Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are you/Did you have a leaving party???

Are you/Did you have a leaving party???

Old Sep 9th 2004, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

honeybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant future
Default Are you/Did you have a leaving party???

our friends, whom are leaving in january, don't want to have a leaving party, they think it will be too difficult to say goodbye to all of their friends and family... and i respect their decision, don't get me wrong...

we are thinking about having one, and i'm just asking for anyone else's view, was it too difficult, was it more than you expected, did it help you in anyway, or did it make things worse?

honeybob
Old Sep 9th 2004, 9:24 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you/Did you have a leaving party???

Hi Honeybob.

Haven't seen you on here for a while.

Hubby doesn't want a "do" but I am putting my foot down on this one. It will be hard, there will be lots of tears, but I think it is all part of it. Otherwise you just go round everyone, and probably miss someone and have loads of goodbyes. With a party, there is drink and as well as tears, hopefully a hell of a lot of laughter. What better way to remember people.
Old Sep 9th 2004, 9:32 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Hi Honeybob.

Haven't seen you on here for a while.

Hubby doesn't want a "do" but I am putting my foot down on this one. It will be hard, there will be lots of tears, but I think it is all part of it. Otherwise you just go round everyone, and probably miss someone and have loads of goodbyes. With a party, there is drink and as well as tears, hopefully a hell of a lot of laughter. What better way to remember people.
I think it's going be hard either way - but I know I am having a leaving do - for exactly the reasons that stated above - have to say that I'm dreading it as much as looking forward to it.
Cas
Old Sep 9th 2004, 9:37 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by honeybob
our friends, whom are leaving in january, don't want to have a leaving party, they think it will be too difficult to say goodbye to all of their friends and family... and i respect their decision, don't get me wrong...

we are thinking about having one, and i'm just asking for anyone else's view, was it too difficult, was it more than you expected, did it help you in anyway, or did it make things worse?

honeybob
even if u dont want to have a party, your family and friends will want to say goodbye !!!!
that means u will be in tears everytime u sy bye to someone. if you have a party u can get it over and done with in one night
good luck

soapy
Old Sep 9th 2004, 9:41 pm
Living our dream!!

fozzie is just really nicefozzie is just really nicefozzie is just really nicefozzie is just really nicefozzie is just really nicefozzie is just really nicefozzie is just really nicefozzie is just really nicefozzie is just really nice

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
I think it's going be hard either way - but I know I am having a leaving do - for exactly the reasons that stated above - have to say that I'm dreading it as much as looking forward to it.
Cas
I'm not sure what to do either as we had originally said definatley now I'm not sure if I could deal with it.

If we ever get the visa that is Sorry on a bit of a downer today it feels like we will never get there and that there is so much to do on the house to get it on the market Sorry boring you now.

Michelle
Old Sep 9th 2004, 9:44 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fozzie
I'm not sure what to do either as we had originally said definatley now I'm not sure if I could deal with it.

If we ever get the visa that is Sorry on a bit of a downer today it feels like we will never get there and that there is so much to do on the house to get it on the market Sorry boring you now.

Michelle
make a list for every room and do it one room at a time, before u know it, the house will be ready.

now, chin up
Old Sep 9th 2004, 9:46 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

We had a party and it was superb....yes there were loads of tears, and the odd thing was they were from the people you least expected to break down!!!!!but what a bloody laugh we had too!!!!!
Just have it a good few weeks before you go, OK it will be the last time that u may see some of the people, but family and close friends u will be seeing you go.
Made us feel so special, knowing that over 150 people bothered to turn up....and it was all for us....maybe they just wanted to make sure we were actually going lol

Go for it.......get it all over with in one night, otherwise you will never get a chance to say goodbye to everybody....the time flys by when you are getting ready to go

Good Luck
Heather
xx
Old Sep 9th 2004, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Along a similar theme, for those of yoiu having (or have had) a leaving do, when did you do it? The night before, the week before, when?

Dave
Old Sep 9th 2004, 9:49 pm
Master of verbal pish©

good point biggy, i forgot the time factor.

on the run in to Oz u have so many things to do, having people popping in for a visit 3 times a day is so much hassle.
have the party and be done with it lol
Old Sep 9th 2004, 9:50 pm
Master of verbal pish©

Originally Posted by darkless
Along a similar theme, for those of yoiu having (or have had) a leaving do, when did you do it? The night before, the week before, when?

Dave
a week. make it as late as possible or you will have them all visiting to say bye again lol
Old Sep 9th 2004, 9:55 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Dave
I was wondering that - as we are likely to be leaving Jan/Feb it will clash with Christmas/New year - people may forget what they are partying for !
Wouldn't do it the night before though - hangover, jetlag, excitement, panic (wheres' the passports!) tears - you'll be calling me to nurse you!
Cas RMN
Old Sep 9th 2004, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
I was wondering that - as we are likely to be leaving Jan/Feb it will clash with Christmas/New year - people may forget what they are partying for !
Wouldn't do it the night before though - hangover, jetlag, excitement, panic (wheres' the passports!) tears - you'll be calling me to nurse you!
Cas RMN

Ditto - we leave on 15th January. I leave my house in Essex on the 12th to move back to my Mums for a few days, so the logistics of a party are not simple.

Have it in Essex before I move on the 12th, but then friends from the Midlands will have to travel down - and vice versa!!

I have the added problem that my father passed away last christmas and his funeral was early Jan, therefore I will not feel like a celebratory party during this period, especially as my Mum will be feeling very vunerable.

Not feeling sorry for myself, just trying to sort out the myriad of problems which each and everyone of us face!!

Dave
Old Sep 9th 2004, 10:22 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by honeybob

honeybob

We have great memories of our leaving do be they very drunken ones. I'm glad we had one. There was a few tears but only to be expected. Everyone helped out preparing the food for the night and it was a night to remember for all.

Jo
Old Sep 9th 2004, 10:24 pm
Master of verbal pish©

Ditto - we leave on 15th January. I leave my house in Essex on the 12th to move back to my Mums for a few days, so the logistics of a party are not simple.

Have it in Essex before I move on the 12th, but then friends from the Midlands will have to travel down - and vice versa!!

I have the added problem that my father passed away last christmas and his funeral was early Jan, therefore I will not feel like a celebratory party during this period, especially as my Mum will be feeling very vunerable.

Not feeling sorry for myself, just trying to sort out the myriad of problems which each and everyone of us face!!

Dave
have a big NEW YEAR/LEAVING party !!!!! sorted
Old Sep 9th 2004, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

We had a leaving do, I really didn't want one but AM was adamant and as every man knows, once his spouse sets her mind on something it's far safer to just turn into the nodding dog and go with the flow.

We had ours about 2 weeks before departure and i must admit it was an absolute blast, the night was a blur, wandering from one group of people to the next trying to talk to everyone.

One minute i'm chatting away to people i hadn't seen for months ( originally, i wasn't too bothered if they came or not and as i said before wasn't looking forward to it but it really made my night seeing them again ) and the next minute the whole place was empty and we were the last ones there, it felt like the blink of an eye.

There was a few tears and as mentioned above, it was the most unlikely people.One thing it did do was get some emotion out of the way and drive home to people that we really were going.

The party was a success for us.

Paul.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.