Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Yes, 2nd hand cars are more expensive here but.......

Yes, 2nd hand cars are more expensive here but.......

Old Oct 1st 2010, 11:29 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yes, 2nd hand cars are more expensive here but.......

Originally Posted by ponyrama
Well thank fluff for that! I'm off to cash in some dollars for GBP ready for my trip back next April. Might buy a car whilst I'm there just so I can say I got a bargain!
Get a Harley, go nuts
Old Oct 1st 2010, 11:56 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katsmajic
they last forever....

we got an old laser, 1988, paid $900 for it, 2and a half years on its still going strong.
Good point. The Hyundai I sold was in really good condition for it's age - not a spot of rust and had no oil leaks. It's got 170k on the clock but I reckon it's good for another 100k with a bit of TLC.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 12:56 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Good point. The Hyundai I sold was in really good condition for it's age - not a spot of rust and had no oil leaks. It's got 170k on the clock but I reckon it's good for another 100k with a bit of TLC.
Our lil lasers got 260k on the clock, oh wants to get it to 300k, its not the best looking car but she goes and goes well at that...
our 'new' (4yr old) kia blew up after 18mths, so got an almost new Peugeot now.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Our lil lasers got 260k on the clock, oh wants to get it to 300k, its not the best looking car but she goes and goes well at that...
I have a Ford Laser too. Mine's a 2000 Glxi model. Brilliant car
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I dont get this whole t"hings are more/less expensive here than there" thing. Okay so its relevant when you are moving and transferring your cash etc and every one wants a good exchange rate - but after that surely its all relative to the life you live and what you earn here - makes no difference how much a car costs there if you're not buying one.

My sister is always banging on about the price of bread - and yes when you do the sums, since the dollar got strong, it costs more here now, but all I know is that I spend less on groceries, petrol, bills etc than i ever did in the UK (except the internet. Dont mention the internet. Who mentioned internet?)

Can someone please explain it to me? Am I missing something?

Since the Guam Pipeline opened internet prices have been steadily and quickly dropping to the extent now you can get truly unlimited internet @ 24 mbits (thats bloody fast) at 29 dollars per month.... from TPG and 39 bucks per month from Dodo.... The caps are just about dead in the water now.

http://www.tpg.com.au/products_servi...us_pricing.php

I would imagine everyone will be trying to get off of their plans now.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I dont get this whole t"hings are more/less expensive here than there" thing. Okay so its relevant when you are moving and transferring your cash etc and every one wants a good exchange rate - but after that surely its all relative to the life you live and what you earn here - makes no difference how much a car costs there if you're not buying one.

My sister is always banging on about the price of bread - and yes when you do the sums, since the dollar got strong, it costs more here now, but all I know is that I spend less on groceries, petrol, bills etc than i ever did in the UK (except the internet. Dont mention the internet. Who mentioned internet?)

Can someone please explain it to me? Am I missing something?
It depends on how many of those Aussie dollars arrive inbound into your bank account every month. The more arrive, the less aggrieved and confused people feel. That is all that counts.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 1:21 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I almost mentioned Kia (any Kia) as a marque to avoid ... apparently the spares and servicing costs are horrendous here ...
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Since the Guam Pipeline opened internet prices have been steadily and quickly dropping to the extent now you can get truly unlimited internet @ 24 mbits (thats bloody fast) at 29 dollars per month.... from TPG and 39 bucks per month from Dodo.... The caps are just about dead in the water now.
Would any sane person voluntarily go with Dodo for internet? From all the negative comments about them, the company chose a good name to describe themselves...

The plans you refer to are not available in this area - no ADSL2 on this exchange.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 1:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I almost mentioned Kia (any Kia) as a marque to avoid ... apparently the spares and servicing costs are horrendous here ...
Second-hand Saabs are cheap here.

I paid $270 dollars for my 87 Saab - love it. I am considering upgrading to a newer 91 Saab with a large engine for $400.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

I almost mentioned Kia (any Kia) as a marque to avoid
Which I think are part of the same group as Hyundai, another marque I would avoid!
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 2:41 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Second-hand Saabs are cheap here.

I paid $270 dollars for my 87 Saab - love it. I am considering upgrading to a newer 91 Saab with a large engine for $400.
Bargain! I like Saabs, wanted a old-school 900 Turbo in black, made do with a9000 with a turbo-charged 2.3L ... went like stink
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 3:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Which I think are part of the same group as Hyundai, another marque I would avoid!
Mine's been excellent. Shipping it over too. Hopefully arrives this week.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 4:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Would any sane person voluntarily go with Dodo for internet? From all the negative comments about them, the company chose a good name to describe themselves...

The plans you refer to are not available in this area - no ADSL2 on this exchange.
Its going to be interesting to see how IINet respond to this
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 5:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bargain! I like Saabs, wanted a old-school 900 Turbo in black, made do with a9000 with a turbo-charged 2.3L ... went like stink
I probably won't gamble on this one as the bonnet is faded and the Mrs would instantly see it as a downgrade and would prefer this older one.

Mine is a 2 door 900i 2.0 (non Turbo).

The old school 2 door Turbos start around $1000 on Ebay.
Anything with 4 doors is so unpopular that they get given away.

In Melbourne there is a Saab specilalist who know what they are doing and reasonably priced. I like going to them for services because you get a newer Saab as a loan car which you can then cut around in for the day!
They often have cars for sell, they had a silver 2.3 '97 900 for about 3k which I might have got in other circumstances.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

Don_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really nice

The older ones had Mitsubishi inards and were quite tough. The Getz and Rio are very cheap new but you get what you pay for. Despite what dealers and the media may say Korea is not up Japanese standards when it comes to cars.

Edit to add:
Yes you are right, they are the same group.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.