Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A year's gone by already.................

Wikiposts

A year's gone by already.................

Old Jul 21st 2003, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

Vanou is an unknown quantity at this point

In response to your last posts, Jacqui and Pollyanna, I completely agree with you. Distance might make visiting harder, but it can also make you closer to your friends and relatives.

We've been in canada for more than 3 years now and I've never felt nearer my parents, especially my father and my brother. Before, although I only lived a few hundred km from them, I only saw them a couple of times a year, for a family dinner, just a few hours during which we could hardly talk of important things. Now, we mail each other often and I've actually been calling them more often here than I used to do when we lived in the same country!

It's true that some friends start forgetting you after a while, but we also started forgetting some of them too. I guess it's natural that only the ones you really shared a deep friendship with keep in touch. But we expected it and also made many new friends here.

Now that were getting ready to settle in Australia, I guess it will be the same. My mother is scared because she find it so far away, but she didn't even muster the courage to come and see me in Montreal, which is only a 7 hours flight. So, what's the difference, really? When you only talk on the phone or send e-mails, being in Paris or Melbourne makes no difference. And as you both say, for emergencies, you can always take a quick flight back. I guess we don't see the distances the same way our parents or grand-parents do. For us, the world is much smaller.
Old Jul 21st 2003, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

ellen1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rosy
This is not the first time you have chosen to have a go at me on this forum Gra.B. Why?

And please don`t assume I "failed" within a couple of months. I have done very nicely thank you whilst I`ve been here (now 14 months actually) but decided fairly early on that Oz didn`t give me what I was looking for.

However, I have had a great time here, seen some amazing sights, met some fantastic people, and enjoyed myself - up to a point.

As I have repeated many, many times before, I wish everyone success in their new life here. Just because I chose to question some posts doesn`t mean I disagree with them - just need a little clarification on points which I don`t or can`t understand.

Go and have a chat with Ellen 1 - you make a good pair.
well thats it then gra.b. because we dared to challenge rosy's incenstivity we are a "right pair" good lord give me strengh!!!
rosy you need to get a life, you are making a fool of yourself.

Old Jul 21st 2003, 6:28 am
Badge

Default rosy

I think that was a bit unfair - you have never complained about other people being happy - or used a tone as far as I am aware - in fact you have a reputation for being big enough to say if was not *ultimately* for you. You've even gone on record to say that you still quite liked aspects of Australia..

I think there are others who are much more negative. Rosy is an informative asset to this column.

badgers

Last edited by badgersmount; Jul 21st 2003 at 6:32 am.

Old Jul 21st 2003, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

This is not the first time you have chosen to have a go at me on this forum Gra.B. Why?

And please don`t assume I "failed" within a couple of months. I have done very nicely thank you whilst I`ve been here (now 14 months actually) but decided fairly early on that Oz didn`t give me what I was looking for.
Ok, perhaps I shouldn't have said that, I did have a sore head though...so I apologise...
I just feel that sometimes your tone is crying out for a confrontation & can see no other reason for the comments, and I'm sure deep down you know this. Example being on this post, you're initial comment to the orig poster which others picked up on, then another pop at ellen when she hadn't got 'angry' at all, then the one directed at Whisky, it all seemed un-called for.

The reason I mentioned a couple of months is due to the following quotes from yourself,
Copyright Rosy circa April '03
-So far, its all been FANTASTIC. Been here 8 weeks, bought HUGE house, pool, HUGE AMOUNT OF LAND-
-For what it`s worth, we are soooo glad we sold when we did. We came over here 2 months ago, having sold the house a few weeks before we came-
-Yes, I have to agree having been here for a bit longer now-
-In answer to one of the replies to my earlier post, we lived with relatives for the first 6 weeks (not easy) but luckily found our house quickly-
-Since arriving here approx. 3 months ago, I would now say that the grass is definitey not greener, just a different colour!!!-
...no, I can't believe I dug those up either! Too much time on my hands..but that's where the confusion comes from....not that I care how long you've been there or anything..

Anyway, sorry again, I'll try to bite my tongue in future,

Gra..
xxx
Old Jul 21st 2003, 6:37 am
Badge

Default distance and rellies

I have been back in the UK 6 months and I still haven't seen my mother - I haven't seen her for 18 months now and that last time was the first time in 18 months as well. bloody hell twice in 3 years!! she lives an hour away...

She is always too "busy" to see me so I cannot be bothered.

However webcams and the like will make her very close.

badgers

Last edited by badgersmount; Jul 21st 2003 at 6:40 am.

Old Jul 21st 2003, 6:39 am
sue rose

Interested to know why you`re leaving your children and grandchildren to go to the other side of the world - what made you decide to leave them all?
Dear Rosy,

The decision to go was easy but leaving the family will be extremely difficult but we are all individuals and our family philosphy has always been to support one other in our decisions even if we didn't agree it was the right decision.

At 47, if I don't do it now I may never get another opportunity, besides with all the technology and travel options around it really isn't so far away. I would not ask my daughter to change her dreams to suit me, I would ask her to share them with me and help her to achieve them if I could as she has done with me.

There are many more reasons why we are doing this but it would take me too long and would probably bore everyone to death.

Sue Rose

Old Jul 21st 2003, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light

its not what you say its the way that you say it....ta ta ta da dum da dum da da

ps-sometimes distance makes the heart grow fonder!
Old Jul 21st 2003, 7:49 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

sometimes distance makes the heart grow fonder!
Never a truer word spoken Ruthyman! And I should know with 20 days left till Carl lands at Heathrow - haven't seen him since March.......
Old Jul 21st 2003, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light

Hallo Pollyanna
10 days till im off. Time flies eh!.
Do you think there will be a London get -together in Sept?
5 months is a long time (but I wont be rude!)
Im trying to cure my toothache with champagne-the painkilllers just arent working...
Old Jul 21st 2003, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gra.B

If you`d had a little more time you could have also found a subsequent post which explained that I had only been in our new house for 8 weeks, but had been in Australia considerably longer.

Apology accepted.
Old Jul 21st 2003, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sue rose
Dear Rosy,

The decision to go was easy but leaving the family will be extremely difficult but we are all individuals and our family philosphy has always been to support one other in our decisions even if we didn't agree it was the right decision.

At 47, if I don't do it now I may never get another opportunity, besides with all the technology and travel options around it really isn't so far away. I would not ask my daughter to change her dreams to suit me, I would ask her to share them with me and help her to achieve them if I could as she has done with me.

There are many more reasons why we are doing this but it would take me too long and would probably bore everyone to death.

Sue Rose
thanks for that Sue. I was only asking as most of the people on here who are emigrating have young children and are doing it not just for themselves but also their children. I think it must be far more difficult to make the decision to go at a later stage in life and think you are very courageous!!! Hope it all works out for you!
Old Jul 21st 2003, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

If you`d had a little more time you could have also found a subsequent post which explained that I had only been in our new house for 8 weeks, but had been in Australia considerably longer.

Apology accepted.
Fair do's, but it was all the other quotes that confused me...
Old Jul 21st 2003, 12:34 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by whisky
Gra.B
Thanks, but I don't even bother replying to PB. He never has anything to say of interest. Just bitter and nasty.
Rosy, mmm well, I understand that she is not happy out in Oz, and wants to come home to the UK. We all make mistakes, and we have to realise that it doesn't mean that we have failed, just that it wasn't the right thing for us/them.
Being that little bit older, one realises these things, as what you expect in your 20s and 30s is not the same as you want into your 40s and 50s.
Its not worth replying, as it just spoils what was originally a good post.
I am saying no more, and will ignore.

Whisky
You condition needs a cure try banging your head , medication will not help but a few years as a refugee will.

Old Jul 21st 2003, 12:36 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PeteY
Don't forget the internet as a method of contact too !

Email......good replacment of snalmail (not all the time, a handwritten letter is great). You can include pics and other attachments.

Chat programs.....good instant contact. You can have a webcam and a mic linked up and "video conference"!!! My wife loves haveing a webcam session with her folks.

Lastly.....somthing thats getting easier to do, is to set up your own website. You need only give the url to family and friends, then just have a few sections that you update regulaly.

My dad and i are doing one together at the moment....he will update the england side...ill do the australia side, so the entire family can see what each other is up to. Just need a photo album, a news page and an archive, then make sure you update it regularly. Really good method of contact.

I know none of this replaces actually being there.....but the world is alot "smaller" than it was 20 years ago. Flights are constantly getting cheaper too...

What fun be a TV star , dream on .

Old Jul 21st 2003, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Gra.B
Fair do's, but it was all the other quotes that confused me...
Still playing at the fake "I don't get it" stuff are you Grabbie? You know Rosy's story, same as everyone, because she has been honest enough to put it down, so stop buggering about and making yourself look stupid, playing kids games of "I'm confused". Rosy's got more sense than most here, and sees through the holiday brochure rubbish quickly. It'll take you years, especially in Dunedin, where people are preserved in vinegar so they don't go off.

Merry Christmas, Wilf.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.