Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are you English or British ?

Are you English or British ?

Old Aug 4th 2005, 11:07 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you English or British ?

Originally Posted by mary1
My experience is completely opposite.

My accent is Scottish.I've rarely been asked which part of England I'm from and if I have been called English (or any other nationality) it's been followed by apologies.
And so they should But thats my point entirely! I have never been asked which part of Scotland i come from, its always England, NEVER Britain. I have a client who is Welsh and shes sick to the back teeth of being asked where abouts in England that is! (AND please don't get Mrs Bordy even started :scared: )
Old Aug 5th 2005, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

Kangablue is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mary1
My experience is completely opposite.

My accent is Scottish.I've rarely been asked which part of England I'm from and if I have been called English (or any other nationality) it's been followed by apologies.

I'm always amazed by the amount of Aussies who ask specifically which part of Scotland I am from and have actually been to Scotland and tell me stories about their travels there and their Scottish ancestors.

(I've met few (especially southern) English people who would be able to pinpoint anywhere in Scotland on a map or know anything about the country or who have been there).
I agree. Most Aussies can tell from my accent I am Scottish and I am often asked what part I am from. They just can't get there head aroung what the UK and British is and in fairness, neither do many of us!

Personally, I've always felt more Glaswegian than anything else because of the language and culture is very distinct. When I lived in London, most people identified me as Glawegian followed by by the usual "What team do you support?".
Old Aug 5th 2005, 12:45 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
The purple passports are the ones issued now, the black ones are slowly being phased out

D D
I think they have all but gone - dead. When I was issued a "new" burgundy ( or purple if you want to call it that) passport in early 1992, or it may have been late 1991 ( it over 13 years ago anyway) - I was issued the 'orrible Burgundy one. So I think it was around the early 90's they started issuing the "new" burgundy ones. A passport is usually for ten years , so the old blue ones should be all but gone by now

cheers
And bring back something similar to the old Blue one's ( they were dark blue) . They were much more well made - stayed tidy unlike these cheap burgundy ones.

Last edited by Ceri; Aug 5th 2005 at 1:00 am.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

floweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to behold

Personally, I've always felt more Glaswegian than anything else because of the language and culture is very distinct. When I lived in London, most people identified me as Glawegian followed by by the usual "What team do you support?".[/QUOTE]

I agree although when I meet other Scottish here I usually don't even get asked "what part of scotland am I from" they just go straight to it " so what team do you support?" I came here to get away from that crap. I'm very proud to be Scottish but I will be just as proud to be Australian
Old Aug 5th 2005, 1:47 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

When people ask me where I'm from I say Sussex.

If I'm abroad, somewhere like Singapore and a shopkeeper or hotel receptionist asks I say Australia.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 1:50 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I too object to having a European Union passport. .
So do I , I object to them all with the words Great Britain, or UK - but the european one I object to more lol.
look at the languages in your passport ( first pages I think). Where are the other offical languages of the uk?? Why do I have "googly gook" non official British languages in my passport???

Oh well at least my driving licence is in Welsh first . And "they" are never getting it and giving me a rubbish ID picture one . Do the new Brit driving licences have an option on them for welsh first and English second like the old ones? It is one of the official languages of the UK after all.

I object to these rubbish passports! lol

And why can't the Queen get her own?

under the other table leg it goes along with my aussie one