Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Yet again "air con" !!!!

Yet again "air con" !!!!

Old Jan 18th 2006, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

daveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of light
Default Yet again "air con" !!!!

Hiya All,
any "fridgies" out there? Just wandering if it is worth bringing ALL my insatallation tools, vac. pump, guages, benders, etc....... And is there anything we use in U.K. that I could bring that would be of use in Oz. that they do not have??

Allthe best

Dave and Kath

T.T.F.N.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yet again "air con" !!!!

My husband is an apprentice and he should be able to help- will ask him to reply when he gets back from trade school!
Old Jan 19th 2006, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

chris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud of

Bring it all, you have to prove you have a reclaim and vac pump to get a licence to buy gas.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

daveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chris96
Bring it all, you have to prove you have a reclaim and vac pump to get a licence to buy gas.

Thanks for that Chris96.
Am I right in assuming you do not use 110v equipment in Oz? ( Like , lighting, vac.pumps, reclaim units, and power drills.) If it is not standard practice to use a lower electrical voltage in the workplace, surely it would do no harm if I were to use my 110v stuff???

All the best
Dave and Kathh

T.T.F.N.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

I am Pomster's husband and as a mechanical services apprentice (refrig/air con) would advise that you bring all your tools. In my job, all my tools are in imperial measurements for copper pipes such expanders (rothenberger/ridgid), flaring tools (but at 45degrees), whilst other gas works in 90degree. All gauges/vacuum pumps are used. When you get down here and start work you will probably find out what else you need.
Please note that in refrig/air con you will need to work with metal roofs, but you will learn this on the job.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

chris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud of

I don't see a problem with this, depends what you plan to do, if you work for someone they should provide the tools (not handtools) so the actual company will hold the licence, if you plan to work for yourself then take your tools to get yor licence.

You still need a licence to practice in australia, it's kinda the same as the Safe Handling course in the UK.

Check out the arctick website or the department of the enviroment and heritage for the application form.