Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Yet another, we have been here a year post

Yet another, we have been here a year post

Old Nov 20th 2006, 4:57 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute
Default Yet another, we have been here a year post

Wow where did that year go? I will keep this as short as possible as these things can drag on a bit.

I would have to say on the whole things have gone pretty smooth for us. We moved in with my Sister while our house went through, only for the buyers to pull out twice on the day of completion, once 10 minutes before we where due to exchange contracts
With a lot of help from my family over here and a huge short term loan off my In laws we still managed to buy our house that we had a deposit on as all our money was in the equity on our house. We had looked at a few area's and we decided on a house with a decent size garden that was only 5 years old and in good condition, we did not fancy buying a house that needed a load of work as we figured it's enough moving halfway around the world without all that grief.

All the usual things TFN, Medicare, etc are a piece of cake to get and not worth losing any sleep over, my number one tip is get your drivers licence asap. It is required as ID for most everything and in Victoria it took us about 15 minutes each to get as you just have to present your UK one.

I got a job in 3 weeks doing the same as in London on the same wages so no problems there, OH went to help out in my Sisters firm in January and is still there.

We have now settled into the area and I have joined 2 local golf courses so you meet a lot of people there friend's not yet but it takes time to really get to know over here, everyone is very friendly, but tend to stick with their own friends, as you would expect as they have probably known them for years. I have not really been homesick as such, just a bit bored in the dark winter nights. OH was upset on New Years day but that has been about it.

So on the whole what do I think, I really like it here, I don't suppose I will ever get used to not having a really good beer in a proper pub and I have given up trying to find a restaurant that serves food after 9.00pm. If thats all I have got to whinge about then I can't really complain can I.

We have had huge support from my family over here and I take my hat off to all the people that come over here without knowing anyone and in some circumstances never having even visited before. I don't know how you do it.

Good job I kept that short

John
Old Nov 20th 2006, 5:21 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Yet another, we have been here a year post

Originally Posted by jond
We have had huge support from my family over here and I take my hat off to all the people that come over here without knowing anyone and in some circumstances never having even visited before. I don't know how you do it.

John
We just drink a lot more!!!

Glad it's working well for you.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jond

Good job I kept that short

John
Nah. I was enjoying it! : )
Old Nov 20th 2006, 6:18 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Yet another, we have been here a year post

Good for you John.

Look forward to meeting you next week.

Buzzy
Old Nov 20th 2006, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Good for you John.

Look forward to meeting you next week.

Buzzy

Cheers

See you next week.

John
Old Nov 20th 2006, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=TraceyW]We just drink a lot more!!!

LOL

I am serious though, how do some people move here and never even visit beforehand.

I don't think I could be that brave and do that.