Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are you better off in Aus than the UK?

Are you better off in Aus than the UK?

Old Sep 10th 2007, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

harvey1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are you better off in Aus than the UK?

Ok, we are about to start our visa application and are just doing our sums so we know a bit of what to expect.

Is anyone who has done the move be able to advise on the rough costings of the following please (permonth)

Medicare for family of 4
Water, elec, gas bills,
Council tax
Car insurance
cost of cars (roughly)

Also what would happen with things like our life insurance policies that we have here? Wills.

Also, if any of you are self employed, what % tax to you have to pay?

Regarding mortages, how easy is it to get one?

Thanks if you've got time to help us with this, much appreciated.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 3:08 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you better off in Aus than the UK?

Originally Posted by harvey1
Ok, we are about to start our visa application and are just doing our sums so we know a bit of what to expect.

Is anyone who has done the move be able to advise on the rough costings of the following please (permonth)

Medicare for family of 4
Water, elec, gas bills,
Council tax
Car insurance
cost of cars (roughly)

Also what would happen with things like our life insurance policies that we have here? Wills.

Hello and welcome to the forum. Most of the questions you've asked have been answered many times before and you'll find all the information you need by using the site's search function (up in the pink bar at the top of the window). Regarding your question - we're better off - other people's mileage may vary.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

Dont forget the lifestyle too.

Not waking up in a grey horrible atmosphere, knowing you are paying through the nose for it, and getting no kick backs.

Granted aussie has bad points, but lifestyle has a factor in being better off.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:59 pm
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Financially we are about the same as in the UK BUT physically,spiritually and emotionally....................................... OH YES we are most definately better off. Our quality of life as far as time spent with each other and things we have done since arriving 10 months ago far outweighs anything we had in Britain (the only downside is missing the kids and grandkids but they are visiting soon).

Loz x
Old Sep 10th 2007, 10:29 pm
Senior Stella Member

Plug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nice

Medicare for family of 4 - 1.5% of your pre tax salary after pension taken out plus another 1% if as a family you earn over $100K and don't have Medical Insurance.
Water included in Rates ours were about $400 a qtr, elec about $350-400 a qtr, gas - don't have it
Council tax - see above rates
Car insurance - $40 per months for a small car
cost of cars (roughly) - new Kia Rio around $16k, new medium 4X4 around $32k, large 4X4 around $50-60k plus on road costs. Second hand cars hold their value. Check out www.carsales.com.au

Also what would happen with things like our life insurance policies that we have here? Wills. I checked with my Life company and they sent me a letter to say we were covered so long as the payments were being recieved in the UK (kept bank account open for that reason + handy for parents transferring money for kids presents etc.....).

Also, if any of you are self employed, what % tax to you have to pay? Not self employed so can't help you there, I know come tax rebate time self employed folks do OK!!

Regarding mortages, how easy is it to get one? You will need to be in a job and have passed your probabtion period, other than that they are giving them away with Corn Flakes....a 20% deposit will avoid the need for Lenders Mortgage Insurance which can be a good few grand......

A few quick pointers, we are a family of 5 in Brissy. Good Luck!!
Old Sep 10th 2007, 10:48 pm
Banned

bushboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Most Aussies who move to the Uk do so to earn more money and better career opportunities, while most people who move from the UK to OZ do so not to earn more money or to be better off financialy but move for a better lifestyle. eg better weather, larger house, more space, outdoors, beaches etc.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 2:53 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bushboy
Most Aussies who move to the Uk do so to earn more money and better career opportunities, while most people who move from the UK to OZ do so not to earn more money or to be better off financialy but move for a better lifestyle. eg better weather, larger house, more space, outdoors, beaches etc.
Very true.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

DCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really nice

It can depend on what line of work your in, some jobs pay less out here than the same job in the UK. I'm in I.T. and financially I'm a little worse off, but the lifestyle more than makes up for it.

Some things out here cost an absolute arm and a leg, air travel (both international and domestic) is VERY expensive compared to the UK whereas there are things such as dining out, which is much cheaper than the UK....and better too.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

Location: Chichester, England, Auckland, NZ, Gold Coast, Oz. Going back to UK 17th Oct
DebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud of

It also depends what state in Australia you'lll be living...every state has different fees and charges.

Financially we're no better off here in QLD.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 4:07 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Medicare for family of 4
Water, elec, gas bills,
Council tax
Car insurance
cost of cars (roughly)

We are not financially better off in Perth. Earn alot less, but you learn to adjust. It is hard at first ( we are self-employed) and yes we do pay more tax.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 4:46 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Undoubtedly, yes.
We are better off financially (now).
We have a better quality of life.
Our standard of living is roughly similar.
We have the thing I craved the most in the UK - space.

Much better off here at the moment.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

Again depends on how you "define" better off.

I earn more money in Uk thn I could in Aus.

I am away in Uk 4 nights of the week, and work daft hours, and never see anyone, alone worker.

The reason I need to, if I took a more office based job, my earning go down, and I cant afford what I have, so i dont have a balance here, and hat I have is needed to enjoy life here, because lets face it, theres very few places you can go without paying for it.

In Aus, I can have the balance, as I want to be there, and will cut the cloth accordingly, having lived there, and ping ponged, I can see where my flaws were in migrating.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

johull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DebiE
It also depends what state in Australia you'lll be living...every state has different fees and charges.

Financially we're no better off here in QLD.
Hi there

Are you coming back to UK? Which part f the Gold Coast are you on? I think there is not much in it to be honest - the things you save on you pay more for in other areas. Its the dental costs and medical that frighten me!!!

We came back for 18 months and are going back - costs rising here!!!!
Old Sep 14th 2007, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

katiesel has a spectacular aura aboutkatiesel has a spectacular aura aboutkatiesel has a spectacular aura about

Hi Just a quick reply, we were better off financially in the UK!
Old Sep 14th 2007, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

johull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to all

Originally Posted by katiesel
Hi Just a quick reply, we were better off financially in the UK!
But where would you rather be? Do you feel you have a 'nice' life in Oz? Or do you miss your old life?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.