Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Yet another pensions question!

Yet another pensions question!

Old Jan 3rd 2012, 1:49 am
Just Joined

glazfolk is a jewel in the roughglazfolk is a jewel in the roughglazfolk is a jewel in the roughglazfolk is a jewel in the rough
Default Yet another pensions question!

Greetings!

Please be patient with me, I have a question, but first I must explain my circumstances.

I have been living in Oz since 1984. In March 2007 I turned 60, since when I have been receiving a modest but handy monthly UK Teacher's Pension, paid directly to my Auistralian bank account (having worked as a teacher in the UK for several years).

In March 2012 I will be 65. I have just received in the post literature and forms from the Uk Dept of Workplace and Pensions inviting me to apply for a UK state pension, for which I will be eligible from March 2012.

I do understand that any amount I receive will be frozen for ever at that rate, but that is not my question.

My question is this. I seem to vaguely recall hearing somewhere that if I do get any UK state pension my teacher's pension will be reduced by an equivalent amount. I might be completely wrong about this, it is only a vague recollection.

Would I stand to be disadvantaged in any way if I complete the forms and send them back to the UK to appy for any state pension for which I might be eligible?

Any informed frank and fearless advice would be appreciated!
Thank you!
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 3:14 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yet another pensions question!

Originally Posted by glazfolk
My question is this. I seem to vaguely recall hearing somewhere that if I do get any UK state pension my teacher's pension will be reduced by an equivalent amount. I might be completely wrong about this, it is only a vague recollection.
You are wrong

The state pension has no effect on occupational pensions
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 3:25 am
Just Joined

glazfolk is a jewel in the roughglazfolk is a jewel in the roughglazfolk is a jewel in the roughglazfolk is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Yet another pensions question!

Thank you Grayling.

It isn't very often that I am happy to be told that I am wrong.