Year in Oz

Old Apr 8th 2006, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold
Default Year in Oz

It is hard to believe but hubby and I have been in Oz a year now. It is just over a year ago from when we landed in Brisbane airport. I was 5 and a half months pregnant. A year later we have a 8 month old bub (who BTW has got me up at 3.30am )

It has been a roller coaster of a year. The first few months were fantastic. We settled in quickly, had bubs, and had some brilliant times. After that I have had a few bouts of homesickness, but despite that have had some really enjoyable moments. Lots of them are to do with Zekie. Seeing him sit up and recently crawl for the first time. Others like chilling out with friends for a BBQ. Christmas was great, relaxing in the paddling pool. Meeting with family in the evening for a seafood buffet.

I didn't appreciate how hard it would be to adjust to life in another country. The heat in particular has been hard to get used to. The thing I am missing most about the UK right now is the changing seasons. In QLD it just feels like varying degrees of hotness.

I am looking forward to exploring Brisbane. I haven't been into the city much since we first got here. I feel there is so much to see and do still.

I hope this post makes sense LOL as I am typing it in the middle of the night whilst rocking bus back to sleep.

Thanks for reading this
Kate
(bubs has just fallen asleep, thank goodness )
Old Apr 8th 2006, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Year in Oz

Originally Posted by KatieStar
It is hard to believe but hubby and I have been in Oz a year now. It is just over a year ago from when we landed in Brisbane airport. I was 5 and a half months pregnant. A year later we have a 8 month old bub (who BTW has got me up at 3.30am )

It has been a roller coaster of a year. The first few months were fantastic. We settled in quickly, had bubs, and had some brilliant times. After that I have had a few bouts of homesickness, but despite that have had some really enjoyable moments. Lots of them are to do with Zekie. Seeing him sit up and recently crawl for the first time. Others like chilling out with friends for a BBQ. Christmas was great, relaxing in the paddling pool. Meeting with family in the evening for a seafood buffet.

I didn't appreciate how hard it would be to adjust to life in another country. The heat in particular has been hard to get used to. The thing I am missing most about the UK right now is the changing seasons. In QLD it just feels like varying degrees of hotness.

I am looking forward to exploring Brisbane. I haven't been into the city much since we first got here. I feel there is so much to see and do still.

I hope this post makes sense LOL as I am typing it in the middle of the night whilst rocking bus back to sleep.

Thanks for reading this
Kate

Kate, it sounds fab so far. Its nice to see someone giving such an honest review of their time so far. Thanks

Lisa.xx
Old Apr 8th 2006, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oliverandlisa
Kate, it sounds fab so far. Its nice to see someone giving such an honest review of their time so far. Thanks

Lisa.xx
sshhh,"dont wake the baby,nice post though.take care "whispering x irish
Old Apr 8th 2006, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

jojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the post. Great to know you're enjoying it! We hope to be heading out before the end of the year. Know what you mean about the seasons. I felt exactly the same when I was in New Zealand. You're always going to miss certain aspects of the UK but it sounds like you've got a fantastic lifestyle and are making the most of it!!
Old Apr 8th 2006, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

oz1967 has a brilliant futureoz1967 has a brilliant futureoz1967 has a brilliant futureoz1967 has a brilliant futureoz1967 has a brilliant futureoz1967 has a brilliant future

Hi ya kate

Where about in Brisbane have you settled? We, that is me, hubby and daughter Ellie (4yrs) are planning to go over either before the end of the year or just after. We have passed all the relevant paperwork and medicals and now wait on our visa's to arrive.

Hubby has lived in Oz before (Perth), when he was a teenager (20yrs ago) we have family there so our initial thought was to go to Perth, however it is known to be the most isolated place in the world. We have been to the Gol Coast (Brisbane) a few years back (before the terror arrived) and we really liked it. It's strange that it has only taken us 9 months from start to this point and now when it comes to choosing where to live we have only maps, websites and a small memory of our time there to help us choose.

If you could let us know of any good areas that would be great. We like the look of Mango Hill area and Alexandra Hills / Birkdale areas within our price range of $400.

Thanks Toni
Originally Posted by KatieStar

Thanks for reading this
Kate
Old Apr 8th 2006, 9:30 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oz1967
Hi ya kate

Where about in Brisbane have you settled? We, that is me, hubby and daughter Ellie (4yrs) are planning to go over either before the end of the year or just after. We have passed all the relevant paperwork and medicals and now wait on our visa's to arrive.

Hubby has lived in Oz before (Perth), when he was a teenager (20yrs ago) we have family there so our initial thought was to go to Perth, however it is known to be the most isolated place in the world. We have been to the Gol Coast (Brisbane) a few years back (before the terror arrived) and we really liked it. It's strange that it has only taken us 9 months from start to this point and now when it comes to choosing where to live we have only maps, websites and a small memory of our time there to help us choose.

If you could let us know of any good areas that would be great. We like the look of Mango Hill area and Alexandra Hills / Birkdale areas within our price range of $400.

Thanks Toni
Hi Toni

Depends on what your looking for but $400,000 won't buy you much in the areas you've mentioned. We are currently renting in Redland Bay, and though we do like it, we feel the prices are a bit steep compared to areas like Cornubia / Shailer Park.
We've just bought our 1 st Aussie home in Shailer Park and got so much more for our money (1060sq mtr block / big 4 bedder / huge pool / spa / not a thing to do ) for less than a renovation property would cost in the Redlands.
We are also close to excellent schools for our ankle biter, and closer to the freeway with will take 25-30mins off both our journey times to and from work.
I know its all down to personal choice, but living in the Redlands is'nt worth $100,000 to us ( Thats the extra we would have had to pay for something similar )
Hope this helps
Old Apr 8th 2006, 9:58 pm
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point

[Brilliant thread - well done!
The first year of motherhood is a stressful time for anyone even with all your family around you - so youve done great, and the move also. Hats off 2 u.

hope you continue to have happy times

L-j x

(i jus said to hubby "can u imagine getting a pram up n down our stairs :scared: each day?"
Old Apr 8th 2006, 10:37 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4500 Times
Hi Toni

Depends on what your looking for but $400,000 won't buy you much in the areas you've mentioned. We are currently renting in Redland Bay, and though we do like it, we feel the prices are a bit steep compared to areas like Cornubia / Shailer Park.
We've just bought our 1 st Aussie home in Shailer Park and got so much more for our money (1060sq mtr block / big 4 bedder / huge pool / spa / not a thing to do ) for less than a renovation property would cost in the Redlands.
We are also close to excellent schools for our ankle biter, and closer to the freeway with will take 25-30mins off both our journey times to and from work.
I know its all down to personal choice, but living in the Redlands is'nt worth $100,000 to us ( Thats the extra we would have had to pay for something similar )
Hope this helps
I disagree, there are plenty of good houses in the $300-400K range if you are prepared to look at things that arent brand new - I should know I've bought 2 of them .
Old Apr 8th 2006, 10:49 pm
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
I disagree, there are plenty of good houses in the $300-400K range if you are prepared to look at things that arent brand new - I should know I've bought 2 of them .
Mrs DAgboy,

Just looked on your link - it looks fantastic. What a great idea. Very useful to anyone going to your neck o the woods. Those first few weeks are so daunting - and like you say - it's the littlethings that you just dont know but NEED to know.

I wish u evry success with your business,

Lj