Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A year's gone by already.................

Wikiposts

A year's gone by already.................

Old Jul 18th 2003, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

TIZUS is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jacqui,

Thank God everyone else was crying reading your post! I attempted to read it out loud to my husband but crumbled half way! It was great to read we leave for New Zealand on Wednesday - Emotions are running really high! Final good byes this week! Its hard trying to imagine how things will pan out when we arrive but your post helped.
Thank You
Tori
Old Jul 18th 2003, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rosy
Interested to know why you`re leaving your children and grandchildren to go to the other side of the world - what made you decide to leave them all?

I find this a strange question to ask.
Why not?
Can the older generation, (Parents, Grandparents) not have a life and do the things that maybe they weren't able to do in their younger days?
Are we past it?
Can we not still have a dream?

I also have a daughter and a grand-daughter, and another on the way, and yes I feel that I am leaving them. I have my moments of feeling really guilty, but if it were my daughters decision to go to Australia rather than mine, would she not do it, to please me? I don't think so.

I am 44 years old, and there is still a lot of life in the old dog yet, and I will be still doing what I want to do until it is time for me to be nailed down in my box.

In my job, I see too many people of the older generation wishing that they had done things instead of sitting there and not doing anything about it, and now they have so many regrets.

Yes, I will be the other side of the world from my daughter and grandchildren, but I have not abandoned. I will always be there for them whatever happens.

Sorry if I have got on my high horse about this one, but I happen to be in that parent/grandparent category, and cannot see what difference it makes whether you are the child or the parent. It is still a big decision.

Whisky
Old Jul 18th 2003, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jacqui

An enjoyable post, thanks for being so honest. Best of luck to you and the family.

footie chick x
Old Jul 18th 2003, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

TIZUS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by whisky
I find this a strange question to ask.
Why not?
Can the older generation, (Parents, Grandparents) not have a life and do the things that maybe they weren't able to do in their younger days?
Are we past it?
Can we not still have a dream?

I also have a daughter and a grand-daughter, and another on the way, and yes I feel that I am leaving them. I have my moments of feeling really guilty, but if it were my daughters decision to go to Australia rather than mine, would she not do it, to please me? I don't think so.

I am 44 years old, and there is still a lot of life in the old dog yet, and I will be still doing what I want to do until it is time for me to be nailed down in my box.

In my job, I see too many people of the older generation wishing that they had done things instead of sitting there and not doing anything about it, and now they have so many regrets.

Yes, I will be the other side of the world from my daughter and grandchildren, but I have not abandoned. I will always be there for them whatever happens.

Sorry if I have got on my high horse about this one, but I happen to be in that parent/grandparent category, and cannot see what difference it makes whether you are the child or the parent. It is still a big decision.

Whisky
My thoughts too Whisky - We shouls all live our lifes for ourself but it doesn't mean we don't care about others!
Tori
Old Jul 19th 2003, 12:08 am
Part of that group......

vickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant future
Default A year gone by

What a surperb piece of writing...I also had tears streaming down my face. I can't begin to imagine how we'll feel when we hit that stage. But it just shows that with true detemination you'll get to where you want to be....

Vickeyvixen
Sydney hopefully August 2004
Old Jul 19th 2003, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by Jeannie1
Hi Jacqui,

What an amazing post. I'm sitting at my computer with tears streaming!! We are on the other side of the country to you, in Melbourne, having been here three months now, and it is reassuring to know that it does take a while to settle. While we are certain we have done the right thing, we are missing our friends and family, and keep wondering if we will make new ones. I'm at the lonely stage now, and it's horrible, so it's good to know it does get better.
Thanks Jacqui, I'll go and find a tissue now.
Jeannie
Jeannie

You must come to the meet up in Melbourne when it happens. There'll be so many people in the same boat as you, all looking to make friends in a new city.

It should be fun...please come along.

Where abouts in Melbourne are you living? I'll be there at the beginning of September (staying at my parents house).

Regards
Old Jul 19th 2003, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Jeannie1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jaykay
Jeannie

You must come to the meet up in Melbourne when it happens. There'll be so many people in the same boat as you, all looking to make friends in a new city.

It should be fun...please come along.

Where abouts in Melbourne are you living? I'll be there at the beginning of September (staying at my parents house).

Regards
Hi Jaykay,

We would love to come to the meet up. Didn't know there was one in the pipeline. Does anyone know where and when yet.

We are living in Berwick.

Keep in touch, and see you when you arrive. Hope all goes well in the meantime.

Jeannie
Old Jul 19th 2003, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ellen1
Whatever Sue's reasons for migrating they are her own,
all the best to you sue and all those in the same boat, you don't need to justify your actions to anyone..

Ellen1

Ellen - your reply came across as being very angry with me for asking a simple question. I wasn`t seeking "justification" as you put it. As I said, I was merely interested.

Sue has every right to do what SHE wants to do, and I agree with you on that. I am just curious as to what reasons people chose for moving here.

Please don`t get so angry.
Old Jul 19th 2003, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by Jeannie1
Hi Jaykay,

We would love to come to the meet up. Didn't know there was one in the pipeline. Does anyone know where and when yet.

We are living in Berwick.

Keep in touch, and see you when you arrive. Hope all goes well in the meantime.

Jeannie
Jeannie

Here's the thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=156259

Regards
Old Jul 19th 2003, 7:28 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Great post. Lots to think about
My hat goes off to all of you who are taking this step with children and jobs and etc to cope with
We have never ending lists of things to do and there are only wo of us, we know the countryside where we are going well and we do not have to think about jobs

So well dne and keep posting please.
Old Jul 19th 2003, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

ellen1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rosy
Ellen - your reply came across as being very angry with me for asking a simple question. I wasn`t seeking "justification" as you put it. As I said, I was merely interested.

Sue has every right to do what SHE wants to do, and I agree with you on that. I am just curious as to what reasons people chose for moving here.

Please don`t get so angry.

i was not "angry" with your question, i was pointing out that the decision to leave family behind (like most people do) is a very difficult and personal one and i am sure if people wanted to "explain" their reasonings" to others on the site they would, but i would imagine most wouldn't do it so openly with almost strangers for fear of rebulk or lack of understanding.

ellen1
Old Jul 20th 2003, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all
Default Re: A year's gone by already.................

oh jacqui, you've touched a raw nerve with so many of us who will be on our way soon. being in this limbo land right now is so nerve wracking, house sale - is it on or off? will another one drop out? do we accept a new offer? do we drop the price?
then theres the friends and family, some almost aggressive with their questions and our reasons why, we say its quality of life and being able to afford a better house and have a boat, live by the sea etc etc
we accept it will be hard work and we won't know where everything is, we know we've got to go through the stages you mentioned.
i worry about what to take with us, about the shipment disappearing, about getting through the journey and keeping our heads if there are delays etc.!
you really put it into words very well and so i'd like to thank you. very gald its all fitting into place with you now, hope we can say the same next year.
karen
Old Jul 20th 2003, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all
Default Re: A year's gone by already.................

God Jacqui - you are accountable for a few puffy eyes on this forum - mine included. Very close to heart with reference to everything being so unfamiliar and yeah when you start to sing along to the jingles on the radio n' stuff it really does make you feel more secure.

Hope everything continues to go "Swimmingly" for you (geddit)

Diane
Old Jul 20th 2003, 5:34 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A year gone by

Originally posted by vickeyvixen
What a surperb piece of writing...I also had tears streaming down my face. I can't begin to imagine how we'll feel when we hit that stage. But it just shows that with true detemination you'll get to where you want to be....

Vickeyvixen
Sydney hopefully August 2004
Just an after note to a good post if I was a wantnabe immo I would take this in.

. While hubby is at work and the kids are at school, sometimes life doesn’t seem so different to what it was before. The emails are getting less and less, I guess our friends and relatives aren’t thinking about us as much now.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jul 20th 2003 at 5:36 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2003, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by whisky

Whisky

How can you claim to be "always there for them" when you are the other side of the world???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.