Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Yes - I've got a job!!!

Yes - I've got a job!!!

Old Aug 7th 2007, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

M_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really nice
Default Yes - I've got a job!!!

Hey guys,

I've got a job! Hurrah. We have the PR visas anyway, started applying for jobs a few months ago and after my second ever phone interview I've been offered a job with Hobsons Bay City Council in Melbourne as Online Communications Officer! (Had a follow up interview over webcam before they formally offered it to me which was rather scary!)

Definitely takes the pressure off us a bit. Really excited and a little nervous. Start on Oct 8th.

Thanks for all the phone intv advice etc. on this forum.

J - from M_and_J.
xx
Old Aug 7th 2007, 3:04 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Yes - I've got a job!!!

Originally Posted by M_and_J
Hey guys,

I've got a job! Hurrah. We have the PR visas anyway, started applying for jobs a few months ago and after my second ever phone interview I've been offered a job with Hobsons Bay City Council in Melbourne as Online Communications Officer! (Had a follow up interview over webcam before they formally offered it to me which was rather scary!)

Definitely takes the pressure off us a bit. Really excited and a little nervous. Start on Oct 8th.

J - from M_and_J.
xx
Excellent !!
Old Aug 7th 2007, 3:06 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

congratulations

how did you find the telehone interview?
great news
keep us updated with your progress
bec
Old Aug 7th 2007, 3:07 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Thats fab news! How organised do you feel now
Old Aug 7th 2007, 5:20 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations! Thats brilliant news!
Old Aug 7th 2007, 6:56 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

wow, great news. Thats one less thing to worry about. All the best

Joex
Old Aug 7th 2007, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys,

J - from M_and_J.
xx
congratulations
Old Aug 8th 2007, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

M_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really nice

Originally Posted by egghead4
congratulations

how did you find the telehone interview?
great news
keep us updated with your progress
bec
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the congrats.

Phone interview was ok. Benefits are that you can have you notes around you, wear clothes you feel comfortable in and they can't see you going bright red!

Downside is that you can't see their body language or see if they are nodding and looking encouraging as you answer.

The first one I did went badly because I was so nervous and I over prepared. I tried to think of all possible questions they might ask and answers. As soon as they asked something I'd not thought of I panicked!

Webcam/Skype interview wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I had to keep the video window fairly small so they didn't blur so I'm assuming they did the same which means you can't see each other in masses of detail. Plus because there was 3 of them they had to sit fairly far away to all be in shot. There was no time delay so we didn't talk over each other either.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

newlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nice

Congrats........ Where an earth would we be without the net, how did we ever cope??
Old Aug 8th 2007, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

SafetyJohn has a spectacular aura aboutSafetyJohn has a spectacular aura aboutSafetyJohn has a spectacular aura about

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the congrats.

Phone interview was ok. Benefits are that you can have you notes around you, wear clothes you feel comfortable in and they can't see you going bright red!

Downside is that you can't see their body language or see if they are nodding and looking encouraging as you answer.

The first one I did went badly because I was so nervous and I over prepared. I tried to think of all possible questions they might ask and answers. As soon as they asked something I'd not thought of I panicked!

Webcam/Skype interview wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I had to keep the video window fairly small so they didn't blur so I'm assuming they did the same which means you can't see each other in masses of detail. Plus because there was 3 of them they had to sit fairly far away to all be in shot. There was no time delay so we didn't talk over each other either.
Congrats!
I agree with regards to to phone interviews, if you can relax and have all your notes in front of you, you can't go wrong. I was able to walk around, check notes, have a drink. In the the end it was a bit like a chat with a colleague on the phone - can't be bad had two job offers last week both on the same day as the interviews!
Just need to;
Sort visa
Sell house
Sort shipping
Get place to live
Buy tickets.............Aghhh