British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Yes, 2nd hand cars are more expensive here but....... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/yes-2nd-hand-cars-more-expensive-here-but-687715/)

Amazulu Oct 1st 2010 11:52 am

Yes, 2nd hand cars are more expensive here but.......

......that's not the whole story. I've just sold a 1999 Hyundai Accent for $2500 (UK value GBP400-1000). Thing is, I only paid $2000 for it - this is the first time ever that I've made money on a car. I've probably been a bit lucky as I got it for a bargain but I would have been happy to break even.

So yes, 2nd hand cars are more expensive in Australia but you get a better price when selling them on.

freebo Oct 1st 2010 12:25 pm

Re: Yes, 2nd hand cars are more expensive here but.......

Well done.

Cars (2nd hand or new) are far more exy here, winder if the strong dollar will make any difference on imported cars?

ABCDiamond Oct 1st 2010 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by freebo (Post 8889203)
Well done.

Cars (2nd hand or new) are far more exy here, winder if the strong dollar will make any difference on imported cars?

Last time I looked, many of the new cars were cheaper here, except for European imports of course. But that was a few years ago.

How do these compare in the UK now:
$12,890 New Hyundai Getz S Hatchback 3dr 1.4i
$13,990 New Proton Satria Neo G Hatchback 3dr 1.6i
$16,780 New Ford Fiesta CL Hatchback 5dr 1.6i
$29,990 New Toyota Camry Altise Sedan 4dr 2.4i

freebo Oct 1st 2010 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8889263)
Last time I looked, many of the new cars were cheaper here, except for European imports of course. But that was a few years ago.

Honest answer is I don't know. I do know is I sold a recent BMW 330ci convertible and near new Land Rover in the UK before heading over, for the pounds I got (even at an exchange rate of 2:1, which it isn't) I could get nowhere near buying the same cars here.

Ho hum, I've got my ScoobyDoo, bought new, which fits nearly as much stuff as my lovely Land Rover, but isn't half the car. Didn't come here for material gain, which is a good job really :huh:

Don_Angel Oct 1st 2010 1:00 pm

That price range is easy to get rid of if it's got an rwc. I see clapped out old Holdens with a different colour bonnet on the side of the road for more than that. I reckon I will lose on my corrolla as it was bought on the Marooka ripoff mile when we first got here. I regret not getting a brand new honda jazz for just a few grand more.

freebo Oct 1st 2010 1:05 pm

Thing I miss since moving to Australia:

1) Family
2) Friends
3) The cars I could buy for the price they charge for an old heap of crap here

It goes without saying the list of things I don't miss is much longer...

freebo Oct 1st 2010 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Don_Angel (Post 8889295)
I regret not getting a brand new honda jazz for just a few grand more.

I bought a brand new car when I got here, no regrets other than the fact its a basic Japanese SUV, nowhere near the standard of a European motor.

P.S. No offense to folk with Japanese cars, I have one, but I'd rather have an Audi than a Toyota, in Europe the the price difference seems smaller than in Australia.

Gegsy Brown Oct 1st 2010 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8889263)

ford fiesta hatchback £10.995

MartinLuther Oct 1st 2010 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by freebo (Post 8889286)
Honest answer is I don't know. I do know is I sold a recent BMW 330ci convertible and near new Land Rover in the UK before heading over, for the pounds I got (even at an exchange rate of 2:1, which it isn't) I could get nowhere near buying the same cars here.

Ho hum, I've got my ScoobyDoo, bought new, which fits nearly as much stuff as my lovely Land Rover, but isn't half the car. Didn't come here for material gain, which is a good job really :huh:

I would have thought those cars are expensive here because of the Luxury Car Tax? :unsure:

Amazulu Oct 1st 2010 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by freebo (Post 8889203)
Well done.

Cars (2nd hand or new) are far more exy here

2nd hand yes but not so for new. A lot are cheaper here. The Jetta I just bought is virtually the same price as it is on the UK - and the Aussie model has a better spec than the UK one.

Saying that, I'm sure the recession in the UK is throwing up some new car bargains.

ponyrama Oct 1st 2010 11:09 pm

I dont get this whole t"hings are more/less expensive here than there" thing. Okay so its relevant when you are moving and transferring your cash etc and every one wants a good exchange rate - but after that surely its all relative to the life you live and what you earn here - makes no difference how much a car costs there if you're not buying one.

My sister is always banging on about the price of bread - and yes when you do the sums, since the dollar got strong, it costs more here now, but all I know is that I spend less on groceries, petrol, bills etc than i ever did in the UK (except the internet. Dont mention the internet. Who mentioned internet?)

Can someone please explain it to me? Am I missing something?

katsmajic Oct 1st 2010 11:16 pm

they last forever....

we got an old laser, 1988, paid $900 for it, 2and a half years on its still going strong.

DeadVim Oct 1st 2010 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by ponyrama (Post 8890492)
I dont get this whole t"hings are more/less expensive here than there" thing. Okay so its relevant when you are moving and transferring your cash etc and every one wants a good exchange rate - but after that surely its all relative to the life you live and what you earn here - makes no difference how much a car costs there if you're not buying one.

My sister is always banging on about the price of bread - and yes when you do the sums, since the dollar got strong, it costs more here now, but all I know is that I spend less on groceries, petrol, bills etc than i ever did in the UK (except the internet. Dont mention the internet. Who mentioned internet?)

Can someone please explain it to me? Am I missing something?

No, you are missing nowt :)

As you say, it's relevant for starters but comparisons from then on in are pointless if you really want to make a go of it. I probably compared and converted stuff from AUS to UK for the first 3 months ... once I was earning in dollars then I got on with it.

However, all this IS relevant if you are weighing up a move so it's all good information to have on the boards. Especially where to shop and avoid getting ripped off when you are straight off the plane and dealing with everything else.

Every unnecessary dollar not in a car dealer's pocket has to be a good thing :D

freebo Oct 1st 2010 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by MartinLuther (Post 8890421)
I would have thought those cars are expensive here because of the Luxury Car Tax? :unsure:

That's probably it, in the UK the Land Rover was about £30k new, over here the same car is about 65-70k and thats the comparison I was doing, I just compared the Subaru I bought and its about the same price in the UK.

ponyrama Oct 1st 2010 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 8890509)
No, you are missing nowt :)

As you say, it's relevant for starters but comparisons from then on in are pointless if you really want to make a go of it. I probably compared and converted stuff from AUS to UK for the first 3 months ... once I was earning in dollars then I got on with it.

However, all this IS relevant if you are weighing up a move so it's all good information to have on the boards. Especially where to shop and avoid getting ripped off when you are straight off the plane and dealing with everything else.

Every unnecessary dollar not in a car dealer's pocket has to be a good thing :D

Well thank fluff for that! I'm off to cash in some dollars for GBP ready for my trip back next April. ;) Might buy a car whilst I'm there just so I can say I got a bargain! :thumbsup: