Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Yikes! I've got a telephone interview - any tips!

Yikes! I've got a telephone interview - any tips!

Old Jun 14th 2007, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

M_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really nice
Default Yikes! I've got a telephone interview - any tips!

Already got the PR visa and the flights are booked for September so started applying for jobs. Got a telephone interview for the first one I applied for!

It's with the Victorian Government - interview panel of 3 people, so I think I'll be on speaker phone.

It's Weds 20th at 8am my time. I'm so nervous already.

Any tips and advice will be really appreciated.

Cheers
J.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 9:29 am
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yikes! I've got a telephone interview - any tips!

Haven't a clue about the interview but just to wish you well with it Jules. Nice to hear that all your plans are coming together.

How is sunny Trent Bridge?

Lou
xx

Originally Posted by M_and_J
Already got the PR visa and the flights are booked for September so started applying for jobs. Got a telephone interview for the first one I applied for!

It's with the Victorian Government - interview panel of 3 people, so I think I'll be on speaker phone.

Cheers
J.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 9:33 am
One of Big G's girls.

Loubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Yikes! I've got a telephone interview - any tips?

Well done on the interview. Don't worry - it wont be as bad as you think. I have only had one telephone interview ( with 3 interviewers as well ) and found it far less stressful than face to face ones.

I spent the night before looking at the job description and trying to work out what they may ask. I jotted lots of different answers down, so could use these as prompts in the interview. I also wrote down all the questions I wanted to ask them, so I didn't forget. I had a plan that I would put the phone down if I got stuck (and blame the poor phone link), so that I could buy myself a bit of time. Luckily I didn't need to do this. It is a good idea at the start of the call, to establish that they will call you back if you do get cut off though. You don't want to be wondering if you should be calling them.

It was a bit wierd at first, but you soon get used to it and the feedback I got was that I sounded very postive and confident, with comprehensive answers.
Didn't get the job - it was a bit of a long shot and I had no experience in that particular area, but the interview was fine.

Best of luck with it.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

chmaiden has a spectacular aura aboutchmaiden has a spectacular aura aboutchmaiden has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by M_and_J

Cheers
J.
cool J - how did you ge the interview for that then? good luck!
Old Jun 14th 2007, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Get naked and get breakfast in bed...

by that I think I mean relax... no formal starchy collar... being horizontal with your eyes closed allows you to concentrate on what they are saying... treat it as a cosy converstion... not the spanish inquisition

One of your opening gambits must be to say "I've never had a telephone interview before so bear with me if I'm a bit nervous/ bit of a muppet" they will appreciate your honesty.

If you are applying for a job you know how to do .. no worries.. you shouldn't have any questions you can't answer... dont be afraid to ask for clarification if you don't understand the language (it can be a problem) and ask them to repeat a question if you don't understand it, or have lost the plot whilst answering it..

Dont try to blag it...

At the end of the day they will not be wasting their time and money interviewing someone on the other side of the world unless they are pretty bloody interested in you..

Relax, enjoy, they need you... and you need them... match made in heaven
Old Jun 14th 2007, 10:44 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

hiya Jules,

Any telephone interview I've had has been WAY better than face to face! You can write stuff down as a prompt, have your CV in front of you etc and they can't see, only hear, your reaction to questions etc.

It's the worst cliche in the world but smile when you're talking, it comes across in your voice, otherwise the voice tends to drop and it can actually be difficult to hear. Also, avoid things like 'em' and 'aaaah' etc, they sound worse then they can't see that you're using it as a way of thinking about an answer.

best of luck!

Therese
Old Jun 14th 2007, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

M_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really nice

Thanks guys for all the tips so far.

I'm going to treat this first interview as good experience and if I get the job at the end then that's a bonus. Hopefully that will make me less nervous!

I like your tip about relaxing and being comfortable Eddie - putting on a suit (I rarely wear one for work) will probably just add to my nerves because I'm not used to it and associate it with interviews and being nervous!

CH maiden - I just searched the Victorian Gov jobs site online and started applying. So far I've sent off 4 applications! Kind of pleased to get an interview for the first one I did as it's confirmed that I'm saying the right things! And that they are happy to interview you over the phone.

Wish me luck and keep the good advice coming!
Old Jun 14th 2007, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

doje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of light

Have you checked out mindtools.com? I have used it quite a lot recently and have found it to be quite useful. My Mum always says to me "imagine they are sat there in their underwear, not intimidating now!" Good luck and let us know how you get on

donna
Old Jun 14th 2007, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Whingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really nice

Any tips and advice will be really appreciated
Don't forget to answer the phone
Old Jun 14th 2007, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Thats down and to the right from UK.
znaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to all

Hi,

I had one for a job in Melbourne and it started at midnight UK time. This wasn't a good idea as I never realised the difference it would make (too tired) - i should have done early morning instead.

However, i got the job!

My advice is be very positive, but be honest to ensure you aren't being interviewed for a role you couldn't possibly do.

I found I was nervous, tired and didn't settle for the first 10 minutes.
However, the HR girl was brilliant and kept the conversation going.

I did read up on the company and made notes of facts and figures, and also read the CV I sent to them a few times. This meant I wasn't too stuck for words and could figure out what they wanted me for.

Contrary to the advice of others I was told sit up straight so your voice and manner comes accross strong and properly. It's really not a casual chat with a mate and you need to come across as keen/interested if you want the job.

Hope this helps.

Zach
Old Jun 14th 2007, 10:11 pm
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

Def sit up straight or even stand - a lot of people find this makes them sound more confident on the phone.

Re read your cv and job application as others have suggested and have a few questions of your own to ask.

Remember - be confident - they must think you're worth it if they are calling you.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get this stand up to sound confident thing at all.. confidence comes from a state of mind and attitude... I honestly believe that you should relax

Yes, I agree that you can tell if some one is smiling on the phone...

I worked for a number of years for an national helpline which listened to distressed people. If you have a phone to your ear and the mouthpeice to your mouth as most people do ... your voice simply does not need further projection/ strength .... Even long distance, it is an intimate tool where even slight changes in breathing can be noted, believe me...

Most people at any interview suffer from nerves... anything you can do which limits nervousness (that doesn't inlcude drugs and alcohol) helps your confidence. Closing your eyes helps focus your concentration as it reduces external stimulae... . I was at an IPM conference and heard a speaker who said that The single biggest mistake people make when being interviewed is to fail to relax and enjoy the experience... I took that on board and have (touch wood) never had an unsuccesful interview....

They want you..... go get the job....
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Well sadly I didn't get it, let my nerves get the better of me and gave some really silly answers. Hey-ho.

On the plus side, the whole telephone thing really wasn't a problem. It was good being able to have your notes near you and they can't see you going red!

So any of you that have telephone interviews - don't worry. In many ways it's better than being sat facing a panel of people.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 2:33 pm
visa granted 6th August

stevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to all

Have a big glass of wine before it so you are relaxed on the phone thay will never know thats the good thing about telephone interviews. hic hic