Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Yipee Got it! But I have a few ?

Yipee Got it! But I have a few ?

Old Mar 25th 2007, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

Tatyana R will become famous soon enoughTatyana R will become famous soon enough
Default Yipee Got it! But I have a few ?

Hi guys,

We got our visas granted last week and are planning to head to Oz in July or soonafter. In total for everyones info our 136 visa took exactly 6 months from submission to DIMA to receipt of the grant letter. Pretty quick I think.

So now I guess the real work starts! My husband is a baker and should get work realatively easy in NSW and I am a paralegal in the UK but looking to do something different. This is where I may need some help!! I am thinking of retraining as a police officer only I have the following questions;

1. It appears that australian police officers have to go to university. Does anybody know whether this is correct.
2. Does anybody know if the individual has to fund the costs etc themselves?

Obviously I have done some research on the net and am awaiting info from them. My understanding of the UK police is that you do not have to go to uni first. I may have my info wrong so please do let me know if you can share any info regarding this.

I have one or two other questions-

1. Is there anything apart from getting our passports validated we should be doing before we go in July?

Any help would be so gratefully received.

Many thanks

Tatyana
Old Mar 25th 2007, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

chris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to all
Default Re: Yipee Got it! But I have a few ?

Originally Posted by Tatyana R
Hi guys,

We got our visas granted last week and are planning to head to Oz in July or soonafter. In total for everyones info our 136 visa took exactly 6 months from submission to DIMA to receipt of the grant letter. Pretty quick I think.

So now I guess the real work starts! My husband is a baker and should get work realatively easy in NSW and I am a paralegal in the UK but looking to do something different. This is where I may need some help!! I am thinking of retraining as a police officer only I have the following questions;

1. It appears that australian police officers have to go to university. Does anybody know whether this is correct.

Obviously I have done some research on the net and am awaiting info from them. My understanding of the UK police is that you do not have to go to uni first. I may have my info wrong so please do let me know if you can share any info regarding this.

1. Is there anything apart from getting our passports validated we should be doing before we go in July?

Many thanks

Tatyana
congatulations
my cousin is a cop in wa im sure he did go to uni but he dropped out so i wouldn't of thought you need too, ill try and find out some info for you
Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:38 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats. You know you dont need to go on a validation trip beore you make your migration move ?

As to becoming a cop. No you dont need a degree. They take into account work experience and then you need less qualifications. Take a look at http://www.police.qld.gov.au/join/re....htm#education

If you dont feel confident that you could meet the education requirement you could always consider arriving and studying a 1 year diploma or something like that.

However, you should bear in mind that you can be posted ANYWHERE in the state. This is for queensland anyway.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:30 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

If you get your visa validated before the 1st July you come under the old two year requirement for citizenship. After that, its four years.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: WAS, stourbridge w.mids NOW Waikiki, W.A.Hear almost 3 yrs.and still loving it.
ROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of light

Hi guys,

We got our visas granted last weekand are planning to head to Oz in July or soonafter. In total for everyones info our 136 visa took exactly 6 months from submission to DIMA to receipt of the grant letter. Pretty quick I think.

Obviously I have done some research on the net and am awaiting info from them. My understanding of the UK police is that you do not have to go to uni first. I may have my info wrong so please do let me know if you can share any info regarding this

Many thanks

Tatyana
C O N G R A T U T L A T I O N S .
it`s a great feel ......................get packing i say........................
c.
x
Old Mar 26th 2007, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

Many thanks

Tatyana
congratulations - don't you have to be a citizen to gain entry into the police force? Or is that just the AFP?
Old Mar 26th 2007, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Tatyana R will become famous soon enoughTatyana R will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by chris34uk
congatulations
my cousin is a cop in wa im sure he did go to uni but he dropped out so i wouldn't of thought you need too, ill try and find out some info for you
Oh great that would be fantastic.

T
Old Mar 26th 2007, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Centurion
Congrats. You know you dont need to go on a validation trip beore you make your migration move ?

As to becoming a cop. No you dont need a degree. They take into account work experience and then you need less qualifications. Take a look at http://www.police.qld.gov.au/join/re....htm#education

If you dont feel confident that you could meet the education requirement you could always consider arriving and studying a 1 year diploma or something like that.

However, you should bear in mind that you can be posted ANYWHERE in the state. This is for queensland anyway.
Hi there, thanks for the info.

Yes I did know that we didn't need a validation trip but thanks.

I don't think I did a very good job of explaining myself on my post- I have been doing some research and it appears that you have to go to the Charles Sturt Uni to study a degree in policing or that is what I meant to ask - i.e is this correct as I went on the NSW police website and they referred me to the uni? Am very confused!!

T
Old Mar 26th 2007, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ws99
If you get your visa validated before the 1st July you come under the old two year requirement for citizenship. After that, its four years.
Excellent news - I didn't realise that!
Old Mar 26th 2007, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sasbear
congratulations - don't you have to be a citizen to gain entry into the police force? Or is that just the AFP?
Hey there, Thanks for reply. As I have a permanent residencey visa I can join on this. Not sure what a AFP is! Do educate me!
Old Mar 26th 2007, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Congratulations.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

You definitely do not need a degree to be a police officer in NSW.

As far as I'm aware you have to do a six-months (?) training course at the police academy at Goulburn and then you're posted to a cop shop and on your way.

Last edited by NickyC; Mar 26th 2007 at 11:43 am.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NickyC
You definitely do not need a degree to be a police officer in NSW.

As far as I'm aware you have to do a six-months (?) training course at the police academy at Goulburn and then you're posted to a cop shop and on your way.
Thanks NickyC .A cop shop - I am liking the lingo already
Old Mar 26th 2007, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Just been reading up about the police training in NSW.

Whilst you don't need a degree to start your training - it looks like your training will eventually result in a degree (awarded by CSU). I presume that means you're not a full police officer until you get it.

The first part of the training is done at the Goulburn police place, then you're posted to a station but you continue training on-the-job.

So whilst you can start training to be a police officer with no degree - you can't be a full one until you've got it.

Make sense?
Old Mar 26th 2007, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NickyC
Just been reading up about the police training in NSW.

Whilst you don't need a degree to start your training - it looks like your training will eventually result in a degree (awarded by CSU). I presume that means you're not a full police officer until you get it.

The first part of the training is done at the Goulburn police place, then you're posted to a station but you continue training on-the-job.

So whilst you can start training to be a police officer with no degree - you can't be a full one until you've got it.

Make sense?
Yes that does make sense NickyC. Thanks for your help. I thought this was the case.

Looks like its back to school I go then!!