Reload this Page >

Yet another LAHFA question.

Yet another LAHFA question.

Old Mar 29th 2008, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

davewolfs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Yet another LAHFA question.

Hello everyone,

I currently live in the US with my wife and am considering a temporary contract opportunity (2+ years on 457 VISA) in Australia. My wife is fortunate enough to be in a position where she can do a voluntary transfer through her US employer to one of the companies Australian offices.

Based on what I have read I believe that I would qualify for LAHFA. What I would like to know is that because my wife is voluntary transferring to this office for the duration of my employment contract, would she in anyway not be eligible for the LAHFA tax benefit.

Please advise.

Dave
Old Mar 29th 2008, 7:32 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yet another LAHFA question.

Dave, I presume your wife will be getting temorary residency in Oz based on your 457? If so the same rules should apply to both of you I think.

Buzzy
Old Mar 29th 2008, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yet another LAHFA question.

Originally Posted by davewolfs
Hello everyone,

I currently live in the US with my wife and am considering a temporary contract opportunity (2+ years on 457 VISA) in Australia. My wife is fortunate enough to be in a position where she can do a voluntary transfer through her US employer to one of the companies Australian offices.

Based on what I have read I believe that I would qualify for LAHFA. What I would like to know is that because my wife is voluntary transferring to this office for the duration of my employment contract, would she in anyway not be eligible for the LAHFA tax benefit.

Please advise.

Dave

I don't know a certain answer, but I get LAFHA and my wife doesn't..simply becuase her company don't know how to do it. Remeber its the company that gives you the LAFHA and not all companies will.

However, as generally LAFHA is made up of of 2 parts: The cost of renting and the cost of food etc. I cannot see that if you both share the same rental that you could both claim the rental part of the LAFHA, unless you each claimed 50% etc. However, I would think that may be she could claim her food part...?

Anyone?