looking back to my school days I can remember little said by my teachers or school mates to distinguish either - confirming this perception.

Only since I've been here in Aus, have I been reminded that I'm English by Aussies who seem more likely to see the UK broken down into it's constituent parts.
Also since I've been here, and this is just my impression of course, but those people originally from South Eastern England (London) seem generally the only ones who see themselves as "British'.

Those people from the west and north are more likely to see themselves as English - in my opinion.
I've thought about this and, the only conclusion I can come to is that maybe if by living or being brought up in the SE of the the UK, especially London, then being close to capital and all that goes with that generates more of a sense of one nation.

Now in Aus, and Australian, when looking back or asked where I'm originally from, I'm definately English, as to say Britain is likely to draw the remark...."You mean England mate"
Has anyone else felt this, or have a different explanation....or is this just my enquiring mind...?
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 11:43 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you English or British ?

Originally Posted by FXtrader

Before I came to Aus, I really only thought of myself as 'British', and did not really give much thought to my English background. Sure Scotland was up there and Wales & N Ireland to the left a bit, but I always just thought 'British'. My passport and drivers license said British or UK on it, and looking back to my school days I can remember little said by my teachers or school mates to distinguish either - confirming this perception.

Only since I've been here in Aus, have I been reminded that I'm English by Aussies who seem more likely to see the UK broken down into it's constituent parts.
Also since I've been here, and this is just my impression of course, but those people originally from South Eastern England (London) seem generally the only ones who see themselves as "British'.

Those people from the west and north are more likely to see themselves as English - in my opinion.
I've thought about this and, the only conclusion I can come to is that maybe if by living or being brought up in the SE of the the UK, especially London, then being close to capital and all that goes with that generates more of a sense of one nation.

Now in Aus, and Australian, when looking back or asked where I'm originally from, I'm definately English, as to say Britain is likely to draw the remark...."You mean England mate"
Has anyone else felt this, or have a different explanation....or is this just my enquiring mind...?
They on ly say "you mean english" so as to provoke a response. "just like you" you should say, after all our queen is o their money, so therefore british/english. That should do!

alk
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 11:49 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

[
You've forgotten a large part of the Northern Irish population very definitely sees itself as British.

I'd think most pro-Union people from Scotland and Wales would also see themselves primarily as 'British'.

As do many of those who are naturalised British, or children of naturalised British citizens.

Jeremy
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud of

I see myself as both, which technically speaking is correct!! Just as someone from Scotland is scottish AND British.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 11:55 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

I see myself as being English.

I always write English as my nationality on job application forms etc.

TT
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Wink Re: Are you English or British ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since moving to Australia , I have come to realise that EVERYONE on this side of the planet call BRITAIN ENGLAND.They don't make the distinction at all between Scotland , Nothern Ireland and Wales , to them it's all just ENGLAND !!!! Despite having a Scottish accent I am constantly asked where in England I come from ????To which I ask , "Where in Tasmainia do you come from ? "
It's not just the general public but indeed within the education system.When my 6 year old daughter started school , she had to do the "my name is .......and I come from Scotland, Great Britain" thing in front of the class. Her teacher "corrected her" in front if the whole class , telling her that she infact came from SCOTLAND in ENGLAND.
I was going to ignore it but my daughter then started to question it all , so I went down to speak to her teacher who informed me that she had lived in England for a year and knows fine that Scotland IS part of ENGLAND !!! Still confused !!
You get to a point where there is no point constantly banging your head on the wall , if they want to be pedantic about it , then so what. We all know where we were born.
I just want to add that ,in light of all the terrorist attacks, I have never felt more BRITISH than I do now.
BUT There's a big difference between a SCOT being called ENGLISH and BRITISH!

Last edited by Tass; Aug 4th 2005 at 12:02 am.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:00 am
Banned

alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flutterscutter
I see myself as both, which technically speaking is correct!! Just as someone from Scotland is scottish AND British.
We are english,british,u.k, g.b.all the same to most of us.

Ared there any truly English people out there. Im sure most of us are watered down in one respect or another as we have been invaded so many times.

I consider myself to be british, but im from england, even though my heritage is listed below.

alk
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:15 am
Just Joined

Living in Brisbane, I feel Australian, but when I visit other parts of Queensland, suddenly I find many people seem to be from 'Queensland', not Australia.
I should have added that......
As for Scotland being in England ....that's unbelievable....
Good point by JAJ, yes people from other parts of the UK and naturalised probably would have a stronger sense of 'Britishness'....
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:24 am
Just Joined

When I'm out and about, perhaps I should say I'm from London, which is a suburb of Brisbane in Queensland which is nowhere near Sydney.....
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:25 am
Banned

Living in Brisbane, I feel Australian, but when I visit other parts of Queensland, suddenly I find many people seem to be from 'Queensland', not Australia.
I should have added that......
As for Scotland being in England ....that's unbelievable....
Good point by JAJ, yes people from other parts of the UK and naturalised probably would have a stronger sense of 'Britishness'....
I think its just all territorial at the end of the day. People from vic call queenslanders mad, and vice versa, as the scots call the english, english call irish etc etc. Its just a sense of barracking that will always be in place and all for a bit of fun.

alk
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:38 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
You've forgotten a large part of the Northern Irish population very definitely sees itself as British.

I'd think most pro-Union people from Scotland and Wales would also see themselves primarily as 'British'.

Jeremy
Regarding Northern Ireland, thats more of a 'we are not Irish' thing.
So Northern Irish say they're British.

I don't know many Scots who would put 'British' tops of their nationality. They would be Scots first, British second.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A dogs life
Regarding Northern Ireland, thats more of a 'we are not Irish' thing.
So Northern Irish say they're British.
Northern Irish people *are* British citizens under the law of the United Kingdom.

Jeremy
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:47 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

I always thought the English were Germans

A
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:53 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Northern Irish people *are* British citizens under the law of the United Kingdom.

Jeremy

Yes precise as ever Jeremy

My point was Scots would say they are Scottish, Welsh would say they are Welsh, Northern Irish would say they are British
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:54 am
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of

I'm reminded that Harold Wilson (Labour Prime Minister, 1964 - 1970) once described himself as "a Yorkshireman first, an Englishman second". And when asked by Australians "Where are you from?", many of us Tykes will answer "Yorkshire", rather than "England" or "Britain". Yet other in-comers will rarely respond with the name of their county - I wonder why that is?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.