Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Year 7 Australia

Year 7 Australia

Old Aug 20th 2005, 9:59 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Year 7 Australia

Ok, I see the question asked many many times of similarities in education system to the uk.

Here is a sample of My sons day, yes saturday at school.

Because of his achievements in Math, he is in the Gifted and Talented group at school. Albeit he is bemused at why they chose him, cos apart from math hes just your average happy go lucky kid, and just plods along.

Part of the G+T club, is that kids, actively represent their school, in inter school challenges. Ranging from BRAIN busting, math competitions, to sports challenges. etc...

This is all over Brizzy.

Today his G+T day was for, Acting.. rather like Whos line is it anyway.

The kids from grade 5, 6 and 7 had to work in groups of 6, totally UNSUPERVISED or Pandered to by their teachers.

The subject was, what if their was no money in the world?

Kids had to rehearse sketches, learn lines, produce scripts, produce costumes... then create balance sheets, do cost analysis, profit and loss of their production, then compete !!

IM SERIOUS !!!!

One of the groups, Debs my wife, who has just arrived back with Danny, said.. they were " AWESOME"

...more in a mo...

The concept was to see if kids, grasped the idea and the complexity of the task, and their converted it into media, and re enact their scenario.. as a result they would be scored by panels of judges, on originality and conceptual understanding.

....back on track...

One of the groups, did a short 10 minute play, basically, entering an imaginery Bunnings Store to get some wood, to build their new house. Of course without money, no workers were there to assist, and so their play touched on the anarchy that surrounded this situation...

I said "F*** ME " , wife said no, then wentonto describe the 6 kids were aged 10 to 12 years of age.

Now I went to school a long time ago, and I have 3 kids, who each did study in the UK.

For me the system here is MUCH more involved, and much more fun, it stretches kids imaginations, and makes them think and do, rather than sit back and coast

Just My Thoughts

Oh I saw mention of Karma earlier, still dunno what it is, but if its as strong as wild turkey Ill have sum
Old Aug 20th 2005, 10:25 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Default Re: Year 7 Australia

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Ok, I see the question asked many many times of similarities in education system to the uk.

Here is a sample of My sons day, yes saturday at school.

Because of his achievements in Math, he is in the Gifted and Talented group at school. Albeit he is bemused at why they chose him, cos apart from math hes just your average happy go lucky kid, and just plods along.

Part of the G+T club, is that kids, actively represent their school, in inter school challenges. Ranging from BRAIN busting, math competitions, to sports challenges. etc...

This is all over Brizzy.

Today his G+T day was for, Acting.. rather like Whos line is it anyway.

The kids from grade 5, 6 and 7 had to work in groups of 6, totally UNSUPERVISED or Pandered to by their teachers.

The subject was, what if their was no money in the world?

Kids had to rehearse sketches, learn lines, produce scripts, produce costumes... then create balance sheets, do cost analysis, profit and loss of their production, then compete !!

IM SERIOUS !!!!

One of the groups, Debs my wife, who has just arrived back with Danny, said.. they were " AWESOME"

...more in a mo...

The concept was to see if kids, grasped the idea and the complexity of the task, and their converted it into media, and re enact their scenario.. as a result they would be scored by panels of judges, on originality and conceptual understanding.

....back on track...

One of the groups, did a short 10 minute play, basically, entering an imaginery Bunnings Store to get some wood, to build their new house. Of course without money, no workers were there to assist, and so their play touched on the anarchy that surrounded this situation...

I said "F*** ME " , wife said no, then wentonto describe the 6 kids were aged 10 to 12 years of age.

Now I went to school a long time ago, and I have 3 kids, who each did study in the UK.

For me the system here is MUCH more involved, and much more fun, it stretches kids imaginations, and makes them think and do, rather than sit back and coast

Just My Thoughts

Oh I saw mention of Karma earlier, still dunno what it is, but if its as strong as wild turkey Ill have sum
Great post TF

I think you're right about the education but it also depends a lot on the child .....and the school

I've sent you karma for your cheek....and for the comment above.

It wasn't wasted m8 .....you daft pommy barstud

Last edited by Phoenixuk2oz; Aug 20th 2005 at 10:27 am.

Old Aug 20th 2005, 10:30 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Great post TF

I think you're right about the education but it also depends a lot on the child .....and the school

I've sent you karma for your cheek....and for the comment above.

It wasn't wasted m8 .....you daft pommy barstud

Aww thanks you Pommie Tart
Old Aug 20th 2005, 10:32 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Aww thanks you Pommie Tart
ROFPML....are you sure ure not an Aussie

Wa*ker

Old Aug 20th 2005, 10:34 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
ROFPML....are you sure ure not an Aussie

Wa*ker
hahahaha ya Dag