Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

yes.......just 2 weeks to go !! NZ here we come

Wikiposts

yes.......just 2 weeks to go !! NZ here we come

Old Sep 17th 2003, 7:58 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold
Default yes.......just 2 weeks to go !! NZ here we come

Wahey,

Only 2 weeks left before we depart these shores (Oct 4th to be exact), for the capital city of NZ. It's been a long time coming, but the excitement is reaching a peak as the arrangements come together. Just need to sell a MK 2 MR2 T-Bar and a few electrical things and we are sorted........

Anyone want to buy a nice motor?

good luck to all others on the same/similar path.

Rich.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 8:57 pm
Drowning Member

Surfer Chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Good Luck!

We can't wait till it's our turn, only we will have to wait for another 2 years
Old Sep 17th 2003, 9:11 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Surfer Chick
Good Luck!

We can't wait till it's our turn, only we will have to wait for another 2 years

Thanks Surfchick --- 2 years !! I take it you are going to Oz then....

good luck anyway,

all the best, Rich.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 9:15 pm
Drowning Member

No, we're going to New Zealand too, but have to get enough capital in our house to make a good start. So we're going to visit in May and apply as soon as we get back. If we get visa's before the end of next year, fine, we'll go. But I think it's unlikely to be that quick

We're abouts are you going to?
Old Sep 17th 2003, 9:24 pm
Life's next chapter is?

No, we're going to New Zealand too, but have to get enough capital in our house to make a good start. So we're going to visit in May and apply as soon as we get back. If we get visa's before the end of next year, fine, we'll go. But I think it's unlikely to be that quick

We're abouts are you going to?
Hi Surfer Chick,

We're off to Wellington. We are quite fortunate I suppose - I've applied under an LTBV as I run my own guitar build / repair business. However, we also fall within 5 points (& luckily we have made the necessary $100,000 NZ from our home and savings) in the Gen Skills category, so we are going over on Oct 4th anyway. If the better half scores a job out there, then so be it, we'll look into the GS category, if not, then hopefully my LTBV application will come through within 12 months (the length of our visas). We can always travel to Oz, Fiji etc anyway if things go that way....

Working for 12 months in NZ also gives you a point towards the Gen Skill cat, so that may be an option for you if you don't have the funds as yet. You just need £10,000 to do it the way we've started out...

Rich
Old Sep 17th 2003, 9:39 pm
Drowning Member

When we have converted our bungalow and I have finished my HND (which I believe gives another point) Martin will have 29 points.

At the end of the year or in the new year the general skills changes, and I believe it is aiming at people who have skills/trade and who are adaptable. Also you get extra points the further away from Auckland you are, like Wellington for instants. I'm hoping that in our case the point system will be even better for us. Martin is a Plumbing & Heating Engineer, but he also develops properties and is quite capable of building a house himself and I don't mean just running the job. He is one of these people who is head strong and not afraid of anything. At the moment he is building a swimming pool! I am training to be an Architectural Technologist.

We're aiming for Christchurch, although Martin will apply using his trade, he wants to go into tourism with setting up a camper site and having a few ponys and farm yard animals for the visiting children to join in if they want to. Martin's had horses before. But we would never be able to afford it here. We want to be in a more rural setting but with easy access to a good Gym Club for our youngest daughter. But she is sports mad, so she can have a go at everything.

We're all really looking forward to it.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 9:45 pm
Life's next chapter is?

Hi there Surferchick,

If I were you I'd look into the LTBV category as there's no points to be hit - you just need a sound business idea - to have run a business at some point etc (I take it your hubby is Self employed), then as long as you have £27,000 (might be a bit more for a little one in the equation, but I doubt it), then you can apply.

You could apply under the "horsey" business or the Heating & plumbing business. Chances are anyway, that your hubby could score a job from here as a Heating engineer - then you'd only need 24 points or less depending on his work experience....If you can secure a job this way, you'd be there in months !!

Rich
Old Sep 17th 2003, 9:53 pm
Drowning Member

1) Not happy with going with less than £70,000

2) Martin went Bankrupt 4 years ago, I think that will discount him, even if he's discharged

3) Wouldn't you need to do the job you applied for? Has not run a school, he has only had his own horses and so hasn't got as many years experience as Plumbing and Heating

Old Sep 17th 2003, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

DonnaS is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck Guitar Doctor!! We're off on 3rd October, although via Nepal for a couple of months, so won't hit NZ until December - just in time for the summer!

Heading to Auckland initially, as that's where I've got work.

Also down to selling the car, although seem to still have a long list of other things to do!

Donna
Old Sep 17th 2003, 10:40 pm
Life's next chapter is?

1) Not happy with going with less than £70,000

2) Martin went Bankrupt 4 years ago, I think that will discount him, even if he's discharged

3) Wouldn't you need to do the job you applied for? Has not run a school, he has only had his own horses and so hasn't got as many years experience as Plumbing and Heating

Yeah you are right, bankruptcy would stop the LTBV. £70,000 is your choice, but we are going over with £50K and it seems to be a good enough platform to start with, but then you have children which is an expense I suppose, what with the whole growing thing....

You don't have to start the job you apply for by all accounts - they never follow it through, though I'd be sceptical on this one with all the changes coming in....

all the best anyway, Rich
Old Sep 17th 2003, 10:44 pm
Life's next chapter is?

Originally posted by DonnaS
Good luck Guitar Doctor!! We're off on 3rd October, although via Nepal for a couple of months, so won't hit NZ until December - just in time for the summer!

Heading to Auckland initially, as that's where I've got work.

Also down to selling the car, although seem to still have a long list of other things to do!

Donna
Good luck to you too Donna,

We decided to leave the travelling until we have a base in NZ to work from .... we just want to get to Wellington now; our patience is getting the better of us.
I don't blame you for stopping off, I could do without 27 hours travelling in one go. We've done the whole Europe travel, so Oz is next after NZ...then maybe we'll get on up to Asia. At least it's easy enough to travel to from NZ if not exactly cost effective....

enjoy, regards, Rich.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really nice

Hi Rich (GuitarDoctor)

Please be careful with your advice...

LTBV capital required is generally calculated as;
a) Living money @ $30,000 p.a. for 3 years = NZ$90,000 unless there is clear evidence the business will provide drawings in first year,
plus
b) business money, whatever is needed for the business. If you need a loan to get through, this must be arranged prior to application - not easy. Surfer Chick might need some sizeable capital to set up a holiday park - land cost or lease costs plus assets/property, working capital etc.

And bankruptcy within past 5 years will automatically exclude under LTBV unless you can get excpetion to policy (Ministerial level I think)

And yes, unless you have good reason you DO have to follow through with the job. NZIS have budgeted extra $ this year for improved verification of job offers.....not to mention the fact that NZ seeks bona fide applicants with good intentions.

Regards

Originally posted by theguitardoctor
Yeah you are right, bankruptcy would stop the LTBV. £70,000 is your choice, but we are going over with £50K and it seems to be a good enough platform to start with, but then you have children which is an expense I suppose, what with the whole growing thing....

You don't have to start the job you apply for by all accounts - they never follow it through, though I'd be sceptical on this one with all the changes coming in....

all the best anyway, Rich
Old Sep 18th 2003, 12:31 am
Drowning Member

Thanks for all the advice, we are starting small. Hoping to have one or two self contained units to start with, everything else will come with time. I am planning to work full time, if I can get it! Setting up a site for camping use will take time and money. We have run before we can walk before!

By the way I haven't been bankrupt myself, so it's still an option I suppose.
Old Sep 18th 2003, 1:29 am
Life's next chapter is?

Originally posted by Jamie Smith
Hi Rich (GuitarDoctor)

Please be careful with your advice...

LTBV capital required is generally calculated as;
a) Living money @ $30,000 p.a. for 3 years = NZ$90,000 unless there is clear evidence the business will provide drawings in first year,
plus
b) business money, whatever is needed for the business. If you need a loan to get through, this must be arranged prior to application - not easy. Surfer Chick might need some sizeable capital to set up a holiday park - land cost or lease costs plus assets/property, working capital etc.

And bankruptcy within past 5 years will automatically exclude under LTBV unless you can get excpetion to policy (Ministerial level I think)

And yes, unless you have good reason you DO have to follow through with the job. NZIS have budgeted extra $ this year for improved verification of job offers.....not to mention the fact that NZ seeks bona fide applicants with good intentions.

Regards
Hi Jamie,

Sorry, the info was not meant to be binding, it's just ballpark, but I hope Surferchick got that. I was informed by the NZIS that I needed $1000.00 per month per person on the LTBV to have the necessary acceptance with regards to funding. This equated to approx £9,000 UK per annum at that time, hence my figures (for 2 of us)....of course this is in addition to any monies needed for the business.

I thought the bankruptcy stopped you under the LTBV - looks like that's the case.....

I got the non-job follow through from another thread, hence my "sceptical about this" comment......I knew that was way to lax to stand....I don't know who suggested it though..

regards, Rich
Old Sep 18th 2003, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

miss brodie is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck guitardoctor.

The Wellington winds are just starting to gather speed, so be prepared for some pretty blustery weather for the first few weeks. If you're looking for a rental property - remember this ... good roof. good roof!

i will keep my eyes open for your business and come and buy guitar stings from you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.