Wikiposts

Yob Culture

Old Jan 23rd 2005, 9:08 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Yob Culture

Originally Posted by MattOR
Definitely true, but I wonder if it is different anywhere elsewhere in the world?
I don't mean to paint a rosy picture of life in the US but it irks me sometimes when people blame 'American culture' for their own crime problems. Crime in the US has been largely fueled by drugs and poverty, and it seems to me that these problems are endemic worldwide. However, my own experience is that yobbish behaviour is much more of a problem in the UK than it is in the US.
People tend to see this happen in the US first then their own country. They put 2 and 2 together and get 5. Much easier to blame outsiders than be introspective as to the real causes of crime and acceptability of anti-social behaviour.
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 9:18 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by bondipom
People tend to see this happen in the US first then their own country. They put 2 and 2 together and get 5. Much easier to blame outsiders than be introspective as to the real causes of crime and acceptability of anti-social behaviour.
Agreed, just read the Daily Mail over here, one of the best mud slingers ever!

America has had the worse press over the last few years with wars and the like, so scape goat No. 1!

M

Old Jan 23rd 2005, 9:57 am
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

The nearest pub to me, approx 50 yards away, has some sort of trouble every weekend almost without fail. Police cars, police vans and ambulances are outside at closing time most fridays and saturdays. I dont live in a rough area, thats just the way it is.
I believe that the 'yob culture' we are discussing IS unique to the UK.
Yes many countries have a violent minority but personally speaking I feel more threatened by yobs in my own city than I do in any other country in the world that I have visited.
I blame the welfare state, too many people sitting on their backsides living on handouts. Setting a bad example for their kids, who grow up thinking the world owes them a living, whichs then breeds a lack of respect for themselves their peers and especially authority.
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 10:11 am

If it was the welfare state then what you witness would be more prevalent in other countries with more generous benefits systems. Alcohol, violence, pubs and trouble are not unique to the UK.
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 10:18 am
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by bondipom
If it was the welfare state then what you witness would be more prevalent in other countries with more generous benefits systems. Alcohol, violence, pubs and trouble are not unique to the UK.
Its not just pubs though is it, we have to run a gauntlet of teenage yobs just to go and buy a pint of milk these days.
The courts dont back up the police, so they seem powerless.
Of course pubs and alcohol can lead to violence the world over but we definatly have more of a problem here in England.
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by pompeywill
Its not just pubs though is it, we have to run a gauntlet of teenage yobs just to go and buy a pint of milk these days.
The courts dont back up the police, so they seem powerless.
Of course pubs and alcohol can lead to violence the world over but we definatly have more of a problem here in England.
Go to a country town in Oz. A teacher I know is getting his points in a what is regarded as a nice country town. Same crap happens. They won't go to the pubs because every night is fight night.
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 11:26 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Saturday night a bikie was stabbed, and another (rival) gang member was shot in one of Northbridge's popular and biggest nightclubs, Metrocity.
On the same night, someone shot into the ceiling in Red sea(?) nightclub in Subiaco.

As I said before, it's not only at night. A few weeks ago there was a drunken/aggressive guy outside the bank where I was bringing the cheques for work. It was 2pm.

You won't notice much of this if you stay in the good/expensive suburbs, or at least it's less obvious(except the hoons). And on holiday you are nearly sure to miss it, because you are in the nicest areas and touristy spots.
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 11:32 am

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/...415457106.html

Head of Coffin Cheaters bikie gang stabbed
January 24, 2005

The sergeant-in-arms of outlawed motorcycle gang, the Coffin Cheaters, was stabbed in the neck and another man was shot in a Perth nightclub early on Sunday.

Police named the Coffin Cheater victim as Troy Mercanti.

But it was not known whether the attack at the Metro Nightclub in Perth's entertainment precinct of Northbridge at 1.30am was random or an act of retribution in Perth's ongoing bikie wars.

Police spokesman Sergeant Mike Gough said Mercanti's injuries were not life-threatening and he had already checked himself out of hospital.

But the shooting victim, who is not a member of the bikie gang, was reportedly in a serious condition in hospital.
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

MattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Merlot
Hello Matt

We do seem to have a bee in the bonnet with my comment "Some would blame the American culture that has seeped through the world - who is to say!"

It says "some would blame", I didn't say "I would blame". I have never been to America, I have no desire to in the same way I have no desire to eat haggis. So in this I can't talk first hand.

Shit happens in any place, America seems to be blamed by the media over in the UK for the "start" of it all, such things as music and violent movies, again who is to say. I certainly am not! I have passed on an observation.

I like bondipom I have lived in Whalley Range next door to Moss Side in Manchester, I have also been to some parties in the poshiest houses in town as well as the less desirable, both places I have seen crimes committed in the way of drugs. I have been the victim of crime.

The world is a not very nice place, I can't see it getting better unfortunately. I strongly believe the breakdown in family values and communities has assisted this slide, we are producing a generation of not very nice human beings.

Merlot
Hi Merlot,

I wasn't aiming my remarks at you, just those 'some' people who believe what they read in the Daily Mail. Sorry if I caused offense.

I do feel that the US too often gets a bad rap in the foreign press (albeit sometimes justifiably) so I get irritated when the British media delights in portraying it as a violent, lawless, crime-ridden society. My observations from living here have been the opposite. But then much of the crime is concentrated in poorer, predominantly minority communities, so as a privileged white kid I have been largely insulated from it.

However, it saddens me to see the BBC slide into sensationalism, there's enough of it over here...

I totally agree that the breakdown of family values and communities are contributing to rising crime. Doesn't help either when the (largely US) media churns out a constant stream of garbage glorifying drugs, crime, and violence.

So with that, I'm off to watch 'Kill Bill' with a nice, cool IPA.

Cheers,
Matt
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 7:43 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by MattOR
Hi Merlot,

I wasn't aiming my remarks at you, just those 'some' people who believe what they read in the Daily Mail. Sorry if I caused offense.

I do feel that the US too often gets a bad rap in the foreign press (albeit sometimes justifiably) so I get irritated when the British media delights in portraying it as a violent, lawless, crime-ridden society. My observations from living here have been the opposite. But then much of the crime is concentrated in poorer, predominantly minority communities, so as a privileged white kid I have been largely insulated from it.

However, it saddens me to see the BBC slide into sensationalism, there's enough of it over here...

I totally agree that the breakdown of family values and communities are contributing to rising crime. Doesn't help either when the (largely US) media churns out a constant stream of garbage glorifying drugs, crime, and violence.

So with that, I'm off to watch 'Kill Bill' with a nice, cool IPA.

Cheers,
Matt
That's OK, no offence taken, as you said it is the media that hype a lot up. America does get the share of blame.

I just worry where as human's we go next, I can only see down which is a shame.

Hope you enjoyed "kill Bill" - hehe, I am just off to mug a little old lady then shoot up some heroin.

Best wishes
Merlot

Old Feb 20th 2005, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sue
I was just reading the Aussie news and saw an article blaming binge drinking for an increase in violence on the streets of Brisbane. It reminded me of this thread from a view weeks ago, and as was discussed here, seems that you can't escape the problem - it's just part of today's world.

In the latest incident, a guy in Bris died after being attacked and robbed of his designer clothes (which turned out to be fake anyway).

Binge drinking blamed for violence
by Alex Murdoch
18feb05

QUEENSLAND Premier Peter Beattie has blamed a culture of binge drinking for a rise in violence on city streets.

The community had to face the problem of excessive alcohol consumption, and confront it head on, Mr Beattie said.
"The reality is, if people didn't drink in excess then there wouldn't be the sort of problems we've got now," Mr Beattie said.
"We need to face up to our drinking culture in this country and say `yes, drinking is fine, but in moderation'."
Mr Beattie's warning followed reports of increasing violence in central Brisbane, culminating in two deaths this year.
In the latest attack, Paul Markham, 23, was found bashed and robbed of his fake designer shoes outside the Embassy Hotel in Brisbane CBD early on Sunday.
He died in hospital the next day.
An 18-year-old youth was charged over Mr Markham's killing, while an 19-year-old was charged with stealing.
Mr Beattie said he did not believe Queenslanders should accept binge drinking as a cultural trait.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 4:12 am
Account Closed

Vinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sue from Manchester
Had a bit of a sleepless night because of an incident last night at a taxi rank. The usual - drunken louts looking for trouble, imagining insults to their "manhood", wandering around with a beer glass in their hand looking for someone's face to smash it into. This time though I was stood 2 feet away and it's left me a bit shook up.

Can anyone tell me if I can expect the same in Australia? I know you have your hoons who like racing round in their cars. But do you get this level of rage and violence and drunkenness. I'm talking about a small town centre 8 miles South of the centre of Manchester, not a city centre.
Sue,

Sounds like you were in Ashton or Denton.... and if you were not..then they are still in a similar state of war! Which is another reason Karen and I want want to get out of this place and join our daughter in Sydney.
Wish you well downunder...lucky you..we may have to wait another 3 years!

Arthur & Karen
Old Feb 20th 2005, 9:42 am
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of

I can't see this situation getting any better until governments world-wide devlop programmes to make drinking as socially unacceptable as smoking now is. But why would they? They make too much money from it.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 9:55 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I would say that UK & Aus have about the same level of yob culture. When I was in Cairns a few years ago, I saw & got caught up in loads of this, it was quite bad to the level that if you had a foreign accent (non-aussie) & were in the wrong place at 2am, you were in deep sh*t.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

Willow is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Oldham manchester UK i will be glad when i move out off here the teen violance is horendousi have 2 kids 1 is now 18 and lives with my ex husband he is a right tare away and ppl blame the parents i blame the govement as it is them that as taken the parents right away to give there kids a well NEEDED crack i had respect for my parents and these days all us parents get is abuse adn if we hit our kids like our parents hit us we get done for it where is the justice in that the parent gets done for chastising there own child if the govement carry on the way thay are goin this country will be run by the youth off today and imagine the mess it will get in well can it realy get any worse?

willow (caz)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.