Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Year 1 Booklist - calculator!

Year 1 Booklist - calculator!

Old Jan 19th 2008, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of
Default Year 1 Booklist - calculator!

OK - have finally managed to find my 5 year old son's Year 1 booklist and decided to start getting some of the things on the list. First thing was a $20 calculator! Now my son can't even add 5+3 in his head or write the number 9 the right way round - so the thought of him using a calculator is pretty scary. I have discussed with OH and we've decided not to buy it and hand a note to the teacher explaining why.

Have I done the right thing?

Galba
Old Jan 19th 2008, 1:46 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Year 1 Booklist - calculator!

Originally Posted by galba
OK - have finally managed to find my 5 year old son's Year 1 booklist and decided to start getting some of the things on the list. First thing was a $20 calculator! Now my son can't even add 5+3 in his head or write the number 9 the right way round - so the thought of him using a calculator is pretty scary. I have discussed with OH and we've decided not to buy it and hand a note to the teacher explaining why.

Galba
Sounds daft. Last year's book list for Tiddler going in to Year 7 didn't have a calculator. Shouldn't worry about it.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Rob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by galba

Galba
I think so! Our 10 yo has a very long book list, and many of the items on it are still there at the end of the year. She didn't have a calculator until Year 3, but then didn't use it until year 4. Last year it was a CD-ROM she brought home completely untouched - I wouldn't be surprised if the thumb drive she's got on this year's list comes home the same way.

r12p
Old Jan 19th 2008, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rob12paws
I think so! Our 10 yo has a very long book list, and many of the items on it are still there at the end of the year. She didn't have a calculator until Year 3, but then didn't use it until year 4. Last year it was a CD-ROM she brought home completely untouched - I wouldn't be surprised if the thumb drive she's got on this year's list comes home the same way.

r12p
I didn't get anything back from either of my son's teachers. They had their pencil cases with pencils etc but no spare jotters, glue, scrapbooks, folders etc

Also noticed that our school seems to charge a lot for things like glue ($3.30) while a friend at another school gets charged much less ($2.20) (both lists are from Woolridges sp?) I'm guessing that the P&C committees make some extra money from this.

Year 1 booklist was $151.00

Galba
Old Jan 19th 2008, 2:02 pm
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rob12paws
I wouldn't be surprised if the thumb drive she's got on this year's list comes home the same way.

r12p
Don't worry.. i bet there will be lots of MP3's going through that drive..
It will get used
Old Jan 19th 2008, 4:05 pm
West is best!

oz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to all

Sorry to butt in here, are the booklists over and above the school fees?

thanks

ob
Old Jan 19th 2008, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oz bound
Sorry to butt in here, are the booklists over and above the school fees?

thanks

ob
Yes.

OP - I feel that you have done the right thing
Old Jan 19th 2008, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

I'm a teacher in the UK and I know most schools here don't introduce calculators until Year 3. However, I if I were you I would have a quick chat with the teacher and see what they say. If they have planned a scheme of work around using calculators your child may just end up feeling a bit embarrassed if they don't have their own and have to either share with another child or borrow one from school. I know I wouldn't be the slightest bit annoyed if a parent asked me a question like the one you have! I would get slightly peeved though if a parent though they knew better than me and just didn't get one cos they though it wasn't necessary!!!