Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Yorkeys Knob in Cairns

Yorkeys Knob in Cairns

Old Oct 13th 2009, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Discovery has a spectacular aura aboutDiscovery has a spectacular aura aboutDiscovery has a spectacular aura about
Default Yorkeys Knob in Cairns

Compared to Darwin where I live, properties in Cairns appear to be quite cheap. I have seen a couple of investment properties in Yorkeys Knob (Cairns) on realestate.com. I am planning to fly down to Cairns to check the properties but I just wonder if Yorkeys Knob is a good area for investment properties.

Old Oct 13th 2009, 11:53 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yorkeys Knob in Cairns

Originally Posted by Discovery
Compared to Darwin where I live, properties in Cairns appear to be quite cheap. I have seen a couple of investment properties in Yorkeys Knob (Cairns) on realestate.com. I am planning to fly down to Cairns to check the properties but I just wonder if Yorkeys Knob is a good area for investment properties.

I have an investment property at Trinity beach, which is a bit further up the coast from YK. I have had no problem letting it for the rent I wanted.

Last edited by Amazulu; Oct 13th 2009 at 12:13 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 12:59 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yorkeys Knob in Cairns

Approx figures from the 2006 Census:

50% of properties are rentals.
40% of which are flats, units and apartments.
75% rented through real estate agents.
$185 median weekly rent.

Unemplyment rate in Cairns is the highest in Australia at about 13%. This is having a negative affect on population growth which has dropped from a high 3.5% per annum at the turn of the year. It now stands at 142,000 and the growth is officially zero.

Cairns was basically overlooked with the stimulus packages but Fed government are (supposedly) on the case now.

Rental availability is the highest it's been since first half 2006 topping 5% in places like the Southern corridor and Kewarra beach.

There has been a downward pressure on rents for several months now. I did come across a website the other day where a few investment property landlords were suffering with longer than normal vacancy periods and lower rents.

Economic downturn is having a dramatic affect but there is also a glut of apartments / units / flats built over the last 3/4 years. I think that will also affect the rental market as availabilty of them is approaching 10%.

I'm sure "she'll be right" but it'll take a while. In the meantime the one area families can save is by renting somewhere cheaper so the low end of the market will always be filled.

I can't put my hand on any figures but I did hear YK had a sizeable number of student renters that attend the James Cook university up the road in Smithfield.

YK itself is an older burb with mainly older housing stock.
(not saying it's bad) There is a good beach with stinger net. A yacht marina and club. Some parklands but not a lot else. Location is very convenient. Thing that I personally don't like is that it is in the flight path and the planes do come in quite low and noisy over the marina area.
Oh, and the main road into YK is prone to flooding once or twice a year.