British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   yep,Another tax question...group certificates (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/yep-another-tax-question-group-certificates-676300/)

>Trigger< Jul 12th 2010 10:37 am

yep,Another tax question...group certificates

anyone know how long an employer has to issue a group certificate?

some say 14 July others 14 August..cant find bugger all on the ATO website

Fanks...

ExSmoggie Jul 12th 2010 10:59 am

Re: yep,Another tax question...group certificates

Hi,

Employers have until 14th July to give employees their group certificates. The employers then have until 14th August to lodge them with the tax office.

roaringmouse Jul 12th 2010 11:39 am

Originally Posted by >Trigger< (Post 8695559)
anyone know how long an employer has to issue a group certificate?

some say 14 July others 14 August..cant find bugger all on the ATO website

Need to be given to you by 14 July - found this on the ATO website. They're also called payment summaries - the name changed from group certificates in 2001.

Pollyana Jul 12th 2010 11:56 am

Originally Posted by roaringmouse (Post 8695693)
Need to be given to you by 14 July - found this on the ATO website. They're also called payment summaries - the name changed from group certificates in 2001.

Large number of Aussies (certainly in Qld) still call them Group Cerificates though.

roaringmouse Jul 12th 2010 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8695750)
Large number of Aussies (certainly in Qld) still call them Group Cerificates though.

Yep - Queensland is certainly behind the times :rofl:

>Trigger< Jul 12th 2010 12:34 pm

Thanks for that.

ABCDiamond Jul 12th 2010 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by roaringmouse (Post 8695761)
Yep - Queensland is certainly behind the times :rofl:

I wouldn't pick on just QLD, most people in Australia know them as Group Certificates... ;)

New South Wales Government...
http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/cv/apply_new.html

Group Certificates or pay records; or

Sally Simpson Jul 12th 2010 1:07 pm

I was told July 17th today at work but either way, you should get it this week by law!
Not holding out much hope though as employed by QLD Health & their system is currently what you might call shambolic! Just waiting for someone to take them to court!:thumbup:

roaringmouse Jul 12th 2010 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8695861)
I wouldn't pick on just QLD, most people in Australia know them as Group Certificates... ;)

Not in the places I've worked, and anyway my wife is from QLD so it's totally fine to pick on just Qlders!!

I mentioned that they have been called payment summaries since 2001, as a search for group certificates may not come up with much. Indeed, it seems your best google result was a reference deep down in a page on applying for a certificate of competency from NSW Maritime.

ABCDiamond Jul 12th 2010 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by roaringmouse (Post 8697156)
Not in the places I've worked, and anyway my wife is from QLD so it's totally fine to pick on just Qlders!!

I mentioned that they have been called payment summaries since 2001, as a search for group certificates may not come up with much. Indeed, it seems your best google result was a reference deep down in a page on applying for a certificate of competency from NSW Maritime.

I only looked at .gov.au sites... but as you mention it, some other Google searches then (from the first 2 pages of a google search):

The top Google search result suggests: www.ato.gov.au/content/16023.htm

24 May 2008 ... On the ATO site it states that your boss is required to supply a group certificate to employees by 14th July

ATO policy & guidelines ... Keyword Listing - Group certificate ...
http://www.ato.gov.au/taxprofessiona...%20certificate

13 Sep 2007
After much 'persistence' the former employer gave me an inaccurate group cert. The ATO told me to put in an estimate of my earnings

8 Nov 2008
contact the ato and ask for assistance, but in the meantime see what else you can find in case you can't get a group certificate

Veterans Affairs Card; Tertiary Education Institution ID Card; ATO Group Certificate; ATO assessment notice or advice; A telephone, gas or electricity bill ...
www.docdownload.com.au

Note: The ATO will only accept Group Certificates printed using MYOB Accounting ... The Group Certificate Assistant can be found by clicking the Print Group ...
www.accountingsolutions.com.au

22 Aug 2008
Not sure but you could use e-tax in which case you don't have to send the group certificate to the ATO.

1 Aug 2007
Missing Group Certificate! Careers + Education. ... and mention the fine for not providing a group certificate (call the ATO to find out)
and I shall stop at this one on the Taxation Institute of Australia website

One of my clients received an "audit letter" stating that his income was incorrectly reported on his 2008 Taxation Return, instead of $79,000 gross wages only $69,000 was reported. So I looked up the group certificate..
http://www.taxinstitute.com.au/news/on-pre-filling
;)

roaringmouse Jul 12th 2010 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8697181)
I only looked at .gov.au sites... but as you mention it, some other Google searches then (from the first 2 pages of a google search):

The top Google search result suggests: www.ato.gov.au/content/16023.htm

24 May 2008 ... On the ATO site it states that your boss is required to supply a group certificate to employees by 14th July
You really need to follow your search links - the page on the ATO website is titled PAYG payment summaries - individual non business, and nowhere on the page does it mention group certificate.

ATO policy & guidelines ... Keyword Listing - Group certificate ...
http://www.ato.gov.au/taxprofessiona...%20certificate
Again,you really need to follow your search links - that page on the ATO website has "No documents for the current selection" for the search results...

13 Sep 2007
After much 'persistence' the former employer gave me an inaccurate group cert. The ATO told me to put in an estimate of my earnings

8 Nov 2008
contact the ato and ask for assistance, but in the meantime see what else you can find in case you can't get a group certificate
With these 2 showing older dates, and no context (i.e. you haven't provided the link) then it doesn't really mean anything.

Veterans Affairs Card; Tertiary Education Institution ID Card; ATO Group Certificate; ATO assessment notice or advice; A telephone, gas or electricity bill ...
www.docdownload.com.au
Yet again, you really need to follow your search links - the page you linked to has none of the above I could see.

Note: The ATO will only accept Group Certificates printed using MYOB Accounting ... The Group Certificate Assistant can be found by clicking the Print Group ...
www.accountingsolutions.com.au
And yet again, you really need to follow your search links - the page you linked to has none of the above I could see.

22 Aug 2008
Not sure but you could use e-tax in which case you don't have to send the group certificate to the ATO.
Another one with an older date, and no context (i.e. you haven't provided the link) then it doesn't really mean anything. It looks to me to be an entry someone has made on a forum.

1 Aug 2007
Missing Group Certificate! Careers + Education. ... and mention the fine for not providing a group certificate (call the ATO to find out)
Another yet another one with an older date, and no context (i.e. you haven't provided the link) then it doesn't really mean anything.

and I shall stop at this one on the Taxation Institute of Australia website

One of my clients received an "audit letter" stating that his income was incorrectly reported on his 2008 Taxation Return, instead of $79,000 gross wages only $69,000 was reported. So I looked up the group certificate..
http://www.taxinstitute.com.au/news/on-pre-filling
Now we both know here that this actually goes "So I looked up the group certificate – oops, sorry, the PAYG Payment Summary Individual Non Business"