Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are you allowed to pack bottles of alcohol in your furniture container

Are you allowed to pack bottles of alcohol in your furniture container

Old Oct 28th 2007, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

moamethyst is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Are you allowed to pack bottles of alcohol in your furniture container

Hi I am wondering if you are allowed to put bottles of alcohol in the container as part of household goods and furniture when emigrating to Australia?
Old Oct 28th 2007, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you allowed to pack bottles of alcohol in your furniture container

Originally Posted by moamethyst
Hi I am wondering if you are allowed to put bottles of alcohol in the container as part of household goods and furniture when emigrating to Australia?
Have you checked out their customs rules?????

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4352

Lau x
Old Oct 28th 2007, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

scrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud of
Default Re: Are you allowed to pack bottles of alcohol in your furniture container

Yes you can but you will have to declare them and apparently the duty payable is massive. If I were you I'd drink them at this end before you go.

Trish
Old Oct 28th 2007, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Reedy
Have you checked out their customs rules?????

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4352

Lau x
thanks for your advice
Old Oct 28th 2007, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scrum
Yes you can but you will have to declare them and apparently the duty payable is massive. If I were you I'd drink them at this end before you go.

Trish
thanks for the advice
Old Oct 28th 2007, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Yep - there is a specific section on the import forms that asks about booze.

Plus there is the risk of the bottle breaking and liquid leaking causing damage to other stuff.

I had quite a lot of unopened single malts that I had to give away.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 10:21 pm
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold

I brought two malts I couldn't facxe giving away. Duty is charged even if they are open, the duty was a fair bit as I remember.

If it's a bottle of run of the mill spirits I'd have a party and use it up, if it's something rare or special you may be prepared to pay the duty.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 11:12 pm
Greetings Traveller

JustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to all

If you only have a few bottles you can't bear to part with you can take them in your luggage when you fly out, as we did (in our cases, very well packaged & they survived). The total amount must be below the normal amount for declaring though of course, or be prepared the duty if needing to declare.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by scrum

Trish
Hi,
I brought some brazilian cachaca (type of rum) and a 28 yr old bottle of port given to us at our wedding and declared them (very important as if they find them undeclared they will go through your container with a fine tooth comb). I was not charged any duty but maybe they thought that such a small amount was not worth the hassel.

they were packed in a water tight container so if they broke they would not have damaged anything else. Must admit, looking forward to using the cachaca in summer lying in a hammock by the pool..... hmmmmm.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 1:25 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I have a single malt collection that I wanted to bring. The packers packed (hid?) it in our container. We did not declare it and were not pulled up over it. I'm glad as single malt is way expensive over here.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 9:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I have a single malt collection that I wanted to bring. The packers packed (hid?) it in our container. We did not declare it and were not pulled up over it. I'm glad as single malt is way expensive over here.
thanks for your advice .
Old Oct 29th 2007, 9:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Yep - there is a specific section on the import forms that asks about booze.

Plus there is the risk of the bottle breaking and liquid leaking causing damage to other stuff.

I had quite a lot of unopened single malts that I had to give away.
Good leaving presents for someone. Thanks for advice.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 9:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by temptininnit
I brought two malts I couldn't facxe giving away. Duty is charged even if they are open, the duty was a fair bit as I remember.

If it's a bottle of run of the mill spirits I'd have a party and use it up, if it's something rare or special you may be prepared to pay the duty.
thanks we will need to decide what to take and what to leave
Old Oct 29th 2007, 9:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JustBecause
If you only have a few bottles you can't bear to part with you can take them in your luggage when you fly out, as we did (in our cases, very well packaged & they survived). The total amount must be below the normal amount for declaring though of course, or be prepared the duty if needing to declare.
good advice thanks
Old Oct 29th 2007, 9:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by chrispy
Hi,
I brought some brazilian cachaca (type of rum) and a 28 yr old bottle of port given to us at our wedding and declared them (very important as if they find them undeclared they will go through your container with a fine tooth comb). I was not charged any duty but maybe they thought that such a small amount was not worth the hassel.

they were packed in a water tight container so if they broke they would not have damaged anything else. Must admit, looking forward to using the cachaca in summer lying in a hammock by the pool..... hmmmmm.
Enjoy and thanks for reply

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.